Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: James Potter

Angela_Prongs

James Potter

James Potter! A character we all love. And yet, a very confusing one as far as history.

The position James played in Quidditch. What is it? I want to get it canon right for the James/Lily that I'm writing. In the SS/PS movie, it was Seeker. Yet I'm hearing everywhere that he played Chaser. I've scoured the books, but so far I haven't found anything on that. Can anybody help me with this?

And, if this is allowed, while we're here we can also talk about why and how James was made Head Boy, but not prefect. I'm trying to figure out how to put that into my fic, and if anybody has any theories or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Marauder by Midnight
    James Potter played the Chaser position in the books, but in the movie, they made him a Seeker. Here at MNFF, we comply with the books, not the movies.

As to how James Potter got to be Head Boy, I know that there is a quote or two in the book about it (don't have my books available at the moment so I can't show you where). Seems like James really just cleaned up his act, and Dumbledore probably saw the potential in him. Or maybe Dumbledore knew that James would behave when given the responsibilities of Head Boy.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    As for James becoming Head Boy. . . I have often wondered if it had as much to do with the other potential candidates as it did with James himself. Sure, James may have matured and demonstrated the potential, but of all the seventh-years, why was he was the best? What about the other prefects? What about Remus, the Gryffindor prefect? Why didn't Dumbledore chose him? Was it because of his condition? How did he feel about that? How did everyone else feel?
    I think a story that addresses this not just in terms of James's character but in terms of other characters as well would add a bit of depth to the conundrum. Be unique, too, because a lot of stories give similar reasons for James's sudden turnaround. Maybe it wasn't so sudden. Maybe it started before seventh year. Maybe Dumbledore had a solid, secret reason for trusting James with the position, much like he trusted Snape later on.
    Good luck and have fun, I think J/L are great to write!
    ~Gina

ThessalyRose
    The Lexicon says that in an interview, JKR said that James was a Chaser, not a Seeker, so that's why you're confused, because it isn't in the books.

Also, I've heard conjecture that the Quidditch captains might have also been eligible for head boy or girl, along with the prefects. We know that James wasn't a prefect in at least one year, because Remus was, but maybe James was a prefect later.

Hope this helps!

Thess

joselle
    James was a Chaser when he was still at Hogwarts. I've read it in Mugglenet and they say it came from Jo herself. I guess they used the Seeker position in the movie to emphasize Hermione's line in the movie, "You won't make a fool of yourself, it's in your blood," or something like that.

I agree with Gina, James probably changed his personality sometime in his seventh year. And probably, Dumbledore saw something in him. It is known that when James was in Hogwarts, he was one of the best students in there. He has talent and brilliance, much like Sirius, but they used it mostly on Snape. He just needed discipling, and Dumbledore might have thought that being Head Boy would change James, and it did.

Or maybe Dumbledore knew that Lily and James are so meant for each other and they would soon give birth to Harry and he had to make a way for them to get close (only yanking your wand, that wouldn't happen ).

-DH spoilers deleted-

I hope that helped!

--> jOseLLe

Beth: 5 points off for unmarked DH spoilers. No spoilers are allowed in unauthorized threads

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Well, I still think that there needs to be a stronger reason than Dumbledore thinking the Head Boy responsibility would change James. That just seems like an awful lot to expect, and quite unfair if there were other students who were more deserving of the position. I still think that James straightened out a bit *before* seventh year, and thus earned the position.

I have my own question about James now.

Does he seem like a guy who might be a bit nervous about having a baby at first? I think he'd warm up to it quickly and be incredibly excited and proud, but I also think that it might take a few weeks to get used to the idea of bringing a child into the world in the middle of a war. Does that make sense?

Thanks!
    ~Gina

ThessalyRose
    I believe that for most men, the concept of having a baby doesn't really hit home until the baby is actually there. My mom says Dad acted like it was "her project" until the moment I was born, and then he said he would have killed anyone who threatened me. (Which is saying something, if you knew what a four-eyed geek my dad was.) Similarly, my brother says it didn't really hit him that they were having a baby until they were in the delivery room and my sister-in-law was pushing for the last time.

