Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ginny Weasley

potter101

Ginny Weasley

Ok. I'm trying to decide if all of this is something Ginny could come close to thinking, after seeing and reading what happened to her.

Perhaps for the hundredth time, Ginny watched her new owl, Waldo, soar out of her apartment window. She had been ecstatic when she received him for her birthday, but now, she felt like she wanted to blame everything on the poor bird.

“ Why did I send him another letter? Ginny thought to herself miserably. “Because I’m weak. Because I’m believing in false hope. ” She thought. “Because…because I still…”

Ginny took a deep breath and could not say it, even to herself. She grimaced sadly and turned to glance around her apartment room. All the lies she had told about this place... Ginny’s excuses for hiding away floated through her mind, filling her head with heavy guilt. Her parents had been so reluctant to let her go after her seventh year. She was, after all, only eighteen and the world was unsafe, especially now with Lord Voldemort still around and plotting. There were still many disappearances and murders threatening the lives of all those who defied Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

Ginny had left anyway. She knew she was not any kind of threat. Why should she be? It wasn’t like she was an Auror and was out there dying for what she believed in. It wasn’t like she was powerful or like she was fighting against Voldemort. It was more like she was left behind to hide because she left home and Fred and George had offered her a room above one of their new location stores. But Ginny did not want to have to be around her brothers, who were so successful and amiable. She had told everyone that she needed her freedom and independence to learn the way of life. What a lie.

She knew she made horrible choices.

Why did she say okay when he asked her, that night so long ago?

Ever since the end of Ron and Hermione’s sixth year, she, Ginny Weasley, had changed. She was no longer the fiery, stubborn, lively girl she used to be.

At the same time, all Ginny needed was to see Harry again. She needed to know that there was still hope out there, a future for her. Ginny had to see Harry, to know that the man she loved was no ghost, no imposter or fake desire or shadow of what used to be. She had gotten no letters from him, only second hand words that she was sure were mostly attempts to make her feel better from family and friends. To know that she could have been out there, living a life worth living, and with Harry, was too much to bear.

She would be able to stand with him in the open world, saving it. She wouldn't be hiding and waiting, just holding on to something that was not there.

Did Harry know of how she was? Didn’t he know what he did, and what he didn’t do? Wasn’t he even sorry? Ginny wanted to cry at that thought.

Or else he was just out there he was out there, somewhere, trying to save the world, and the girl that he loved was sitting here in this lonely apartment, lost.

But even though she needed to see Harry terribly, she felt she could never forgive him.

Did he know what he did to her? He picked her up, let her touch the stars; feel the great divine, and then he dropped her. Didn’t he say that they couldn’t see each other?
    Note: this is a piece of the chapter

kumydabookworm
    I sort of skimmed it, I'll be honest. But Ginny is definitely not the kind of girl to be pining over Harry.

The books pull her off as an independent, fiery girl. I know you've said she's changed, but I don't think that anything short of a HUGE trauma in her life could cause this dynamic change.

She understands and actually wasn't surprised when Harry leaves at the end of the sixth book. Her upbringing (6 brothers!!!) has something to do with this attitude.

I simply can't see her pining after Harry. Waiting for him, yes, but I think she'd busy herself in the War effort, helping the Order, and taking care of her family.

Kumy

ginger_sporty_gal
    I agree with Kummy, she wouldn't cling onto Harry, she has proved this by dating Michael Corner and Dean Thomas before she was with Harry. Also I don't think she would want to stay in a flat and I highly doubt that her mother would let her go with her being the only girl in the family for quite a while. If she would do anything I think that it would be trying her best to try and find out what is happening with the war and try to help. She will definatly be bored just sitting in her flat by herself.

Hope I could help, and happy writing.

from

ginger

JaneA
    I also agree with everyone, that Ginny would not stay waiting for someone. She wouldn't change her whole personality (stubborn, fiery, etc.) for a guy, even if that guy was Harry. She would, however, be capable of leaving her family in order to be alone - not necessarily independent.

Even if she did live by herself, she wouldn't make it so obvious that she was grieving. I mean, you say her reaction at the break up in HBP. She didn't start crying at Harry, did she?

Very good writing, though, and I hope I helped somewhat.

JaneA

Starmaiden
    Poor Ginny deserves more attention than she's been getting! I agree with what's been said so far; let me see if I can do a breakdown.
    She had been ecstatic when she received him for her birthday, but now, she felt like she wanted to blame everything on the poor bird.
    My general idea is that this is a good portrait of an ordinary girl -- but I believe Ginny Weasley to be extraordinary. She's clear-sighted, focused, driven, knows what she wants and goes after it. The absolute best reference to her character is in Chapter 30 of HBP, "The White Tomb," when Harry breaks up with Ginny.
    “ Why did I send him another letter? Ginny thought to herself miserably. “Because I’m weak. Because I’m believing in false hope. ” She thought. “Because…because I still…”

