Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: James Potter

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

How do they kiss accidently? Do they accidently bump into each other and their lips touch? I think if James is trying to act mature, he would go allong with it. But if he was acting like his normal immature self, then I think he would bring it up.

I think it depends on how you write James in your story.

Originally Posted by hestiajones
    It really depends on how you have portrayed James. Is he the fun-loving, pompous, loyal and generous James of canon and fanon? Or, have you given him a different personality- like, he would still be fun-loving, pompous, loyal and generous, but he is also a little dark and serious?
    In my story, James is a dark character. He isn't as fun loving as he used to be. I made him my own character.

Originally Posted by hestiajones
    If it's the second, maybe he and Lily would be estranged for a while. He would still regret it, but he might not be ready to take the blame entirely.
    I think that's right.

Do you think that they would live together after the inital shock wore off? I think that they would because the think it would be right.
    ily Andi, Lise, Ronnie, and Becca.

Banner by Bine/Luinrina. Lise/Annalise made my fun-to-look-at avvie. I've been ghosted!

lily meet ginny
    Quote Originally Posted by MarauderWannabe
    In my fic, I plan on having Lily and James kiss on accident. Lily pretends that it didn't happen in the chapter after it. Would it be OOC to have James go along with it? To continue to act normally around Lily, as though it had never happened?

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I don't think James could act normal around her after that. He could pretend to act normal, but I have a feeling there would be quite a bit of inner turmoil going on there. The same would likely go for Lily, though if your story is solely centered around James' point of view, that might be a bit more difficult to capture. Would he be able to convince Lily he's acting normal? Possibly in the beginning, though it likely wouldn't last long. Lily seems pretty smart, like she might be able to see through the act.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Okay, I'm writing a Lily/Snape fic and I'm in the process of writing a big confrontation between Snape and James. Snape is walking to the common room and passes James cleaning the dungeon floors for a detention. James starts an argument and they start throwing the nastiest insults they can around. Anyway the problem I'm having is what Snape could say. So here's the question:

What insult would hit James the hardest, hit him where it really hurts? So bad that he starts dueling, even though he has no friends there to back him up.

Please help. Thank you!
    ~Lexi~
    ~♥~Author's Page ~♥~ Drabbles ~♥~ I Beta ~♥~ Poet Page ~♥~ I Duel ~♥~
    Fantastic banner by minnabird, thank you!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think something that would rile James is Snape saying that he can only fight when it's four against one, that he's unable to duel without a back up.

Also he reacts in SWM badly to being humiliated by Lily - so Snape reminding him that Lily would rather snog the Giant Squid would probably irritate him immensly.

If this is after the Womping Willow incident, then maybe Snape could threaten to let slip that he knows Remus is a werewolf, and that his information could get Sirius expelled.

I see James as someone who would throw caution to the winds if his friends/ family were insulted. He's not smart enough to keep his emotions in check.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    Okay, those are great ideas; thank you Carole!

~Lexi~
    ~♥~Author's Page ~♥~ Drabbles ~♥~ I Beta ~♥~ Poet Page ~♥~ I Duel ~♥~
    Fantastic banner by minnabird, thank you!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    I am looking for some sort of help on the dynamics between James and Remus, bearing in the fact that they are 21 and have known each other closely for around ten years.

I'm planning to go by the idea that James is financially supporting Remus, that is by providing for him a home but it is not handled directly by James but through an associate of his. Remus suspects this, but none of them really talk about it. I want to show one of Remus' predictable bouts of self-dignity where a series of events lead him to saying to James that hesnt been living there for a few weeks and that he has a new place, and the others try to question him about why he left his better flat. 'What is going on, Remus?'

I want help in speculating what James' reaction would be to it? What does he think of Remus in general? Remus and James unlike Remus and Sirius seem to me a times like standing on an equal footing, you know like there could be nothing wrong between them, everything is always very passive. But thats not really how it is, I think. Remus doesnt have it like James, much like the James-Severus problem. But the whole turnout would be different because of who Remus is.

So, any thoughts on my questions?

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    As for how James would react to hearing that his gesture of goodwill toward his friend is being rejected, I think he would be slightly offended, but more than anything, I think he would be hurt that Remus didn't want his help, when it's more than obvious that he was willing and able to give it. He would most likely, in my opinion, rant and rave a little bit, as pontification and self-righteousness seem to be a couple of his less than stellar qualities, but in the end...I think he would beg Remus to just take the flat back because it would make him feel better. Remus had been his friend for a better part of his life, so in the end, I think James, who is loyal to his mates, would just say pride be damned and appeal to Remus's more sensible nature.

Of course, this is my very ignorable (Ha! Firefox says it is a word, lol) opinion.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Thank you, Jess, that was invaluable.

One more question, I was thinking about how Jo said that "Lupin was very fond of Lily, we'll put it like that, but I wouldn't want anyone to run around thinking that he competed with James for her.

