Thread: Prefect Common Room?

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea

Prefect Common Room?

This question occurred to me the other night while I sat awake until four in the morning discussing the technical aspects of Hogwarts with my muse.

What is the possibility of Prefects having their own common room?

This made sense to me since having their own space would provide a less crowded place to work on homework (as all good little Prefects should ) and would also be a nice area for the Head Boy and Girl to post patrol schedules and hold meetings. More to the point, would you be put off reading if this room was mentioned in a fic?

Also, if such a room were to not exist, where would patrol schedules be posted and meetings held? Obviously, on the Hogwarts Express, they have their own compartment, but during the school year, would the Heads have to go around to each of the House's common rooms to give the Prefects the information they need?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

P.S. Just thought I'd mention that this room will not be used as a sexy plot device mirroring the infamous co-ed Head dorm. It's a common area, so I don't think anyone would risk being walked in on.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Um, to be honest, I don't think it's likely because I'm pretty sure we'd have heard about it in the books when Ron and Hermione were made prefects. I've always thought they just held meetings to discuss anything necessary in a spare classroom. Perhaps if you write a Next Gen, or Post Trio Hogwarts story, then they might introduce one to help with House unity, but personally I don't think a Prefects' CR was around before then.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Digging a Diary Out of the Toilet
    Hmm... There is a Prefects' bathroom, though, so it does make me wonder if a common room would exist... It obviously would not be a dorm, but I think that perhaps there would be a common meeting place for Prefects, though perhaps not as elaborate as a seperate area for Prefects to study and play games and hang out. As Carole pointed out, such a place would have been mentioned, and Hermione and Ron were almost always with Harry...
    Banner by Nadia and avvie by me

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    You've given me a lot to think about. Perhaps an entire common room is not believable enough, but maybe just a meeting area like Nagini said would be best. Maybe even just a bulletin board near the Prefects' bathroom, haha. The reason I though to explain why Ron and Hermione didn't really mention such a room would be, firstly, they didn't want to say much of anything about being Prefects in front of Harry fifth year, and secondly, they would prefer to spend time with Harry in the Gryffindor common room rather than a Prefect only common room where Harry wouldn't be allowed. Stretching believability, but not completely unreasonable, I think. However, just a simple meeting room might work better.

(I can't believe I'm devoting so much time to, literally, one sentence in my fic)