Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: James Potter

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I can't see James with a job at all. If it hadn't been for the war, then I could see him wanting to play Quidditch, or do something fun. It's not as if he needs the money, so it would be something to keep him occupied.

Remember that the Order was smaller during the first war (Remus says as much at the beginning of OOTP when Molly's crying over the Boggart). James wouldn't have had time to work unless it was necessary for the Order. For instance, I have Peter working at the Ministry and the order because he needs the money and the job could be useful, but James doesn't have that need.

if you don't like him being unemployed then why not try him having a hobby that consumes his spare time. Quidditch stats? Broomstick design?

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Midnight Storm

Sexy!James

More James issues!

So, a lot of fanfiction have him as drop dead gorgeous, unbelievably Sexy!James. As much as I would like this to be true (he is, after all, so my boyfriend), doesn't he look uncannily like Harry? And isn't Harry a short, scrawny-looking guy, with no references of 'hot-ness' whatsoever?

So, what I'm asking is, was James actually unbelievably handsome? Can't I leave that to Sirius? Is it OK to write an average-looking James?

Thoughts?

~Annie

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    While it's certainly true that Harry is supposed to resemble James a lot, it should be noted that Harry wasn't exactly treated well by the Dursleys. I would imagine that some of Harry's relative scrawny-ness may be due to their treatment of him.

James, on the other hand, was rather spoiled by his parents. So if he were taller and had a somewhat more muscular build... well, that would make sense.

Also, there would be attitude differences. James has always struck me as loving attention much more than Harry (whether you find that attractive is another issue).
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Harry was supposed to have 'shot up' in height between his fifth and sixth year (Hermione says so). Also he would have filled out - like James did - when he hit his late teens.

I don't see James as exceedingly good looking because we read the books from Harry's POV. So as he knows he looks like James, he's not going to describe his dad as 'that really good looking guy'. Sirius is supposed to be 'very good-looking'. James is probably reasonably attractive ... normal looking, if you like.
    I think he was probably popular with girls and more so than Harry because he had far more confidence than Harry, and that makes a big initial difference.

Having said that, one girl's Brad Pitt is another girl's Mr Potato Head. Equally, you could look at someone and think 'yes, they're good-looking' but they have all the sex-appeal of a flobberworm.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Gryffindor
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I can't see James being unemployeed either. He doesn't seem like the type to sit around and wait for an Order mission. I can see him being an Auror (or another Ministry job) or maybe doing something with Quidditch (making/ designing brooms).

I hope this helps or gives you some inspiration.

PS. This got pushed down from where it was supposed to be. So sorry for the random post!

Scarlet Steam Engine
    eyeofthetiger, I agree.

I can't see James being unemployed, but I also can't see him having a boring office job. As an adult, I picture James with a Ludo Bagman type personality. You know, not caring about anything, laid back, etc. I picture him with a really fun, exotic job, or though i'm not sure what that might be.

If you've read J.K Rowlings prequel, you'll know that James was still immature (yet funny) when he was older, so I can't see him sitting at a desk writing papers, can you?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hmm. But the fact of the matter is that he was unemployed. In a world without Voldemort, though, I don't see him remaining so, and I also couldn't see him with a desk job, but there is a Voldemort, and he did fight full time for the Order. I don't really see how he would have the time or the energy to dedicate to another job. He's also, after November of 1979, got a pregnant wife and then a child to care for, on top of the Order stuff.

As an adult, I picture James with a Ludo Bagman type personality. You know, not caring about anything, laid back, etc.
    James is hardly that. He obviously cares very strongly about many things, otherwise why is he risking his life and freedom to fight Voldemort? He may appear laid back and casual aged fifteen, but that is clearly not who he was when he left school at eighteen. And can you see Dumbledore chosing a Head Boy who is laid back and doesn't care about anything?

If you've read J.K Rowlings prequel, you'll know that James was still immature (yet funny) when he was older, so I can't see him sitting at a desk writing papers, can you?
    True, the prequel does show him laughing and teasing those policemen, but as soon as the bad guys turn up again, he's deadly serious and ready to fight. He knows when it's time to be funny, and when not to be. Even without the threat of Voldemort, I think James would realise that there were times when you had to be serious, and finding a job would be one of those time. So if sitting at a desk writing papers paid the bills that needed paying, or set him on the road to his dream job, he'd do it. But I can't see him actively chosing a job that was pencil pushing just for the hell of it.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Sorry, mods, for double posting, but I have a question. How do people think a stag represents who James is? I can see obvious reasons with Sirius and the dog, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank when it comes to James' form. What are stags supposed to represent? How do they represent James?

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Um, well I always think of Bambi's dad when I think of a stag.

Proud, a leader, king of the forest type thing, but also stags are known for 'the rut' where they'll fight other males fiercely (although not to the death) for territory and females. The leader will take care of the herd, providing the others in the herd aren't a threat.

If you think of James, he's a leader, he's proud, he shows signs of being proprietorial over Lily, but he's also very protective of his friends. He supports Remus and Sirius financially.

~Carole~

Banner by minnabird

tisihani
    Stags also have a link to Christianity as in the Saint Eustance legend. Eustance was a Roman soldier who was hunting, then came upon a white stag with a crosss between its antlers. The soldier then dropped to his knees and converted. We had a rather lengthy discussion about the medieval-esque symbolism in Harry Potter in my Humanities class. This topic, of course, came up. But anyways, since this legend stags have represented Christ and so it fits into the rest of the Christian symbols in HP.