Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Draco Malfoy

celipsis
    Quote Originally Posted by moonys-muggle
    I have always thought a fox would be a good patronus for Draco. They are smart, sly and can be dangerous.
    Oooh great idea! I see that more as being Draco's animagus form, though. I'm not trying to raise the animagus vs. patronus debate again but in my opinion, a patronus is more a reflection of what a person views as his protector. Draco finds protection in a group and in having others to back him up. He rarely willingly goes up against an opponent if there's any chance of him being outmatched. Because of this, I think the hyena would be a pretty good patronus for Draco. Hyenas have an unfortunate reputation for being cowards, and they find protection in packs. With these similarities between the two in terms of what makes them feel protected, it would be almost as if the hyena-patronus was filling in for Draco's "pack" when he was in danger. Hopefully that makes sense

Or if you do view the patronus as being a general reflection of oneself, then hyenas are also similar to Draco in that they are fierce (with a reputation for having a strong bite). They're also highly intelligent.

~celipsis

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?

Draco Malfoy Part II

I just realized that unless Draco's thread has disappeared, (has it...?) we do not have a second thread for Draco and his old thread has been locked for a long time!
    Bine: Odd... I merged both threads as the old wasn't quite filled up yet. Keep discussing.

It seems like the last discussion was about what Draco's animagus and Patronus forms would be, but I am much more curious about the following:

1) How does being a husband and a father change him? Or does it really?

2) How did he and Astoria get together?

3) What kind of work is he doing by the time the epilogue rolls around?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

lilyevansfan
    How does being a husband and a father change him? Or does it really?

I think it changed him, to having more responsibilities, to care about someone, and that sort of stuff. But it probably didn't change him too much, he'll never be that selfless person like Harry.

How did he and Astoria get together?
    I don't think it's ever mentioned anywhere. I think you can just make it up.

What kind of work is he doing by the time the epilogue rolls around?

Again, I think you should make it up.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    It's not mentioned how he met Astoria, but in an interview in 2008 JKR said Astoria was two years younger than him and in Slytherin - which was very annoying because I hadn't read that before and had made her 9 years younger.

In my fic they eloped when he was about to marry Daphne.

I don't think he'd have a Patronus. There's soemthing JKR says about Death Eaters not being able to cast them. Snape was the only DE that could, Perhaps it's because the Dark Mark stops them thinking something sufficiently good and happy. Lily was Snapes anti-Dark mark, maybe that's why he was successful.
    Animagus - I'm so tempted to say ferret here - ha ha. But ferrets are very like weasels so it would also be wonderfully ironic if he did become a ferret. (I am aware of the cliche, but still think it fits)

What kind of work is he doing by the time the epilogue rolls around?

If he has to work (and Lucius didn't appear to) then it could be anything. I have him as a Curse breaker in one fic, and an unspecified Ministry worker in another. He may have found it hard to get work at first,so perhaps he set up his own business. he was good at Potions - Apothecary, perhaps.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    I don't think he'd have a Patronus. There's soemthing JKR says about Death Eaters not being able to cast them.
    How about in later years? Is it possible that he could be able to conjure one after certain number of years after the war? Or does the dark mark literally crosses that out? (Really curious about this since I'm writing something that involves him and his possible patronus).

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Oh I don't really know, it was just a theory.

I have found this from a chat JK gave online to The Leaky Cauldron

Samantha: Was snape the only death eater who could produce a full patronus

J.K. Rowling: Yes, because a Patronus is used against things that the Death Eaters generally generate, or fight alongside. They would not need Patronuses.
    I pondered why a DE couldn't produce a Patronus, yet Umbridge could and found this ...

How did umbridge manage to conjure a patronus while wearing the locket when harry wasnt able to

J.K. Rowling: Because she is a very nasty piece of work. She has an affinity for this horrible object, which would help rather than hinder her.
    I guess Draco could master a Patronus later in life, I just had a theory that the Dark Mark caused the DE's to become darker and thus unable to cast a Patronus at any time. But without Voldemort (plus Draco regretted being a DE) perhaps he could.

