Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Draco Malfoy

b_reeger

Animagus

I am writing a story in which Draco must become an Animagus. What creature do you feel would be appropriate for him and why? ( I am looking for something besides the obvious snake, bat, etc. )

mecredi
    Quote Originally Posted by b_reeger
    I am writing a story in which Draco must become an Animagus. What creature do you feel would be appropriate for him and why? ( I am looking for something besides the obvious snake, bat, etc. )
    Yeah, snake or bat would be too cliche.
    I think Draco's personality would lead him to an animal that is smart, selfish, and ambitious. I think a cat could work; they're intelligent, lazy, introverted, and I guess you could say ambitious as they get everything they want and then turn around and bite you later. Cats are, however, quite girly, and McGonnagall is one. I definitely don't think that McGonnagall and Draco are that alike.

Birds are too stupid; dogs too open and honest.

I could see him as a horse. Which sounds unflattering, but horses all have fiesty streaks, they are lazy sometimes, but also run around and buck. They can be selfish. (A horse at my barn used to pee in his food so the other horse in his paddock wouldn't eat it.) They're not afraid to bite/insult other horses if they get in their way. They still have comraderie with those like them, which I think is very much a Slytherin trait. They still bend to the alpha, like Draco and his father. They scorn authority that they disagree with. (Try getting a horse to m ake a left turn when it really wants to go right. Like Draco and Dumbledore.)
    I think if you amped the "stallion-ness" of it, it might seem a bit too FanGirl!Draco.

Good luck!

5 points to Slytherin

EyeEetStrudel
    Well, I sat staring in space about this for ten minutes and couldn't comne up with anything. Though, when I asked my mom, she said a weasel, because they're like ferrets, only wild... I know absolutely nothing about ferrets/weasels, so I don't know how that is like Draco at all, except that he was once turned into a ferret against his will.

Does a wizard's Animagus always have to be of a "Muggle" animal? Couldn't it, theorectically, be a magical creature, too? I don't know which creature Draco would be, but it's something to chew on, eh?

b_reeger
    You know, I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to take a look into some of the magical creatures and see if anything strikes a nerve. I did like the idea of the stallion, it's really good, and I liked the explanation behind it. If anyone else has an idea, feel free to let me know !!!

Gryffinpuff
    When I thought about an animal that Draco might become as an animagus, my first thought was a ferret, and then I laughed for about five minutes. Then I actually got to thinking about it, and I decided I would make him a raven.

Raven's are exceedingly smart. A recent study found that they know how to make tools if given directive (no like hammer and screwdriver type tools, it was actually unfolding a paperclip and using it as a hook to lift a food packet from a long narrow test tube). For centuries, we believed humans, and maybe primates to be the only animals capable of making tools. Given how intelligent Draco is shown to be, I think this makes sense.

Ravens are extremely proud and territorial creatures as well. I saw a video once of three ravens attacking an owl because it was in their territory. The ravens won, and then started cawing with laughter when the owl flew away. We know Draco is proud, not to mention he's almost always surrounded by his flunkies.

Finally, ravens are a dark animal capable of flying. Darkness is fitting for Draco, both in his personality at times and his potential future after HBP. Draco doesn't seem to have much happinesses left in his life, and much like Harry, I think flying and playing quidditch was one of them. Somehow, I can see him really enjoying the ability to fly whenever he wanted.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

5 points to Hufflepuff

Scarlet Fever
    I don't know if this is the right place for this... but where is the Malfoy Manor located? Some part of Enlgand, but I don't remeber the name and now can't find it in the books.

Sly Severus
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever
    I don't know if this is the right place for this... but where is the Malfoy Manor located? Some part of Enlgand, but I don't remeber the name and now can't find it in the books.
    I think this should have been posted at the Reference Desk.

But since you asked:

From HP-Lexicon
    The Malfoy Manor is located in Wiltshire, in south-west England (OP15).
    HP-Lexicon is great place to find HP info. Here's the link so you can check it out. Linky.

