Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Draco Malfoy

Pheonix song
    I'de like to point out that Voldy is not a pureblood he is a half blood, his father was a muggle, and that Draco DID NOT KILL DUMBLEDORE! Snape did.

Now to mugglemathdork.

I like anAnachronism's idea about thinking he had something on Harry. Might be neat if Ron cought on, got mad and Harry still has no idea whats going on.

Draco has a lot of pride as well, what if circumstances demanded that he asked someone he considered bellow him for help? Like the cleaning scene you mentioned, he obviously has no idea how to do it, what if he had to struggle with the choice of asking the muggleborn Hermione for help or continuing the manual labor until his hands were covered in throbbing blisters.
    Or he could be in a hurry to get somewhere on time and is desperate to leave but can't until its finished.

Whichever applies to your plot.

Harry knows how to do all that too but I think Daco would commit himself to the life of a house elf before he asked Potter for help. Hermiones not so intemidating, though thats not to say that she wouldn't have fun with it, like demand he say please or do something for her in return.

Hope this helped!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Hi!
    I think "snarky sarcastic" is dead on for Draco - yes, you know him, don't you? And just having him do things the Muggle way will probably be inherently humorous. The trick will be keeping him from wallowing in too much self-pity when he has to wash his own dishes or something. I could see some kicky fun dialogue giving the scene its humor - other characters tease him (I can see Hermione's wit really coming in handy here!) and Malfoy replies with his snarky saracastic-ness.

I think a nice messy fight might be fun too. Say he gets tired of the teasing, and goes after whomever is responsible (Um, not sure about Hermione now, unless you want to set up some tension for later ). But since he doesn't have a wand, it'll have to be the Muggle way. It doesn't have to be a knock-down-drag-out fight where someone actually gets hurt. Something clumsy, where strange things happen. Maybe involving food.

Be sure to avoid whiny!movie!Draco. He's pureblood and proud, after all! I also think a little bit of poignant reflection on Draco's part, given that its post HBP and he's escaped Voldemort, might engage the reader in his character even more, and balance out any pratfalls or such.

Hope that helps a little! I've never read a humor fic with Draco, I think the possibilities are great! Good luck!
    ~Gina

Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Draco - Dark Mark?

Hi,
    I know we are not supposed to doublepost, but I have a new question about Draco. What are the odds that I would be the last one to post here, over two months ago?
    Anyway.
    Do you think Draco actually received the Dark Mark during the summer after his fifth year? I think JKR laid a lot of clues for it during book six. Harry certainly thinks so. I'm just curious what others think. Would Voldemort give the Dark Mark to someone like Draco - young and inexperienced? On the other hand, would Voldemort give Draco the assignment to kill Dumbledore without giving the boy the Dark Mark as well?
    This is for a story I'm working on so I'd like to know what others think. Is Draco getting the Dark Mark pre-HBP unbelievable or OOC in anyway?
    Thanks!
    ~Gina

Sly Severus
    Gina, this is a very interesting question. Right up until I read your post, I just assumed that Draco had taken the Mark. It just seemed like it must have happened. But we should be very careful with things that seem obvious. Jo likes to trick us a bit there.

Anyway, now that you mention it, I think it's possible that Draco doesn't have the Mark. Voldie might have given him the assignment with the promise of the Mark as a reward. Kind of a way to prove himself. Although, not a very good deal for Draco. Do what I say and I'll make you my slave forever. Disobey me and I'll kill you and your parents. Good options.

But on the other hand, giving him the assignment without giving him the Mark could be risky. How would Voldie be able to contact him within Hogwarts, if Draco didn't have the Mark? We know Snape wasn't acting as a go-between because Draco hardly talked to him all year. But I suppose something more simplistic could have been used, something similar to the mirror that Sirius gave Harry. But to me, that doesn't seem very Voldie like. He couldn't do the Crucio curse through a mirror.

Anyway, these are my very scattered thoughts on the issue. For your story, I think you could do it either way you like. I don't think you would have a problem convincing your audience of either option.

Good Luck.

