Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Draco Malfoy

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    Do you think that Draco would ever become an Auror, if he really saw the error of his ways and began to hate Death Eaters?
    I ditto Vorona, here. Malfoy would never become an Auror. It's not his thing, and no matter how much he changed, he wouldn't play 'hero'
    You've got to think about Malfoy from his POV and personality that JKR has set up. He's snarky, he's rude, he's a spoiled prat, and no matter how much life was has shortchanged him...habits are hard to break.
    Also Draco would never really hate Death Eaters, and he's be constantly confused about his thoughts. His entire family is made up of Dark Wizards, he's have a hard time just discarding that heritage. >.>
    He's a Slytherin through and through...he'd definitely work with the Auror (notice I didn't say "for" the Order) to save his skinny bum. But that doesn't mean he'd agree with it.

I've read two successful fics with Draco as an Auror and both of those gave loads of backstory as to why he became an Auror...in one he was disfigured. And the other, he wasn't really an Auror but worked for a sub-division (wizarding forensics)

Just keep in mind: Draco doesn't play 'hero' he's the villain in the story already.
    Do you think that Draco would ever become protective or feel fatherly love for a child that was not his own? if that child was Harry's?
    Ditto again with Vorona. The more important thing to keep in mind here is whether Draco had changed his blood prejudices....'cause this kid would be a half-blood, and he's rather biased. If he's still prejudiced (which he would be on some level - even a tiny one) he'd have a hard time bonding with the kid.

Either way...good luck with your story!

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

thegirllikeme
    Thanks all for you imput, espiecally about the child. I thought it would work, but I feel much better about it now. But him not being an Auror, well, not sure how that would work out. See, my whole story sort of went around that. The main plot bunny is Draco being hired to protect Harry's child and widow (yeah, Harry's dead)--and that can't really happen if Draco not an Auror. Do you think if I had the right back story it would work? Like after the war he was completely disowned by his entire 'dark wizard' family except for his mother and then a Death Eater or dark wizard kills her (possibly even Lucius--who knows?...even though that would actually work quite well with the story) That would make him build up a passionate hate and desire for revenge, which would make him hate dark wizards as a whole. It's sort of the way that someone so prejudice works. Hate just one; hate them all. Anyhow, I could see him becoming an Auror and spending years trying to track him down. That way he didn't become an Auror to be a hero, but for his own selfish reasons. Also, I can see him for a grand desire to redeem himself--though he's still that tough jerk who doesn't want to let anyone in--and, You know, become the least bit like his father as possible. He'd still be prejudice, because like it was said, old habits die hard, but it would be something I'm sure he would work through during the story. Yeah, but most of my story does ride on him being an Auror. Do you think, if I developed the back story I provided a bit more, that it would work?

meryal
    Quote Originally Posted by thegirllikeme
    Do you think, if I developed the back story I provided a bit more, that it would work?
    I think it really depends on how you write it. For example if being an Auror wasn't something that he wanted to do, but was something Voldemort wanted, he would do it because the threat of his family. By the time his parents were murdered, he would already be in the Academy training to become one. Also becasue he was disowned, he wouldn't have any money left, and he would maybe have to stick with the job. He would certianly wouldn't enjoy it, and would have issues fitting in, but it would be a steady, non desk job. It might be a bit more complex, but if he is somewhat cornered into the job, it could certainly work.
    ~Sophie

Vorona
    The main plot bunny is Draco being hired to protect Harry's child and widow (yeah, Harry's dead)--and that can't really happen if Draco not an Auror
    That's not true. In fact, I rather doubt that Aurors are hired to protect people. They're known as "Dark Wizard catchers" -- in other words, their primary responsibility is going to
    be tracking down dark wizards, not protecting potential victims.

*puts on Slytherin hat and thanks mugglmathdork/Ritta for the badge*

Who is the widow? Is she someone Draco might have had a connection with? How did Harry die? Did Draco owe him a debt of some kind? Is she well-known/have good connections? He may want to do *her* a favor thinking that then she might be in his debt (though this is a bit darker than it sounds like you want to make your Draco, but it would be interesting to see him go into that situation with that mindset and have him change through his exposure to this family).

Slytherins repay their debts. They're whole system of functioning is on favors and debts. So, I think it would be a lot more plausible if he ended up protecting them because he owed someone (Harry, widow, friend of the widow, etc.) a debt rather than becoming an Auror. And this works really well with your idea of wanting him to be nothing like his father... It could be that he "owes" this debt because of something his father did. That puts that conflict right in the center of things.

Okay, it's Bloody Harry Potter, the Boy who, whoops, finally died. He's a hero. Draco still has the taint of the Malfoy name. I can see him thinking that helping out the poor widow and child will help his reputation recover from his father's actions and prove that not all Malfoys are like that.

