Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: James Potter

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    JKR made it clear that although Remus was 'fond' of Lily, he never competed with James for her. So I would hazard a guess and say it was no more than a crush, more like he just had a soft spot for her, especially when compared to James' feelings for her.
    In PofA, Remus made it seem as if, though she may not have known about it at the time, Lily made him feel like a real person, in spite of his lycanthropy. Being a teenager is already hard enough, but going through all that, knowing you have no future ahead of you, of course he would hate himself and what he was to some degree. Lily must have been some sort of guiding force for him, keeping him afloat a bit, even though he had his friends. It would only be natural for Remus to develop some sort of emotional connection to Lily, despite whether he wanted to or not, but if he was able to keep that from his friends, then that leads me to further believe that MWPP were not as tight as they thought they were (which is flippin' obvious when one considers Peter).

I would also think that even if Remus did have really strong feelings for her (which I don't like the idea of - Lily seems to be becoming more Mary-Sue-like every day) and James was aware of this he wouldn't be worried as he would know Remus wouldn't betray him like this
    I would go so far as to say that James is self-absorbed and oblivious enough to have no idea that Remus was sweet on Lily (if that was the case). He seemed more concerned for creating havoc and mischief and palling around with Sirius that he probably couldn't see the proverbial forest for the trees. It was this overall lack of perception, ironically enough, which led both Sirius and James to make the fatal mistake of trusting Peter. If they had any sense at all, they could have seen the signs that he was not quite what he seemed.

bro's before ho's, and all.
    I may or may not have just spit some of my drink on my monitor here.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    In PofA, Remus made it seem as if, though she may not have known about it at the time, Lily made him feel like a real person, in spite of his lycanthropy.
    I think it's made to seem like that in the film but not the book. Remus says something on the bridge about Harry's mum seeing the beauty in everything, but that's not exactly canon ... although ... David Thewlis said he asked JK about Lupin who repeatedd the line that Remus was 'fond' of Lily but wouldn't have done anything about it because of James.

I think the film has actually made it seem as if it were a lot more (not that I'm complaining, it makes more of a story.)

If, however, he somehow found out about Snape's feelings for Lily, I highly doubt he'd be concerned about it. I mean, how could Lily go for 'Snivellus' over him, a popular and charming Quidditch ace?
    He'd find it unbelievable but that doesn't mean he wouldn't get jealous. Another thing JK said in an interview was *scurries off to find quote*

Rachel Nell: Jkr, thank you for such amazing books! I would like to know how come no one seemed to know that Lily and Snape were friends in school they were obviously meeting for chats, etc didnt James know their past?

J.K. Rowling: Thank you for your thank you! Yes, it was known that they were friendly and then stopped being friends. Nothing more than that would be widely known. James always suspected Snape harboured deeper feelings for Lily, which was a factor in James' behaviour to Snape.
    - World Book Day Chat 2007

Carole

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    I would go so far as to say that James is self-absorbed and oblivious enough to have no idea that Remus was sweet on Lily (if that was the case). He seemed more concerned for creating havoc and mischief and palling around with Sirius that he probably couldn't see the proverbial forest for the trees. It was this overall lack of perception, ironically enough, which led both Sirius and James to make the fatal mistake of trusting Peter. If they had any sense at all, they could have seen the signs that he was not quite what he seemed.
    You see how it is Remus who makes reference to the fact that James would think it the height of dishonour to mistrust friends. While his observation doesnt make it a right out fact, it'd still give some floor to speculate. James I think is one of those we can put under the category of noble prat. Harry's 'you shouldnt have said that' to Carrow says something about how James would behave under such.

Carole is obviously right, and the extra emphasis on the 'fondness' was part of the movie and not the books, which is why I was apprehensive about whether to write about this or not, becuase it can easily become redundant.

Yes, though James was self-absorbed, but as Carole quoted, James did suspect Snape's feelings for Lily. Sirius and Remus tell that James didn't of course hex Snape when he was on dates with Lily, which suggests that there must be some more background there. James apparantly has the girl but he cant get over Snape. But yes, maybe just maybe, he'd be blind to the feelings of his own mate. Like ohviolet said, it was most likely a crush.

Quote Originally Posted by ohviolet
    It would probably need to be something subtle, that only he would notice. Maybe she would somehow subconciously favour him over the others? Go that extra bit further that she would usually only do for James but to everyone else seems irrelevant?
    *hugs* Exactly what I was looking for. I had this in mind, just needed a little confirmation.

