Thread: Wizarding Currency, Quidditch

Hybrid View

tharob

Wizarding Currency and Quidditch

Hi,

Does anyone know what a galleon translates to in Euros? And also, how often is the Quidditch World Cup hosted? Is it based on the same as the football World Cup?

Thanks, rob.

Warning: Please use correct spelling and grammar in all posts.

JamesWys
    1 Galleon is worth 7.39 Euro's according to HP-Lexicon. The Quidditch World Cup is held every four years. I am not sure how it compares to football though. I would guess it would be a similar tournment style, round robin qualifing round and a bracket tournment to follow.

eevaa
    Quote from the Lexicon:

Quidditch through the Ages [...] says that the Cup was first held in 1473, and held every 4 years since. That means that the Cup had been held around 130 times by 1994 . Not even close to 422 [note: according to GoF the Cup in 1994 was the 422th]. Also, if the Cup has been held every four years from 1473, then 1993 and 1997 would have been Cup-years, not 1994, which is a problem with the timeline, as it currently exists.

Stubbornly_appeared

Quidditch and cash.

Info on money conversion is on Mugglenet, in the encyclopedia. I'm not nice enough to go and look right now.

As for the Quidditch Cup, I think it would work out like at Hogwarts, by points rather than wins. Because, in the match in GOF, Ireland wins even though Krum gets the Snitch. Points seem to matter more.

JamesWys
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbornly_appeared
    As for the Quidditch Cup, I think it would work out like at Hogwarts, by points rather than wins. Because, in the match in GOF, Ireland wins even though Krum gets the Snitch. Points seem to matter more.

Well, I'm not sure where you are going here. Ireland won both the game and the World Cup because they had over 150 points when Krum caught the snitch. They won the game outright and therefore, won the World Cup. It had nothing to do with prior wins and the points scored in those games.