There could be private organizations that have wizards who are hired to protect people. I see him joining one of those more readily than being an Auror, also, again, since he would be conflicted about tracking down his old friends/family, but would be less conflicted about *protecting* someone for money. And again, it would help his reputation.

So, I think there are plenty of ways to have Draco protecting this family without having him be an Auror that fit much better with his personality.

thegirllikeme
    Who is the widow?
    Ginny

Is she someone Draco might have had a connection with?
    I don't think so; speaking according to canon he considers her a blood traitor.

But I don't know if he could have a connection with her. I'm not really a Draco/Ginny shipper...I'm not, I'm NOT *glares at plot bunny and hits with big carrot*

Did Draco owe him a debt of some kind?
    Yes. Notice I avoided telling you how Harry died, because I don't want to ruin my story, but let's just say that Draco was there; and no Draco did NOT kill him. But, yes, he does feel a bit indepted. Okay, he feels a LOT indepted!

Also, I like the idea of him being a protector of sorts. The only probelm is, there's no such office in the Ministry, but I guess it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to make something like that, a certain branch of the Magical Law Enforcement. Like the "Office for the Protection of Endangered Witches and Wizards". I can really see him getting into that place. It would allow him to redeem himself, without fighting outright. It WORKS! Thanks for the great idea, Vorona.

Pafoo
    Okay, I'm new to the D/G scene (the ship just started to make sense in my mind), and I seem to have a similar plot bunny as many others: auror!ginny + auror!draco = twu wuv. So I modified it. And I need some help.

Okay, my reason for almostauror!draco is that he wants to redeem himself; everyone knows the name Malfoy, and *everyone* hates him. No one will hire him till he gets a message from the Ministry, saying that they want to include him in the Revival project, which basically involves receiving orders from the Ministry that may be anything that aids the restoration of the Wizarding world after Voldemort's fall.

So, my questions, would he do it? Would he do it with a biting sense of sarcasm or general unwillingness?

Emry

Vorona
    thegirllikeme: I guess I don't understand the reason he would need to be involved in *ANY* Ministry job in order to protect her. But since you found something that works, I guess it's a moot point And I'm glad I was able to help!

Pafoo: First, I love your avatar... But that's neither here nor there. Yes, I can see him deciding that it would be in his best interest to go along with the post-war restoration efforts. I think he'd do it willingly... if he's matured beyond Hogwarts. Obviously, his father is well-regarded in Wizarding Society (before his arrest), so it's conceivable that he'd do his duty without complaint in order to look like an upstanding member of wizarding society.

In private, he'd probably hate that he had to do it, and would complain to anyone he felt safe complaining to. But in public, he'd probably make it seem as though he loved the idea and had volunteered for it.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    If you're going to stay true to Draco's persona, he wouldn't become an Auror to redeem his family name. That's so...lowly for a Malfoy - bad reputation or no.

In my opinion, Auror!Draco only works when he's rather dark. However, if you can make it work, good for you.

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Calling all Draco experts

I have a question concerning Draco.

I have been challanged to write a Dramoine story and I want it beleivable. I have read this whole thread and didn't find my aswers so here they are.

1. Since Draco did not kill Dumbledore did he in a sense save his life and if the answer is yes, would he still be indebited to him since he is dead? (I am basing this on the Harry spared Peter and now he owes him theory)

2. If Voldey killed Narcissa, for no reason other than Lucius had displeased him, do you think that would be enough of a reason for Draco to turn traitor and agree to be a spy for the Order? (Basing this on the idea that Draco cared deeply for his mother and would want to avenge her death)
    ~Kristy

MissPurplePen
    1. Since Draco did not kill Dumbledore did he in a sense save his life and if the answer is yes, would he still be indebited to him since he is dead? (I am basing this on the Harry spared Peter and now he owes him theory)
    No. I seriously, seriously doubt it. By not killing Dumbledore, Draco didn't save his life...he merely changed his mind. It would be like Harry waking up and saying, "I'm going to kill Snape today," and then when he's actually about to do it, he says, "This is stupid...why the hell would I kill Snape?" Harry wouldn't be saving Snape's life, he would just merely be deciding not to do what he had planned to at first. Now, if Draco had saved Dumbledore from being killed by Snape, he would owe Dumbledore a life debt, but that's not the case here.

2. If Voldey killed Narcissa, for no reason other than Lucius had displeased him, do you think that would be enough of a reason for Draco to turn traitor and agree to be a spy for the Order? (Basing this on the idea that Draco cared deeply for his mother and would want to avenge her death)
    I do agree that Draco would have some change of priorities as a result of his mother's murder by Voldemort. However, I don't know if that would be enough for Draco to do a complete 180. I think he may attempt to leave the Death Eaters, but I think you would have to add something extra, a VERY strong argument, for him to actually turn to the Order.