So ... I think what I'm saying is that for guys, fatherhood is kind of a mental thing, rather than an emotional thing, until the blessed event actually occurs, at which point their hearts engage with a vengeance. So it wouldn't be surprising for someone, even a loving and supportive husband and father like James Potter, to waste a lot of time worrying and fretting and overthinking the situation before the baby comes.

On the other hand, I don't think James would have any doubts about his worthiness to be a father -- he was too cocky for that. But normal worries, like you said, about it being wartime, or about money or Lily's health, I wouldn't be surprised to see those at all.

That's my humble opinion.
    Thess

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela_Prongs
    James Potter! A character we all love.
    Speak for yourself.

The position James played in Quidditch. What is it? I want to get it canon right for the James/Lily that I'm writing. In the SS/PS movie, it was Seeker. Yet I'm hearing everywhere that he played Chaser. I've scoured the books, but so far I haven't found anything on that. Can anybody help me with this?
    In general, not everything is in the books. There are a great number of interviews that Jo has done where other information is imparted, but bear in mind that especially in the past two weeks, she has had an horrific tendency to contradict herself from day to day. The Lexicon (http://www.hp-lexicon.org) is always a good source for information, though, and most of the information about James was imparted some time ago.

And, if this is allowed, while we're here we can also talk about why and how James was made Head Boy, but not prefect. I'm trying to figure out how to put that into my fic, and if anybody has any theories or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
    James Potter, apart from being an arrogant pureblood berk, was incredibly intelligent. It is quite a feat for him to have pulled off becoming an Animagus at the age of fifteen and the Marauder's Map was also quite an accomplishment. While I acknowledge that there were four of them, Harry, Ron & Hermione (despite Hermione being considered the brightest witch of the age) together never came up with those ideas.

Then again, it's quite possible that there simply wasn't anyone else *more* qualified. Kind of like how Ron Weasley was made prefect. We don't really know who else was in James year other than a vague idea who the Slytherins were and it's clear throughout the series that the rest of the school and adults are quite prejudiced against the Slytherins.

bling_baby
    I agree with Gina, James probably changed his personality sometime in his seventh year. And probably, Dumbledore saw something in him. It is known that when James was in Hogwarts, he was one of the best students in there. He has talent and brilliance, much like Sirius, but they used it mostly on Snape. He just needed discipling, and Dumbledore might have thought that being Head Boy would change James, and it did.
    Well, I still think that there needs to be a stronger reason than Dumbledore thinking the Head Boy responsibility would change James. That just seems like an awful lot to expect, and quite unfair if there were other students who were more deserving of the position. I still think that James straightened out a bit *before* seventh year, and thus earned the position.
    With this arguement, I think that what also has to be taken into consideration is Dumbledore's character. He was a forgiving person, take Snape, and I think he knew who he could trust and how had the ability to betray him. And James was a perfect candidate for Head Boy as he was smart, an excellent quidditch player, and popular. While I understand that popularity isn't that much of a good for for responsibility, he had alot of influence on the students and surely that must have been taken into consideration. After all, Dumbledore is very intelligent.

I think what I'm saying is that for guys, fatherhood is kind of a mental thing, rather than an emotional thing, until the blessed event actually occurs, at which point their hearts engage with a vengeance. So it wouldn't be surprising for someone, even a loving and supportive husband and father like James Potter, to waste a lot of time worrying and fretting and overthinking the situation before the baby comes.
    This is true ontop of the fact that I think James has always been a very protective person towards people he likes. Take the fifth book for example: when Snape called Lily a 'Mudblood' in Chapter 28, James got angry and tried to threaten Snape so that he would apologise to Lily. In the end Lily told James not to bother, but it just shows that James is a person you want to be on the good side on, and definately not the bad.

Okay, that was my view on the discussion. Happy to hear any rebultles.

Beth: 5 points for excellent discussion - awarded

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by bling_baby
    With this argument, I think that what also has to be taken into consideration is Dumbledore's character..
    I agree. If you look at how he treated Harry, Dumbledore was not the type to teach him how, but he gave Harry the tools and certain clues so that he could learn and fill in the blanks himself.

So this rule may apply to his father.

Dumbledore being Dumbledore may have appointed James the position of Head Boy to try and teach James an important lesson in responsibility. Dumbledore must have used this lesson, as well as the position, to better prepare him for the things to come.
    M.R.S.