Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginny Weasley

Hybrid View

potter101

Ginny Weasley

Ok. I'm trying to decide if all of this is something Ginny could come close to thinking, after seeing and reading what happened to her.

Perhaps for the hundredth time, Ginny watched her new owl, Waldo, soar out of her apartment window. She had been ecstatic when she received him for her birthday, but now, she felt like she wanted to blame everything on the poor bird.

“ Why did I send him another letter? Ginny thought to herself miserably. “Because I’m weak. Because I’m believing in false hope. ” She thought. “Because…because I still…”

Ginny took a deep breath and could not say it, even to herself. She grimaced sadly and turned to glance around her apartment room. All the lies she had told about this place... Ginny’s excuses for hiding away floated through her mind, filling her head with heavy guilt. Her parents had been so reluctant to let her go after her seventh year. She was, after all, only eighteen and the world was unsafe, especially now with Lord Voldemort still around and plotting. There were still many disappearances and murders threatening the lives of all those who defied Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

Ginny had left anyway. She knew she was not any kind of threat. Why should she be? It wasn’t like she was an Auror and was out there dying for what she believed in. It wasn’t like she was powerful or like she was fighting against Voldemort. It was more like she was left behind to hide because she left home and Fred and George had offered her a room above one of their new location stores. But Ginny did not want to have to be around her brothers, who were so successful and amiable. She had told everyone that she needed her freedom and independence to learn the way of life. What a lie.

She knew she made horrible choices.

Why did she say okay when he asked her, that night so long ago?

Ever since the end of Ron and Hermione’s sixth year, she, Ginny Weasley, had changed. She was no longer the fiery, stubborn, lively girl she used to be.

At the same time, all Ginny needed was to see Harry again. She needed to know that there was still hope out there, a future for her. Ginny had to see Harry, to know that the man she loved was no ghost, no imposter or fake desire or shadow of what used to be. She had gotten no letters from him, only second hand words that she was sure were mostly attempts to make her feel better from family and friends. To know that she could have been out there, living a life worth living, and with Harry, was too much to bear.

She would be able to stand with him in the open world, saving it. She wouldn't be hiding and waiting, just holding on to something that was not there.

Did Harry know of how she was? Didn’t he know what he did, and what he didn’t do? Wasn’t he even sorry? Ginny wanted to cry at that thought.

Or else he was just out there he was out there, somewhere, trying to save the world, and the girl that he loved was sitting here in this lonely apartment, lost.

But even though she needed to see Harry terribly, she felt she could never forgive him.

Did he know what he did to her? He picked her up, let her touch the stars; feel the great divine, and then he dropped her. Didn’t he say that they couldn’t see each other?
    Note: this is a piece of the chapter

kumydabookworm
    I sort of skimmed it, I'll be honest. But Ginny is definitely not the kind of girl to be pining over Harry.

The books pull her off as an independent, fiery girl. I know you've said she's changed, but I don't think that anything short of a HUGE trauma in her life could cause this dynamic change.

She understands and actually wasn't surprised when Harry leaves at the end of the sixth book. Her upbringing (6 brothers!!!) has something to do with this attitude.

I simply can't see her pining after Harry. Waiting for him, yes, but I think she'd busy herself in the War effort, helping the Order, and taking care of her family.

Kumy

ginger_sporty_gal
    I agree with Kummy, she wouldn't cling onto Harry, she has proved this by dating Michael Corner and Dean Thomas before she was with Harry. Also I don't think she would want to stay in a flat and I highly doubt that her mother would let her go with her being the only girl in the family for quite a while. If she would do anything I think that it would be trying her best to try and find out what is happening with the war and try to help. She will definatly be bored just sitting in her flat by herself.

Hope I could help, and happy writing.

from

ginger

JaneA
    I also agree with everyone, that Ginny would not stay waiting for someone. She wouldn't change her whole personality (stubborn, fiery, etc.) for a guy, even if that guy was Harry. She would, however, be capable of leaving her family in order to be alone - not necessarily independent.

Even if she did live by herself, she wouldn't make it so obvious that she was grieving. I mean, you say her reaction at the break up in HBP. She didn't start crying at Harry, did she?

Very good writing, though, and I hope I helped somewhat.

JaneA

Starmaiden
    Poor Ginny deserves more attention than she's been getting! I agree with what's been said so far; let me see if I can do a breakdown.
    She had been ecstatic when she received him for her birthday, but now, she felt like she wanted to blame everything on the poor bird.
    My general idea is that this is a good portrait of an ordinary girl -- but I believe Ginny Weasley to be extraordinary. She's clear-sighted, focused, driven, knows what she wants and goes after it. The absolute best reference to her character is in Chapter 30 of HBP, "The White Tomb," when Harry breaks up with Ginny.
    “ Why did I send him another letter? Ginny thought to herself miserably. “Because I’m weak. Because I’m believing in false hope. ” She thought. “Because…because I still…”

Ginny took a deep breath and could not say it, even to herself. She grimaced sadly and turned to glance around her apartment room. All the lies she had told about this place... Ginny’s excuses for hiding away floated through her mind, filling her head with heavy guilt.
    Ginny doesn't lie to herself. When she's got a crush on Harry, she first dates no one else because she doesn't want anyone else. After Hermione encourages her to be more herself, she dates for fun but always knows it's Harry she wants. She tells him that -- "I never really gave up on you...I always hoped..." So yes, this very strong attachment is in character, but her attitude about it is not.
    Why did she say okay when he asked her, that night so long ago?
    Because he would have broken up with her anyway, for one, it didn't need her approval. For two, she supports him.
    At the same time, all Ginny needed was to see Harry again. She needed to know that there was still hope out there, a future for her.
    Ginny dated other boys while hoping Harry would notice her. She snogged other boys. She made friends (Luna, Neville), played Quidditch (and didn't show off to get Harry's attention. She has a strong self-image). She can live without Harry.
    Did he know what he did to her? He picked her up, let her touch the stars; feel the great divine, and then he dropped her. Didn’t he say that they couldn’t see each other?
    Yes, but Ginny let him go. She didn't cry at all; she told him, "I can't say I'm surprised. I knew this would happen in the end (the two of them breaking up). I knew you wouldn't be happy unless you were hunting Voldemort. Maybe that's why I like you so much."

