Thread: Communicating with Crookshanks

Hybrid View

StaceyLC

Communicating with Crookshanks

Did it ever specifically say in PoA how Sirius managed to "communicate" with Crookshanks? He brought Sirius the list of passwords, so I figured he must have gotten something like "I need to get into the castle" across.

LilykinsLove
    *is thinking along the lines of maybe crookshanks is just amazing*

maybe dogs and cats can speak to each other???

FenrirG
    I have to agree with LilykinsLove; either dogs or cats can speak to each other, or Crookshanks is just brilliant. But at the same time, Sirius said that Crookshanks knew he wasn't a dog... so I'm leaning toward Crookshanks being brilliant.

Also, remember that magical animals tend to be extremely intelligent. Owls, for example, know exactly what their owners are telling them.

Oh! And JKR said in an interview that Crookshanks is part Kneazle. Here's what the HP Lexicon has to say on them.

This very intelligent cat-like creature can detect unsavory or suspicious persons very well and will react badly to them. However, if a kneazle takes a liking to a witch or wizard, it makes an excellent pet. The kneazle has spotted fur, large ears, and a lion-like tail (FB). Crookshanks is part kneazle
    Probably his Kneazle-ness allows Crookshanks to understand that Sirius is trustworthy and that Peter is not; therefore, he wants to help Sirius.

Yeah. *nods* Hope this helps!
    Fenn

LilykinsLove
    *just thought of another reason*

Or MAYBE Crookshanks is an animagus. or MAYBE kneazles talented in the way that they can understands humans as owls do.

Are all owls magical?

Fenrir, I luff your avvie.

Emma

FenrirG
    Well, as for Crookshanks being an Animagus, I'm pre-etty sure [but not positive] that JKR said in an interview that he's not. Perhaps it was on her website. *checks* Yep, it says that he's not an Animagus.

Ooh, and thank you. <3 Isn't it adorable? /spam

StaceyLC
    I knew he was half-Kneazle. I just thought Dumbledore - or even Sirius - mentioned how he got Crookshanks to cooperate.