I'm not convinced Sirius could cast a Patronus after Azkaban for a while as he'd have no good memories left to draw on.

Banner by minnabird

DayDreamingInAugust
    I was thinking about Draco today and stumbled across a thought which came to mind when I was in class.

What if Draco and Daphne had an arranged marriage? That his parents wanting to show the last pride in their family? Wanting him marry someone respectful? Although, we don’t know much about Daphne and her family.

Also, would Draco give Scorpius more freedom than he did? Letting him have a clear mind, not filling it with all the pureblood prejudice and ect?

I was just thinking and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

~August.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Do you mean Astoria? Because Draco didn't marry Daphne. Either way, I don't like the idea of arranged marriages in high-class purebloods. Once, perhaps in the time of Phineas Nigellus Black they would have happened, but I can't see Bellatrix or Narcissa, or even Walburga, having an arranged marriage. For one, Bella and Narcissa appear to rate their blood-status fairly high, and I don't imagine they'd need any encouragement whatsoever to marry well. Plus, I can't really imagine Bella being forced to do anything. The concept of arranged marriages seems to me to be a rather old fashioned one, even in the wizarding world, and quite often, it's used as a plot device to give the character something to rebel over.

But on to your specific question. From what I've said above, you can probably guess that I'm going to say no, I don't think Draco and whoever would have had an arranged marriage. But it's more than just my general dislike. I imagine that after the fall of Voldemort, the Malfoy family wouldn't be seen in the best light, or have the glorious reputation they did before. The Greengrasses aren't mentioned as Death Eaters, so it's unlikely they'd want to ally themselves with a family like that out of choice. Plus, the parents might not want to send their daughter to a family of known murderers and torturers; Slytherin doesn't mean no feelings. Even if the Greengrasses were Death Eaters, pureblood supremacists, or Voldemort sympathisers, I imagine they'd be doing everything they could to escape prison and protect their reputation. An alliance with the Malfoys would not be a good move.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I agree with Sarah. I can see parents heavily encouraging their children to meet with a certain other pureblood, but I don't think they would be outraged if the child decided to marry a pureblood of equal status. I can see marriages being semi arranged in that you'd always meet the same pureblood families and their children at parties/gatherings. So it's probably fairly clear that Narcissa and Bellatrix were each going to marry a man out of ten or so possible suitors. But I can't imagine them being forced to, or never having met their partner before or something like that.

I don't think the Malfoy parents would arrange a marriage for Draco, because despite everything, they seem to love their son like any other parent would. I can imagine Lucius arranging perhaps dates and meetings - possibly they invited the Greengrass family over a bit more often, and perhaps miraculously the two ended up alone together - but I think Draco would at least have had a say in whether he wanted to marry her or not.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I wrote a story where Draco did have a kind of arranged wedding with Daphne. That is to say, he was willing to go ahead with it, and so was she partly because of parental pressure, but also because he thought he might as well marry someone.

The Malfoys wanted it because Daphne had money. The Greengrasses wanted it because the Malfoy name still held some sway (it was seven years after the Battle).

Thing is, Draco actually preferred the bridesmaid ...

I agree that arranged pureblood marriages can come across as cliched. I think when we see Lucius and Narcissa, there is a genuine sense of love and support between them, so it wasn't a loveless marriage by any means.

Also, would Draco give Scorpius more freedom than he did? Letting him have a clear mind, not filling it with all the pureblood prejudice and ect?
    JKR said that he was a better father to Scorpius than Lucius had been to him, and Slytherin is supposed to be a house now diluted. Draco became a Death eater to save his mother and father. Yes he felt proud of that but I get the feeling he didn't think he had a choice. With no Dark Lord, he'd give Scorpius more freedom.
    I don't think he'd keep up the Muggle-born prejudice. He might still think it, but after the war it would have been far harder to promote those views. He acknowledges Harry and Ron at the station. He's never going to get on with them, but he's not blanking them.
    Mind you, if Scorpius were sorted into Gryffindor and started going on about how wonderful Muggle-borns were, I think Draco would get annoyed. He'd want his son to be a Slyth - and so would Astoria, I imagine.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird