Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: James Potter

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Dumbledore being Dumbledore may have appointed James the position of Head Boy to try and teach James an important lesson in responsibility. Dumbledore must have used this lesson, as well as the position, to better prepare him for the things to come.
    But this begs the question - why did he pick James? Why not try to teach Sirius an important lesson in responsibility? Sirius sounds much like James - if not even more flippant - and might have really benefited from being placed in a position of leadership as well. So why James? Or why not Peter? Why not give him a lesson in leading instead of following? Why not prepare Remus for things to come, since he made it to the end?

It may have been in Dumbledore's character to forgive and trust, but it has also been shown that the person in question has to have earned that from Dumbledore. I still think James would have shown Dumbledore a reason to trust him with such a responsibility *before* it was given to him. Being smart, popular, and good at Quidditch is not enough, in my book.

I sense a one-shot coming on. *twitches*
    ~Gina

megan_lupin
    Yes, I see James and Sirius as being quite similar, but James always struck as being more responsible and less reckless than Sirius was. The choosing of Head Boy would have come in 7th year, naturally, which is also AFTER the entire Whomping Willow incident. I think that the behaviour of the characters at this time was an important part of Dumbledore making his decision.

Keep in mind the times we see these characters. We see them at the end of their fifth year courtesy of "Snape's Worst Memory", which is *before* that incident, and then we don't see them until their adult years. We know that James saved Snape -- an enemy that he had never liked and who hated him just as much -- while Sirius was the one who acted reckless enough to even put Snape in danger in the first place. What James did showed that he wasn't as petty in terms of the rivalries as he appeared to be in the "Snape's Worst Memory" scene; he at least knew the right from wrong aspect and was able to see the whole 'big picture' and saved Snape.

Also, in terms of the other characters, namely Sirius, Remus, and Peter. Well, for Sirius, he was more reckless than James; he acted much more like a 'loose cannon' than the others, and the responsibility of being Head Boy wouldn't really have been for him, I don't think. Yes, he more than likely had the same level of influence/popularity with the students that James held, but he didn't have the same ... restraint, I suppose is a word that'll work ... that James did. Such, I think, is shown once again with the Whomping Willow incident, among other things. Sirius acts a lot more on his emotions than his thoughts -- not quite thinking about everything in terms of consequences and such before he acts. Such an aspect of character wouldn't be good to have in a Head Boy, in my opinion.

Now, for Remus. I think Dumbledore saw Remus as too passive. While he was good, kind, responsible, etc., and would have done well on that end of the job, he didn't really have that forceful personality that I think the position of Head Boy would require. At the very least, we saw that he wasn't a great Prefect when it came to his friends. Remus likes to be liked -- an result that undoubtedly comes from his lycanthropy and the fear of rejection that accompanies it -- and such, I think, was his downfall in terms of being a good Prefect. This, also, goes into the idea of why he wouldn't be the Head Boy. (Also, one could argue that perhaps Dumbledore didn't make Remus Head Boy because of his condition. He might of thought, like he says to Harry at the end of OotP, that Remus 'had quite enough to be concerned with' [or something like that]).

Finally, there's Peter. Peter would have had even less of a forceful personality than Remus did. While I don't think he was completely hopeless and dimwitted -- fan fics that portray him as such are a pet peeve of mine -- there was not much in his character that suggested he could handle such an important position. I could understand Dumbledore wanting to teach Peter how to lead rather than simply follow, but it doesn't make sense to do it this way -- giving a position to someone who very clearly couldn't handle everything that came with it.

And now, for a bit left of James. The way I've seen the Head Boy position as being is that it's based more on grades and not so much on behaviour. Granted, behaviour, attitude, skill, etc. would be taken into account -- in terms of deciding if someone could handle the job -- but I've always seen it like someone is graduating first or second in their class. They could be one of the most detention-filling students in the school, but the teachers can't argue that his grades aren't extraordinary and deny him the position.

Also, a forceful and looked-up-to or respected position like Head Boy needs someone who also has respect among the students. James, being as popular and well-liked by the *majority* of the school (I know he didn't have universal popularity) would have had such qualities. He would have the forceful personality to get things done, and many students would respect him and such.

I think I've rambled enough, and I'm not even sure how much sense this whole thing makes.

~Megan

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    But this begs the question - why did he pick James? Why not try to teach Sirius an important lesson in responsibility? Sirius sounds much like James - if not even more flippant - and might have really benefited from being placed in a position of leadership as well. So why James? Or why not Peter? Why not give him a lesson in leading instead of following? Why not prepare Remus for things to come, since he made it to the end?
    Well, this may be a stretch...

What if Dumbledore were privy to information (like certain aspects of the future) which is why he took an interest in James instead of the rest? He knew that Voldemort would come back the night he had died. So he could have know other things ahead of time as well.

