Thread: I am in a need of a Beastie…

L_edge

I am in a need of a Beastie…

I am writing a Fic in which Sirius is serving detention with professor Kettleburn. As punishment Sirius has to round up a certain magical animal and for the purpose of the story it must be big and have extremities sharp enough to give Black rather serious cuts. They must be cuts not burns and I can’t use the Blast Ended Skewts since Hagrid bread in Harry’s time in Hogwarts so they were not an issue during the Marauder days. Can anyone think of something big, sharp and pointy for me to use? I misplaced my “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”
    Thanks...

SlytherinTears
    You might find that your best bet is to go here - http://www.hp-lexicon.org/bestiary/bestiary.html

They have all of the information from Magical Beasts And Where To Find Them, and more.

Amber0_o
    dugbog XXX: This strange creature looks like just another hunk of dead wood floating in the marshes in which is lives. The Dugbog has finned paws and sharp teeth with which is attacks small mammals. The Dugbog is particularly fond of Mandrakes (FB).

Doxy XXX:The Doxy is a small fairy-like creature that is covered with black hair. They have sharp venomous teeth (FB). Doxies are pests. They can infest houses, taking up residence in the draperies. Removing them requires a good supply of Doxycide. It's a good idea to have an antidote for Doxy venom on hand as well (OP6).

Clabert XX:This arboreal creature resembles a cross between a monkey and a frog. Its smooth skin is mottled green. The Clabbert has short horns and a wide grinning mouth. Its long arms and webbed hands and feet allow it to move gracefully through the trees. On the Clabbert's forehead is a large pustule which flashes red when the Clabbert senses the approach of danger, including Muggles.

(It doesn't say much about teeth, but you could probably make them sharp)

jecleaver2
    Numero Uno on my list is a dragon because they just breath fire (this is only used as a last resort) they also scratch.

Amber0_o
    But I don't think they would have a lot of dragons on hand at Hogwarts, nor do I think they would entrust their care to a student. (especially one like Sirius) Instead, I think one that isn't *that* dangerous, but still has sharp teeth.

meryal
    How bad do the cuts have to be? Depending on that, he could have to round up Hippogriffs or search for Bowtruckles. You could also use a Dugbog, which is a creature that looks like a log of wood, but has sharp teeth.

Is it possible that he could be looking for something harmless, but is accidentally bitten by something else? In that case you could use any animal you wanted.

Hope some of that helps!

Stubbornly_appeared

Aha!

How 'bout a Blood-Sucking Bugbear? It's what Hagrid thinks is killing the roosters in COS, and it's name implies a perfect mix of the ominous, danger, and ridiculousness. In a legend, it supposedly eats naughty children (in detention?). What genre are you writing?

Dark_Lady_Z
    How about a pather :They are cool.
    A flesh eating rabbit (guess from where )
    Or a giant black dog, maybe Sirius gets the idea to be one from the dog.

---DLZ (Killer of Voldemort and Lover of kittens)

L_edge

Thanks for your feedback!!! :)

The cuts are supposed to be fairly serious and cause him quite a bit of pain. I don’t write overly gory but still… Detention he is serving is part of the punishment for the whole Snape/Remus/James fiasco and I can’t imagine Dumbledore taking it lightly. I don’t think dragons would work, I doubt Hogwards kept any, and things like Bowtruckles or Doxys might be a bit too tame…

Bugbear sounds interesting but I can’t find a lot on them aside from the fact that Hagid Mentions them in CoS is anything else known about them?