She doesn't cry that he's left; she is proud of him and loves him for his drive. I do agree that she might want to be with him, but she'd want to fight alongside him, not just see and snog him. She's no china doll, is Ginny.

5 points to Ravenclaw

mecredi
    Ginny is like Harry(and Sirius) in that she is much more of an do-er than a thinker. We've already seen like get Harry in to trouble...but it seems that he has matured more in the 6th book. He is still hyper-emotional and hyper-active; the oppisite of Hermione, who, even when Sirius' life was on line, wanted to sit think and reason things out first.

Angela_Prongs
    Quote Originally Posted by kumydabookworm
    But Ginny is definitely not the kind of girl to be pining over Harry.
    The books pull her off as an independent, fiery girl. I know you've said she's changed...
    I simply can't see her pining after Harry. Waiting for him, yes, but I think she'd busy herself in the War effort, helping the Order, and taking care of her family.
    I completely agree with this. When Harry broke up with her in HBP, she didn't seem heartbroken and lost. It was said that she looked as though she'd been expecting this. She knows that Harry felt that he had to do this, and she respects that. Sure, she may be sad, but it's not really like she's lost him, is it? It's not like he's turned into an awful guy who isn't even going to speak to her. And I hope what I'm about to say goes with this and that it isn't spam, but I think that Harry and the Weasleys are all in this together, whether Harry likes it or not.

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Sitting in a corner writing suspiciously.
    I am writing a fic set just after bill and fleurs wedding and ginny is writing a letter to harry, I want to know wether Ginny sounds OOC in this section:

Dear Harry,
    Of course you are forgiven, I thought we sorted this out (coughcough - got together again - coughcough) at Bill and Fleur’s wedding, I think I will name the owl Ivor like you suggested as it does suit him awfully well and it will remind me of you. A very classy owl Ivor is not though, he flew down the chimney in his haste to get your letter to me and don’t worry nobody has a clue that I know were you are. Ron and Hermione are fine I’m guessing if they are bickering, have they has another of their five second break ups yet, I really pity you, I would hate to be alone in their company for too long and it seems to me like you are going to be stuck with them for a while. God I miss you lot, ‘specially you Harry. I’m not going to pine for you but please write, it would make my day. Everyone was terrified when they found you guys gone; they calmed down when they saw your letter because it was proof that you’re alive, they’re still a bit hacked off mind. Tell Ron and Hermione I say Hi and that everything’s fine here and that Bill’s managed to convince mum they haven’t eloped although it took a while and was hilarious whilst it lasted. Fred and George we’re delighted at the idea and think that it would be a brilliant prank to make, like I dunno, evil elopers, convince your friends and family that you’ve run away to get married – I don’t think it will work. Gotta go, mum wants me to do the dishes, stupid chores.

As Ever

Ginny

P.S What the heck do you mean yours as ever?

Here is the letter she is reponding too:

Dear Ginny,
    I am so sorry we had to sneak away without saying goodbye, your Mum was planning to keep us all holiday and see us back to Hogwarts though and we had to leave straight away. Ron and Hermione are arguing nearby, I am writing this from the Broken Wand inn, just outside London, but soon we will be going to places without addresses, I brought you this owl from a nearby shop, he is yours to name as you wish and if you ever want to owl me just give him a letter with my name on and he will find me, I will write as much as possible but it will be difficult as sending lots of owls would draw attention to us, the owl I got you can come often though as barn owls are good at going unnoticed. I chose this owl because he looks so curious and lopsided, I hope you like him – I keep going to call him Ivor, I don’t know why it just seems to suit him, you’ll have to tell me his name so I will have something to call him. Hermione wants to show me something in a book; I’ll have to go,

Yours As Ever

Harry

P.S. Please say you accepted my apology at the wedding, I was just scared for you at the funeral and I made a bad decision.

P.P.S Don’t let anyone try and follow us as we’re moving on tonight.

Starmaiden
    Mostly, I think you've done her right. The only problem is punctuation. While the sentences sound like Ginny, because they're rather humorous, they run on, which is more generic-teen-girl than it is Ginny Weasley. (For more detailed help, you should stick this in the Excerpts of Murtlap section )

I do like that you have Ginny being sad he's gone, but not weepy, and we know that the Twins have rubbed off on her, so I think that's a good detail.

(Mods, I'm sorry if I shouldn't have answered, I tried to make it about Ginny!)

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    I was wondering about Ginny's friends at Hogwarts. We know she has friends of course, she seems to be quite popular, but like Harry said in HBP, she hangs with her own friends at school, and not with Ron, Hermione and him. But who are they? Is there any names mentionned in the books? I've read some fics where she's often friends with Luna Lovegood and the Creevey brothers, but is it canon, or just something made up by authors? Is it ok for me to just come up with some invented names and characters to be her friends in my fanfiction? Thanks in advance for your help!

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!