Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenophilius Lovegood

nysuperstarz

Xenophilius Lovegood

In my opoinion, he ws the most interesting new character in book seven. Just his entire image and demeanour. He was exactly what I expected him to be.

The lexicon explained his name:

“Xenophilius”=derived from the word “xenophile,” denoting a person attracted to that which is foreign or alien, and derived from the Greek root forms “xeno,” meaning “alien,” “strange” or “guest,” and “philia,” meaning “friendship,” “fondness,” “affection.”

I thought that was an intersting name and I decided to write a fic about him and his wife when Luna was younger. So, I need a bit of help characterizing, I think in the book he was under extreme circumstances and wasn't acting as he normally would.

So how would he act normally?

What sparked the love between him and his wife?

What kind of father do you think he would be?

How do you think the death of his wife affected him?

<3Roop

SlytherinTears
    Well I think that he must have been a decent father, because he leaves such a strong influence on his daughter. They have the same beliefs and I you really don't hear Luna talk ill of her father, such they must have a good relationship.

Marauder by Midnight
    When I read his name in DH, I had to laugh at how aptly he was named.

I had recently betaed a story featuring Luna and her father on the day of Bill and Fleur's wedding where Xenophilius seemed to respond so enthusiastically to anything Luna said, no matter how ridiculous they seemed. I think it's very possible that Luna had inherited her father's characteristics. He reminds me of an overgrown child - someone who doesn't quite want to let go of the childhood tales or imaginary creatures. Being the Quibbler editor and founder, I think he has an inherent nature to tell the truth as he knows it and he's not afraid of criticism. For example, he published the interview with Harry when the rest of the Wizarding world shunned the hero, didn't he?

I agree that his characteristics changed in DH probably, due to the circumstances. I don't blame him. He is a very caring father, so caring that he risks the lives of Harry and company just to get his precious daughter back safe. I don't think anyone thinks of him as a bad person - certainly Jo didn't want us to think that way, and I'm sure, if I were in the same predicament, I'd act the same way. I think he encourages Luna in everything she pursues; both of them seem to be the sort of people who don't care if the rest of the world is watching them. But it's important to also show that Xenophilius, as similar as he is to his daughter, is a grown-up in some ways. He shows a restraint that Luna never seems to have. I wouldn't say he's more mature, given that Luna is wise beyond her years, but he has an adult aura around him that is vital to capture when you're writing about him.

As for Xenophilius and his wife, I think it might be the draw toward new and unthinkable things that sparked their love. That's certainly a characteristic both of them seem to share. Mrs Lovegood (was there ever a name) had died trying out new spells. Xenophilius is a "pioneer" in magical creatures and conspiracy theories. The main thing might have been their abilities to think outside the box. In a world where people are narrow-minded, I think Luna's parents were able to pass on one distinct trait to their child -- to think for yourself. Luna seems to be able to take in everything around her and come to her own conclusions about them, much like what it would take to make a new spell or come up with a new conspiracy theory.

Hope I helped a little.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

So how would he act normally?
    I see him as a the little mad scientist. Kind of like Doc in "Back to the Future". Unlike a bookworm who spends their times with their faces in a book, I see him constantly in the outdoors exploring, touching, sensing all that is around him.

What sparked the love between him and his wife?
    Considering his name: “Xenophilius”=derived from the word “xenophile,” denoting a person attracted to that which is foreign or alien...

I feel that his wife must be the total opposite of what he is. Not that she would be so anal or anything, but she must contrast him so much that people would do double takes when they see them together.

Where he is frumpy and plain, she is stunningly gorgeous...

Its that whole opposites attracting scenario.

A loving father, which is kind of obvious when the trio goes to visit him. But I think he is the type who takes her on his explorations. He's the sharing type who wants to show Luna everything, which is why Luna's mind is so open to possibilities.

How do you think the death of his wife affected him?
    If anything, I think it keeps him close to Luna since she is the only thing of her that he has left. I think it still keeps him on his search to find the meaning of things and has him always questioning truth. Maybe that's because he hasn't quite grasped the reality of her death.
    M.R.S.

Marauder by Midnight
    I like mrsmcclnt thing about Xenophilius being the hands-on type of guy. I imagine he'd need to be to see the creatures he writes about.

I agree that Mrs Lovegood would be the exact opposite of Xenophilius physically, but I don't think she was personality-wise. As I had stated above, it takes a witch who's tolerant of doing something new to try new spells, especially those that might be dangerous. But I do think that she might have influenced the philosophical side to Luna, the part that always seems so wise. That might be something that was beyond Xenophilius and something he couldn't give to Luna.