Just Beyond the Veil
    We have to remember that Voldie was expecting Draco to die in the attempt to kill Dumbledore. I think he would have given his Death Eaters the Dark Mark when they joined, and Harry does have a lot of clues to suggest that Draco has one, as Gina said. I think it would be plausible for Voldemort to give it to someone so young because he thought Draco was going to be killed anyway.

Voldie was planning on getting rid of him early to get back at Lucius, so Draco wasn't exactly going to be a true Death Eater. He was just going to die. That could be a reason for not giving him the Mark. I like Sly Severus's idea about getting the Mark as a reward, too.

I don't think getting the mark pre-HBP would be unbelievable at all. That's probably when he joined, isn't it? Hope this helped!

~JBV

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    Gina *hugs* You already know how I feel about this BUT I had to throw in my two knuts on this matter. *hugs Draco*

I think (sadly) that he did get the Mark because of all the clues laid out by JKR. It only seems probable - but she's a trickster, nonetheless.

However, I wanted to point out that having the Mark didn't mean Draco would be able to communicate with Voldemort or vice versa. If I recall correctly the Mark is used by Voldemort to call his servants to him and then they apparate to him - since the Mark (according to my POV) works as a summoning device. It isn't stated anywhere that they 'talk' or 'communicate' with each other through it.

Unless, of course, Voldemort invades their minds through the Mark which would explain the need for Draco to be a Death Eater prior to Sixth Year. Even then - I'm thinking that Voldemort just told gave Draco the mission to kill Dumbledore to prove himself, and left him to his own devices. I hardly think that Draco would have been communicating every single thing he did to Voldemort - he did fail several times and made several attempts. The point is Draco was ingenious enough to fix the Vanishing (?) Cabinets in the Room of Requirement -- JKR is showing his 'cunning' side. Very Slytherin.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that Draco doesn't have the Mark *wishful thinking* and it was more of a 'test' on Voldemort's part for Draco. Like Sly commented. I don't think Voldemort just gives out the Mark to anyone. I think that he makes his followers 'prove' themselves. Why? They have to be able to stomach killing others, be loyal, and feel no remorse in their actions. *thinks back to Gauntlet 2*

Anyway, both ways work - it just depends on what it is you're going for, me thinks. Is Draco seeking redemption? Or just being his evil self?

Luck.
    Ritta

What are the odds that I would be the last one to post here, over two months ago?
    *lol*
    I would say "slim to none" *gasp* There goes statistics.

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

cmwinters
    I do NOT think that Draco had been given the Mark yet. I think he was told he needed to kill Albus Dumbledore (or perhaps something slightly more vague such as "get him out of the way") in order to both redeem his family and to "earn" the Mark. And I feel very strongly about this.

I have a couple of reasons for believing this.
    1. I think Draco would have shown off his Mark to Blaise, Pansy and Crabbe & Goyle in the train compartment if he'd had it.
    2. Draco was unable to Apparate - as in, he was not capable of doing it (licensing and legality is another matter). During Apparation lessons, nobody succeeded for several lessons, and if he were able to do it, I think at some point, probably after Susan Bones' accident, Draco would have shown he was capable of it. By the time Susan's accident occurred, he would have been able to do so without drawing undue attention to himself.
    3. A condition of having the Mark, according to Snape in Goblet of Fire, is that when it burns, you are to Apparate "at once" to the Dark Lord's side. The Dark Lord isn't particularly renowned for his reasonability in such matters, and I doubt he'd give Draco "special dispensation" to ignore any Summonings. A reasonably senior Death Eater such as Severus Snape, perhaps, particularly when Snape is only at Hogwarts on the Dark Lord's orders to begin with - Draco, however, was there for school. Barty Crouch, Jr. was given special dispensation to be absent from the post ressurection special summoning because he was actively performing a task for the Dark Lord, but Draco? Not on your life.

Now, of course I am not the expert, but I think this is all canonically supported.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    I have a question or two regarding Malfoy.
    We all know that he was raised to 'hate' the Weasley's for being 'blood traitors.' It is obvious in the books by all the jokes he makes at Ron's expense. Even though I think that Draco could probably be civil to Harry, he and Ron would never be able to not try to hex each other into oblivion.