Ithinkrabis2people
    OK, I need help with my Draco characterization.

In my fic, Draco is fourty-one, in the Order and married to Cho (don't question it at this stage, please!). They also have a ten year old daughter (who can be found in the OC section). My plot is posted in Skele-Gro.

All I want to know is what kind of father you think Draco would be. He's on the good side. He married Cho in 2009 and they'd been dating since 2004 (the year of Harry's death.)

In my head, he's basically a good dad, but can be a bit distant and has quite high expectations of her.

Oh, I have another question. Do you think he'd be the same with Cho? Distant, I mean.

The family is in hiding with the rest of the Order. His mum's dead, his dad's dead ...

Well, suffice to say that I'm confused about how to write him. Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Starmaiden
    I don't think Cho would marry a distant man. From what we saw of her (brief) relationship with Harry, she's fairly needy. I don't think she handle a guy she couldn't connect with. This is, of course, assuming they are happily married.

High expectations, yes. He's an achiever, even if he doesn't display it like Hermione. He's touchy (CoS) when his dad twits him about having lower grades than Hermione, and fires back a nasty retort -- he doesn't like being second best. Stands to reason he'd want his daughter to be tops in a lot of things.

I think, though, that a Draco who's on the Light side and married to Cho will be a lot more mature. He's got to be loving (again, think about Cho) and having kids matures people anyway (though I'm not the one to really ask about having children, ha).

AshNight
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithinkrabis2people
    In my fic, Draco is fourty-one, in the Order and married to Cho (don't question it at this stage, please!). They also have a ten year old daughter (who can be found in the OC section). My plot is posted in Skele-Gro.
    Honestly, I think that by the time all war stuff is over the Order would be no more. It would just dissapate into the wind...But anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Ithinkrabis2people
    All I want to know is what kind of father you think Draco would be. He's on the good side. He married Cho in 2009 and they'd been dating since 2004 (the year of Harry's death.)
    Ol' Draco has converted, eh? How long? I have some severe suspisions about Draco and if he'd ever switch over. There are too many people who hate him. Besides, he always prided himself with being amoung the 'powerful' followers of Voldie. He killed for Voldie. No doubt in the coming books he'll kill again. Things like that you can't just forget. A few people would have a major beef with Draco for suddenly acting all good.

In my head, he's basically a good dad, but can be a bit distant and has quite high expectations of her.
    A 'good dad' is a very loose term. Any man can be a 'good dad'. All it takes is a bit of nice talk, show up when you are supposed to, a few hugs and you're suddenly a 'good dad'. Distant...I think that you can do quite a bit more with Draco if you explore this side of his relationship with his daughter. Why is he distant? Does he realize that he is? Does he regret it? Remember, not every dad is a 'good dad'. Parenting is one of the hardest things. The 'high expectations' is also very Draco-like. Like Starmaiden said, he wants to be the best so it makes perfect sense that he'd want his daughter to be the same.

Oh, I have another question. Do you think he'd be the same with Cho? Distant, I mean.
    With Cho I think that he'd be a bit different. After all, they've known eachother a long time, no? Despite my love of Cho, she is really needy. She wants to know that she is the most beautiful person on the planet and if Draco was distant than most likely she would not tolerate it. He doesn't have to pour out his soul to her on a regular basis but openness and trust is key in a relationship.

The family is in hiding with the rest of the Order. His mum's dead, his dad's dead ...
    Unless you plan on having him have a mental breakdown because of this and this is what caused the distance between him and his daughter, I don't see how this is relevent.

Well, suffice to say that I'm confused about how to write him. Any advice would be greatly appriciated!
    Well, hopefully that helped! And whenever I have trouble with Draco's characterization, all I do is go back and re-read the chapter where Harry walks in on Draco crying in Myrtle's bathroom. The way Jo described it makes my character problems dissapear...