I agree that the death of Mrs Lovegood would've brought father and daughter closer. I think his betrayal of Harry in DH could be part fanatical effort to keep the only family member we know of alive.

A Cappella
    I imagine Xeno Lovegood would be just like his daughter: very open-minded, striving to find out new things, and not being afraid to get hurt trying to discover new species. I think he would spend a lot of time in his garden, which yields many strange flowers and fruits. Maybe he would even breed different species of plants and fruit to produce an altered species that holds the characteristics of both parents. In the nighttime, he would probably read articles to Luna regarding newly-found species or something of the sort. I picture Xeno as a strong optimist. However, I believe he prizes his loved ones above his eccentric pursuits; DH was an example of that: he was even willing to stop supporting Harry to gain Luna back.

The love between Xeno and his wife was perhaps sparked by their similar interests. I mean, if you were Xeno, how many people would you find that share the same views as you? Xeno is a very unique man, so I imagine that when he met his future wife, something clicked, because she maybe was one of the first people he could talk to who wouldn't bash his ideas. I like to think that they met when they were both on a journey to find some strange creature.

As portrayed in DH, Xeno is an extremely devoted father. He will do anything--sacrifice anything--for the sake of his child. I think it's also partly because he sees so much in Luna that was like her mother (they did look very much alike), so he feels that if he loses Luna, he will lose a part of his wife as well. He is also a very influential father--much of Luna can be seen in Xeno. He most likely loves to spend time with his daughter, prompting her to keep her mind open and to explore new things just as he does. There is a strong bond between them that is very evident in the books. Luna doesn't hesitate to tell him anything, and he is excited when she makes a breakthrough. That, to me, is a clear sign of a strong relationship.

The death of Xeno's wife was probably a huge blow, but I imagine he would cover most of it up so he could be strong for Luna, who was only nine. He probably did grieve for a while and didn't restrain Luna when she grieved, but as I believe he's an optimist, he probably thought he should move on. Perhaps he tried to run from his grief by redoubling his efforts in his discoveries and in The Quibbler. Maybe he even started that magazine to rid his mind of the blows of tragedy; that's what many people do to escape: they occupy their minds on something else.

nikkiolapotter
    Wow.

Well, I was wondering- what would the extent of his love go? Like, let's say Luna's boyfriend got another girl pregnant. Would it be believable to try and keep it from his daughter, by any means possible? Even say, abduction? (I have a way for him to find out that the girlfriend is pregnant)

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiolapotter
    Well, I was wondering- what would the extent of his love go? Like, let's say Luna's boyfriend got another girl pregnant. Would it be believable to try and keep it from his daughter, by any means possible? Even say, abduction? (I have a way for him to find out that the girlfriend is pregnant)
    I feel that Xeno is the type of person who likes to expose the truths to things, hence The Quibbler.

I can see him gritting his teeth while trying to be cordial to the boy for Luna's sake, but something would be eating at him that he is not right for her. So he would go out and seek the truth and fill in Luna on the details.

Luna may not believe him at first since she's so use to him filling her head with fairytales, but Xeno would have all his ducks in a row so that she could not deny the evidence.

In the end, Xeno would feel that he served a greater good by telling her the truth instead of having her live a lie.
    M.R.S.

Ryan The Wizard
    His name is certainly a great indicator on his personality.

Although I think he is and his wife must've met because of their similar interests. Unless Xeno was extremely attractive, what kind of woman would take a man who prattled on and on about seemingly unreal characters? His wife probably grew to love and respect him very much, and so her death would've been a terrible tragedy for Mr. Lovegood. He probably threw himself into the Quibbler and into making his daughter happy after his wife died, which would explain the lengths he would go to (handing over another boy, just for his daughter) to retrieve her.

The fact that he threw himself into his daughter meant he was most likely an excellent father, devoted, fun, and most definitely living for that smile on her face.

Noel Weasley
    Hello! Well, Xeno, I agree with everyone about this. He's most likely going to keep his Luna close to him, seeing that she looks a lot like her mother. He believes a lot of the unbelievable. I imagine that if someone made up an animal and told Xeno about it, Xeno would go out and look for the animal and write about it in his magazine.

And about Xeno's looks. I always thought, ever since I read DH at is, that maybe, the spell that killed Luna's mother may have done something to Xeno's looks. He has white hair and his eye's are cross-eyed. I don't know how old Xeno is and if the white hair is genetic, but maybe he nearly died or something, protecting Luna.

I also imagined that Xeno would be in Ravenclaw, since he's trying to create a replica of the lost diadem of Ravenclaw. So that would mean that he would also be very smart and witty and not dumb and clueless. He seems to know what he's doing most of the time and is not afraid of what people think of him.

Hope this helped some!

~LR