Now - I'm wondering if his antagonistic attitude would extend to Mrs. Weasley. Would he be just as vicious? Or try to be more civilized with the woman? What about Ginny? Or even the older Weasleys? Of all the Weasley's who would he get along the most with?

This is for my humor story - and I dont' want to botch up his attitude towards Mrs. Weasley.

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Celestial Melody
    Actually, Ritta,

I don't think that Draco would be any more civil with the Weasley women than he would be to the men. Draco has been taught to hate the Weasleys, as you mentioned, all his life and that extends to the Weasley women, too.

For instance, in CoS, when they were in the bookshop and Ginny defended Harry, Malfoy sneered at her and then said "Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend." He didn't respect her then and made fun of her attempts to protect a friend. He didn't care if she was embarassed; in fact, I think he probably relished her discomfort, the bum. *giggles*

Also, though Hermione isn't a Weasley, think of the way he treats her. When the basilisk was running rampant, Draco found it a "pity that it wasn't Granger." As we can see by this example, Draco doesn't have any more respect for women than he does for men.

I think that Draco would treat Mrs. Weasley with disdain and contempt. She is, after all, a somewhat flustered and patched woman. That's not wrong, of course, but in his book, it would be. Draco was raised in the lap of luxury; coming face-to-face with the warm and motherly Mrs. Weasley, chef extraordinaire and Mother Hen supreme, would not change his mind. He'd hate her warmth and her easy manner. She would probably feel sorry for him, which would make him disdain her all the more.

Of course, you could also take that and go the other way: Draco could be starved for affection and fly into Molly Weasley's compassionate arms. However, that's for a Draco-remedied fic and yours is a humour, yes? =)

EDIT: *points to above* I was being flippant; sorry. I didn't actually mean that he would thrown himself into her arms, but that, like Gina said, he would perhaps accept her affection, however grudgingly...

As for the Weasley he would get along best with ... I honestly think he'd manage to overlook his contempt of the Weasley family for Percy. Percy is making something of himself, according to the Ministry-friendly wizarding world. Even if Lucius Malfoy holds the Ministry in contempt, he also holds them in the palm of his hand. Draco would be taught to revere power and Percy is hungry for power. I'm sure they could find something to talk about ... and Percy doesn't speak to the family.

'Twas a rather long-winded reply, but I hope I helped. =)

~Julia~

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Hi there!
    Suddenly the Draco thread is hopping! Thanks for your help on my question, everyone. And on to the next one . . .

Ritta, I agree with all that Julia said, but having read your story I think you have some wiggle room with Draco's character. He has gone through a lot by the time he gets to your story. I don't think that will change his reactions a whole lot, as seen by his interaction with Harry and Hermione already, but somehow I do think it will change his interaction with Molly Weasley. I just can't see him being outright rude to her face, given what he has gone through and the current situation he is in. I think he will throw her dark looks and mutter and even talk back a bit, but I can't see him throwing insults at her the way he does to Harry and Hermione. Molly may be poor and patched and a "blood traitor" to boot, but she is still a strong woman whom I see demanding respect from even the young Malfoys of the world. He may not actually respect her, deep down, but I don't think he'll *disresepect* her, blatantly. If he did, I see a good fun scene for Molly to retaliate.

Of course, you could also take that and go the other way: Draco could be starved for affection and fly into Molly Weasley's compassionate arms.
    I think that might be taking it to extremes and end up OOC, but I do think there is room for Draco's previous contempt to be lessened. I believe Draco has been through a terrible loss that while it won't send him into Molly's arms, may certainly temper his usual distance and coolness. Plus he needs Molly's help, and after all he's been through he may be ready to ask for it - again, begrudgingly, reluctantly, bitterly.

I suspect you may get a few different opinions here. It is, of course, ultimately up to you based on the direction your story goes, but I hope I helped a bit! Good luck!
    ~Gina