So where I ask does James fit in all of this fondness? Jo uses the words 'very' and 'competed'. Thats like shreiking controversial throughout the length of the sentence. But at the same time, knowing Remus, I just know the guy never competed. Also, the fondness could be on various levels, right?

Back to the purpose of the post. It has sometimes been debated that James might pick up on Snape more because he apparantly had the girl James wanted (at school). But at the same time, reading SWM, it is not entirely clear to me that James understands Lily and Snape are supposed to be best friends.

So, first off what do you think about this? How much did fifteen year old James know and understand?

My second query is about post-JP/LP marriage and relating vaguely to the question I asked in my previous post. How much consideration does James give at that point to the fact that 'Lupin was very fond of Lily'? I have often read POVs in fanfiction on this idea from everyone except James and now I'm writing his, and I need to be right.

-Is he ignorant of this emotion Remus has and doesnt think about it at all, or
    -does he accept it and is mature enough to either lightheartedly use it to manipulate it to his advantage or make fun of it as occasion requires, or
    -is not so obviously jealous when Remus with his considerate nature might hit a similar cord with Lily, and James realises he doesnt.

How do men really behave in a situation like this? Equally important to the situation is Lily I think, and the way she behaves. Her letter says that she was mellow with all of James' friends, but because of the timing of that letter, I somehow doubt its credibility. We see James and Snape competing for her attention at school, and she seems to have set some pretty strict groundrules. If Remus was an exception and Lily had a sympathetic spot for him, how would James recognise it?

I'll stop my babbbble. Response appreciated.

-Akay-

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    So, first off what do you think about this? How much did fifteen year old James know and understand?
    JK has said that it was known Lily and Snape were friends and then weren't ... nothing more was known (that's me paraphrasing her). So, I think we can deduce that people knew they were friends, but it must have been reasonably clear that they weren't boyfriend and girlfriend. However, as James was lusting after Lily, he probably (and correctly - we know) assumed that Snape was as well. I would think that's why he picked more on Snape (and let's not forget, Snape never missed an opportunity to hex James either)
    However, take into account, that Ron and Harry had no idea what the girls in their House were up to, and were equally obtuse about the boys they shared a dorm with. Neither knew, for instance, that Seamus was taking Lavender to the ball.

Is he ignorant of this emotion Remus has and doesnt think about it at all, or
    -does he accept it and is mature enough to either lightheartedly use it to manipulate it to his advantage or make fun of it as occasion requires, or
    -is not so obviously jealous when Remus with his considerate nature might hit a similar cord with Lily, and James realises he doesnt.

I think it's a mixture of all these. Remus is a pretty closed person, and wouldn't reveal how he feels about Lily. I doubt it was 'love' exactly - more a recognition that she was attractive, sympathetic and if things had been different - he wasn't a werewolf and James wasn't there - then they could be boy/girlfriend. Remus is also very loyal and has a great debt to his friends so I honestly don't think he'd do anything with Lily. So, initially, James wouldn't be aware.
    I think if he found out, he'd probably watch close for a while, maybe broach the subject with Remus (over a beer), but then I can see him possibly manipulating the situation (unconsciously).
    There's a reason he agreed to Peter being the Secret-Keeper; possibly James had a lurking suspicion regarding Remus and didn't trust him.

How do men really behave in a situation like this?
    Real men? Well they react differently depending on whether they're jealous of everyone who ever looks at their wife appreciatively, or whether they're laid back because they know their wife is attractive but that she's loyal. It would also depend on who was doing the admiring. If it's their best mate, they'd be cooler about it than the person they've loathed forever.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

ohviolet
    JKR made it clear that although Remus was 'fond' of Lily, he never competed with James for her. So I would hazard a guess and say it was no more than a crush, more like he just had a soft spot for her, especially when compared to James' feelings for her.
    I would also think that even if Remus did have really strong feelings for her (which I don't like the idea of - Lily seems to be becoming more Mary-Sue-like every day) and James was aware of this he wouldn't be worried as he would know Remus wouldn't betray him like this - bro's before ho's, and all.

Regarding Snape - I think it would be safe to assume that James had no idea about the depth of Snape's feelings for Lily, perhaps didn't know they were best friends. I vaguely remember the scene in DH in Snape's memory where they meet in school and it's just the two of them around? Something like that? I'm too lazy to get my book. But I'm sure if that was a regular occurence, meeting mainly when there was no one around (which it may be considering Lily's parentage and Snape's new friends), then the extent of their friendship may not be known and therefore James wouldn't know too much about it and how close they really were.
    If, however, he somehow found out about Snape's feelings for Lily, I highly doubt he'd be concerned about it. I mean, how could Lily go for 'Snivellus' over him, a popular and charming Quidditch ace?

If Remus was an exception and Lily had a sympathetic spot for him, how would James recognise it?
    It would probably need to be something subtle, that only he would notice. Maybe she would somehow subconciously favour him over the others? Go that extra bit further that she would usually only do for James but to everyone else seems irrelevant?

I think I've rambled enough!