And maybe, Dumbledore thought that through James' example, the rest in his group (aside from Peter) would fall into line like a domino effect. It's kind of like how younger siblings learn things from each other in large families.

The boys were a tight knit group of kids, so what effects one (positive or negative) would start to effect the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    It may have been in Dumbledore's character to forgive and trust, but it has also been shown that the person in question has to have earned that from Dumbledore. I still think James would have shown Dumbledore a reason to trust him with such a responsibility *before* it was given to him. Being smart, popular, and good at Quidditch is not enough, in my book.
    ....Hmm

I'm just looking at Chapter 33 in DH....trying to see what did Severus do that caused Dumbledore to trust him. And all I can see is Dumbledore using Snape's love for Lily and his grief over her death to recruit him to his side.

The only thing that Snape did was told Dumbledore of Volemort's plan and asked him to protect her. But this angered Dumbledore.

Quote Originally Posted by pg 677 in DH Scholastic US edition
    "You disgust me," said Dumbledore, and Harry had never heard so much contempt in his voice. Snape seemed to shrink a little. "You do not care, then, about the deaths of her husband and child? They can die, as long as you have what you want?
    So you would think that Snape would have earned Dumbledore's trust by asking for Lily's protection....when really it just earns him his contempt. It's only later, after Snape is in the postion that he's in that Dumbldore starts to assign him with more responsibility.

So, I say this to show that maybe trust is not something that is necessarily earned by Dumbledore..not at first. Maybe there are certain situations that Dumbledore sees that could benefit him for the greater good of the future.
    M.R.S.

Pafoo
    Part of my soul is screaming "James was Head Boy because Harry's dad *had* to be something awesome. Being an Auror, brilliant boy, prankster, and star Quidditch player definitely wasn't enough!" but I plan on restraining the more cynical side of me.

Limyaael, I blame you.

In any case, I suppose that some people adapt to responsibility differently. In James' case, he probably grew up a little. Sirius probably would have done a horrible job, simply because he wouldn't be able to manage it.

I'm just looking at Chapter 33 in DH....trying to see what did Severus do that caused Dumbledore to trust him. And all I can see is Dumbledore using Snape's love for Lily and his grief over her death to recruit him to his side.
    Hmm... the only change I would make is this: And all I can see is Dumbledore using Snape's love for Lily and his grief over her death to control Snape.

All I can really say about James is... well, if it's a fifth year fic, show him like canon did. He wasn't a nice piece of strawberry-filled chocolate. To quote Dr. Cox, to many he was a bastard. Bastard-coated bastard with bastard filling.

At least, to some.

Emery

mankytoes
    I have my own James question- would he use Avada Kedavra on a Death Eater who was attacking him and Lily? I'm struggling to work out how acceptable it was in the first war for the "good guys" (awful phrase I know) to use so called "unforgivable" curses.

cmwinters
    God, that's really tough.

On the one hand, I'd say we haven't seen James show much restraint or have many qualms about his "enemy", but on the other hand, Sirius said that James really hated the Dark Arts . . . so I'd say take that, combined with Harry's general unwillingness to do the same, and say no, he probably wouldn't.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    I agree with CM, I don't think he would either. At least, I wouldn't write him using an AK curse; I think, though, it could be done, but it would be tricky.
    The thing that jumps out at me, IIRC, is that somewhere it is stated that Mad-Eye Moody never used the AK and always brought in his Death Eaters alive. It was a real testament to his character that even though the Ministry has authorized the use of Unforgivables, he still didn't use them. I think that this could have been a common element across the Order, and that many others, including James, would have taken their cue from Moody.
    I think Lily might try to stop him too.
    If he did use that curse, the repercussions would be *huge*, and that's a big undertaking.
    Good luck,
    ~Gina

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

I agree with Megan. She sketched the Marauders very accurately, in my opinion. Even though James was definitely NOT your model student as far as pranks went, still I think that some of the nastiness can be attributed to Snape's biased point of view. And I don't blame Snape for that, I really don't.

As for James using Avada Kedavra... very unlikely, I'd say impossible. He strikes me as a man with principles, and if he hated Dark Arts, he wouldn't be caught dead performing them.
    -Alice

Ryan The Wizard
    Like many before have said, here at MNFF, we follow the books. Therefore, James was indeed a Chaser, no matter how much we would like to believe he was a Seeker.

As to the head Boy duties, I think Albus may have figured that James, along with Lily, would create a team whose union has produced great things, one of them being, undoubtedly, Harry. He also figured that Lily would make James behave.

mankytoes
    Could he perhaps kill someone with a stunner, if he was angry enough, like Molly Weasley killed Bellatrix in DH, but I presume she didn't use Avada Kedarva.