Jo says Lily was a popular girl, and we see Snape and James lusting after her. I just thought it'd be interesting to capture the scenario of Snape and Remus and their links with Lily Potter from the POV of James after marriage. I was going for the idea that just in this specific theme, James is the kind of guy to start treating Lily like property, and though he maybe past hexes, he would unjustly (it seems like a funny term in the context) but in a manipulative and subtle way be degrading and cruel to Remus and/or Snape. Lily's perceptive, and not the sort who'd take this, and that would be the source of their clash.

I am obesessed with the idea that James and Lily at some point in their marriage would be really unhappy with each other. I swear this has something to do with me listening to Keri Hilson's Energy.

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Um, I'm confused about something. In DH, chapter 16(Godric's Hollow), James' tombstone says that he was born in 1960. But the Lexicon says he's born in 1959, and that he started Hogwarts in 1970. So does that mean the Lexicon got it wrong and James and the Marauders started Hogwarts in 1971 instead?

In that case, did the Marauders start their sixth year in 1976?

Thanks!
    --Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    I'd go by the book, since it seems the HP Lexicon is sometimes not quite willing to nail things down as accurately as they could. James was born in 1960, which means he would have turned 11 in March 1971 and started school in September 1971. Sixth year would have started September 1976.
    Check out the Harry Potter Wiki, sometimes they are a lot better when it comes to HP info, canon, and dates!
    ~Gina

Midnight Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    Check out the Harry Potter Wiki, sometimes they are a lot better when it comes to HP info, canon, and dates!
    Ooh, I don't quite agree with that. In my experience, that site mixes canon with movie info. But then again, I suppose you're right; the lexicon is hardly something to go by.

Anyway, here's my question:

When do you think James proposed to Lily?
    I doubt it was more than a year after they finished school (1978), if they had a child in 1980.

Please speculate!

Thanks in advance!
    ~Midnight Storm

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Storm
    Ooh, I don't quite agree with that. In my experience, that site mixes canon with movie info. But then again, I suppose you're right; the lexicon is hardly something to go by.
    I'll give you that - they bring in the books and the video games. They do tend to say if it's from the movie or games, though. I just find there is SO much more character detail on the Wiki than the Lexicon. Plus, it seems to be more active and updated, and I do love the pictures. When I'm looking up something, I tend to check both and compare.

When do you think James proposed to Lily?
    I doubt it was more than a year after they finished school (1978), if they had a child in 1980.

Please speculate!

Thanks in advance!
    ~Midnight Storm
    See, a lot of online sources have them getting married immediately after school. But if they left school in June, 1978 and Harry was conceived toward the end of October, 1979, then they could have gotten married any time in between, as per what you think their brief post-Hogwarts life was like. Did they do it right away, did they fight for the Order a bit first? I think it's up to you as long as you set a reasonable, believable course of events.

~Gina

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    They could have got married because Lily was pregnant - or is that too shocking?

Personally, I think they married in 1979 - springish, and it was all fairly sudden because one of them had nearly died or something (I like a swooning romance full of life and death decisions). I don't think they had a long engagement.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Midnight Storm
    Trying to work out James' occupation has been a nightmare. JK says in an interview that he had inherited a lot of money and didn't need a well-paying job (or something along those lines.)

However, I seem to be physically incapable of writing an unemployed James. Even if he did work full time in the Order.

D'you reckon it's possible he had another (non-Order) job? What could it have been?

But honestly, if I read one more fic where he's an Auror, somebody's going to die. Just saying.

Thanks!
    ~Midnight Storm

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Well, personally I don't think it's possible that he had another job because he worked full-time for the Order, and, well, because JKR said so. Remember that the Order isn't all about the missions and going out and fighting; Tonks talks about leaving a report for Dumbledore, so there's paperwork involved as well. There's also be discussions and planning and perhaps gathering evidence and other such things. There'd be enough to do so that James doesn't need another job.

But if he did have one, I can't see it being something very public. I can't see him working in a restaurant or in a pub or something because he'd be putting himself out there, and also, I imagine that quite a lot of these missions would take place at night, and if he worked there he wouldn't be available. I also don't see him working for the Ministry, or somewhere that requires a fair bit of training. Perhaps he writes articles for the Daily Prophet or another magazine on Quidditch or something, or maybe one of his roles in the Order would be to keep the wizarding media informed with the right sort of information. He could liase with the newspapers and even perhaps the Wizarding Wireless Network, or other radio stations.

Personally, I don't see James with another job, but if you want him to have a small, part time job with only a few hours a week, you're going to have to consider a lot of things about his personality, his situation and his role within the Order itself.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!