Ginny took a deep breath and could not say it, even to herself. She grimaced sadly and turned to glance around her apartment room. All the lies she had told about this place... Ginny’s excuses for hiding away floated through her mind, filling her head with heavy guilt.
    Ginny doesn't lie to herself. When she's got a crush on Harry, she first dates no one else because she doesn't want anyone else. After Hermione encourages her to be more herself, she dates for fun but always knows it's Harry she wants. She tells him that -- "I never really gave up on you...I always hoped..." So yes, this very strong attachment is in character, but her attitude about it is not.
    Why did she say okay when he asked her, that night so long ago?
    Because he would have broken up with her anyway, for one, it didn't need her approval. For two, she supports him.
    At the same time, all Ginny needed was to see Harry again. She needed to know that there was still hope out there, a future for her.
    Ginny dated other boys while hoping Harry would notice her. She snogged other boys. She made friends (Luna, Neville), played Quidditch (and didn't show off to get Harry's attention. She has a strong self-image). She can live without Harry.
    Did he know what he did to her? He picked her up, let her touch the stars; feel the great divine, and then he dropped her. Didn’t he say that they couldn’t see each other?
    Yes, but Ginny let him go. She didn't cry at all; she told him, "I can't say I'm surprised. I knew this would happen in the end (the two of them breaking up). I knew you wouldn't be happy unless you were hunting Voldemort. Maybe that's why I like you so much."

She doesn't cry that he's left; she is proud of him and loves him for his drive. I do agree that she might want to be with him, but she'd want to fight alongside him, not just see and snog him. She's no china doll, is Ginny.

5 points to Ravenclaw

mecredi
    Ginny is like Harry(and Sirius) in that she is much more of an do-er than a thinker. We've already seen like get Harry in to trouble...but it seems that he has matured more in the 6th book. He is still hyper-emotional and hyper-active; the oppisite of Hermione, who, even when Sirius' life was on line, wanted to sit think and reason things out first.

Mistletoe
    Like everyone else said, Ginny is too fiery for her to be pining like that over Harry. Yes, she can pine over him, but not to that extent. She left her family, which for her is a very big deal.

Yes, after Harry had let her have a small taste of what she had wanted for so long, and then he just dropped her, she would be majorly traumatized. She had been infatuated by him from the moment they met. It would almost be better for her to never have tasted what she had wanted for so long, than to have had it for so short and then taken away so suddenly.

I think that Ginny may be a bit depressed after Harry said that she would be in danger, ovbviously, but I think that she would understand. If it's crucial to your story to have her take the worse end of the break-up, maybe you shouldn't make her seem so needy, because she is way too strong headed to ever admit that a boy had shooken her so badly.

...all Ginny needed was to see Harry again. She needed to know that there was still hope out there, a future for her. Ginny had to see Harry, to know that the man she loved was no ghost, no imposter or fake desire or shadow of what used to be.
    That is definitely not Ginny, she would make something of her life. Prove that she could keep going, even if the one she loved wasn't with her.

5 points to Slytherin

BonnieLvr87
    In this situation, she would probably take some action. It depends on how long it's been since she's seen Harry. If it's been a year, then she would set out to go save Harry. If it was a few weeks, then no - she would just say to herself that he was busy planning to save the world.

In book 6, she wasn't all sad and stuff when Harry said they couldn't be together. She just dismissed and said she knew it would happen. She didn't mope around. But, if a half a year to a year after that Harry isn't to be found, she still wouldn't mope. She set herself to a mission to find him.

Also, what story is that? I'd like to read it.

butterflykisses
    I first thought Ginny was OOC when I got to this part:
    It wasn’t like she was powerful or like she was fighting against Voldemort.
    Ginny knows she's powerful, like it was said before she grew up with six brothers, and with so much male around you have to learn how to stick up for yourself. Ginny's not one to let herself be bossed around or made feel weak.
    About fighting against Voldemort, why isn't she out there fighting with the rest? She joined the DA to prepare herself for Voldemort and most of her family is a part of the Order, she should be applying the skills she's learned, not moping around her apartment waiting for news from Harry, who --yea-- probably thinks of her but has his priorities in order and is too busy fighting a war to answer her owl.

In my mind, as soon as Ginny got out of Hogwarts she would be on the battle grounds right beside her friends and family. Too many of the people she knows are involved in this war against Voldemort, it would be farfetched for her to be the only one not being a part of it. Plus, I think Ginny is a little ambitious (due to her fiestiness [<--word?] and Gryffindor courage) and wants to get some action and recognition. Or it could just be my Slytherin side taking over...

5 points to Slytherin

hansolohpfrk
    I think that I'm posting this question in the right thread. Okay, let me tell you a bit of some background of the fic.

Okay, so she's nineteen and in the Order, being given 'missions', etc, etc.

So she's given a mission to kill someone (I'm not telling who, because I think it would make your opinions tilt in a certain direction.) but how would she react to that? Would she object, (but I want her to accept the 'assignment'), would she say yes right away, would she give a Hermione-ish lecture? (Unlikely, I know)

Help, please!

--Han Solo