Thread: Addresses, Apparition, and Flats

Hybrid View

Second Year Gryffindor
    Beset by Owls

Addresses, Apparition, and Flats

If a young, twenty year old witch wanted to get an apartment, where would she look? Hogsmeade, correct? And how would addresses be written in the HP world?

If someone wanted to Apparate to an appartment, but they don't know where it is, could they simply say, "so and so's apartment" and get there? Or do they need the specific address?

-Hadeer

Sour.Apple.
    Hmmmm.... You have a lot of creative liscense here.

But, in my opinion, I don't think that many people live in Hogsmeade. Also, I would think you have to know the exact adress of the place you're Apparating. Saying 'so and so's flat' just doesn't seem specific enough; it seems like the sort of thing that would make you end up in a completely different place.

meryal
    Have they ever been to the general area where the apartment is or not? If they have all you could have them apparate to the general area, or just a few streets away. If it's in Hogsmede then just have the person apparate to the main road and reach the house from there. However you really can do whatever you want.

megan_lupin
    If a young, twenty year old witch wanted to get an apartment, where would she look? Hogsmeade, correct? And how would addresses be written in the HP world?
    For some reason, I get the feeling that there aren't a great deal of people living in Hogsmeade who aren't directly tied to the shops there. At least, the times we've seen Hogsmeade in the books, that seems to be the case.

Also, it just seems, to me, that most witches and wizards end up leaving in normal Muggle locations. The Blacks lived in an area of Muggle London -- Grimmauld Place wasn't surrounded by wizards, for instance, and Godric's Hollow wasn't strictly a Wizarding location. (If I recall correctly, there was an interview or something that stated it was a Muggle village, but I'm not 100% sure.) We do get a few hints in the books, though.

So yeah, while Hogsmeade is known as the only all-magical dwelling in Britain, I don't see the majority of adult witches/wizards living there. I'd imagine them getting a flat just like normal, except maybe adding some magical aspects to it? Unless, of course, there are other places that, while not ALL magical like Hogsmeade, may be MOSTLY magical?

If someone wanted to Apparate to an appartment, but they don't know where it is, could they simply say, "so and so's apartment" and get there? Or do they need the specific address?
    Personally, I think they could just say "so and so's apartment". I'm not exactly sure why I think this, but it's just the way I've always seen Apparition happening, I guess. We know the using Floo Powder doesn't necessarily require stating the FULL address, if I remember the books correctly. But I think if Harry, for instance, wanted to visit Ron's apartment, then he could just think "Ron's flat" and show up there.

Of course, like Dumbledore mentions in HBP, it isn't very considerate or polite to Apparate directly into someone's home

~Megan

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRayne
    With Apparation, Floo and Portkeys, this is probably determined more by price and amenities rather than location. And I doubt it would be in Hogsmeade unless there were a compelling reason for it to be.

If someone wanted to Apparate to an apartment, but they don't know where it is, could they simply say, "so and so's apartment" and get there? Or do they need the specific address?

-Hadeer
    Probably not; however, Snape said in Goblet of Fire that all the Death Eaters were required to Apparate to the Dark Lord whenever they felt the Mark burn. But it's not really all that likely that the Dark Lord assembled them in the same place *every* time, so I imagine that you could use $person's_location as your "destination".

However, it seems reasonable that they could *FLOO* to someone's apartment (assuming it's on the Floo network) without knowing where it is.

CopLopARopA
    I always thought that addresses would work th same as muggle addresses. I mean, you have no.12 Grimmauld Place. If they aren't on a specific street, I imagine that they would just have a name, like the Burrow. When using Floo powder, saying "the Burrow" is enough, so I imagine it would be the same with apparation, if you just want to give a place a name.

harrypotterfangirl21
    VERY MINOR DH SPOILER AHEAD

As we saw in Deathly Hallows, all Harry thought when Apparating to Bill and Fleur's was "Bill and Fleur's... Shell Cottage..." He did not know where they lived. And yet, by just thinking the name of the place, he got there successfully.

As for general Apparating, I have a question: Is it possible to Apparate over an ocean? (i.e. from Britain to the U.S., or similar.)

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by harrypotterfangirl21
    As we saw in Deathly Hallows, all Harry thought when Apparating to Bill and Fleur's was "Bill and Fleur's... Shell Cottage..." He did not know where they lived. And yet, by just thinking the name of the place, he got there successfully.
    You are absolutely correct, but my problem with that is, Shell Cottage was under the Fidelius Charm, and Ron was not the Secret Keeper, so Ron couldn't tell them, even if he'd wanted to.

Bear in mind that 12 Grimmauld Place is the Black Family Mansion—the one hta tis handed down from father to son. (Phineas Nigellus is the second oldest child, but his elder brother died in childhood, Phineas left it to his eldest son Sirius who left it to his eldest son Arcturus, who left it to his only son Orion who ultimately left it to his only surviving son, Sirius). Sirius' mother and Bella, Meda & Cissy's mother were *sisters*. It is absolutely UNTHINKABLE that Bellatrix had never been to 12 Grimmauld Place, yet Snape is unable to reveal that as the location of Order Headquarters to her (or to the Dark Lord, for that matter).

So quite frankly, given that the definition of exactly how the Fidelius works seems to have changed about fifteen times, I am thinking of this as a poorly thought out plot hole, myself. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbornly_appeared
    I was under the impression that to Apperate, you have to visualize your destination. So all, say, Hermione would have to do to Apperate to Ginny's flat would be to visualize the flat and then *pop* she'd be there.
    You, too, are absolutely correct, in that Snape tells Fudge that once Summoned, Death Eaters are to "Apparate instantly at his (the Dark Lord's) side" (ch 36, GoF). So this means one of two things. Either the Death Eaters knew where to meet when Summoned (possible, if you have to have the Mark to get past the barrier plus the Dark Lord could put their meeting location under the Fidelius), or "to the Dark Lord's side" is sufficient "Determination, Destination and Deliberation".

This is kind of hard to hammer down, because it's reasonably clear that the Dark Lord held *some* attachment to the Riddle Manor at Little Hangleton, and it's kind of implied that Lucius may have been the "wealthy man who owned it for tax purposes". It's also quite obvious that in the beginning of DH, Yaxley and Snape knew *exactly* where to go to and that "DE HQ" had, for some time, been at Malfoy Manor.

So it really kind of depends on where you want to go with it, because god knows canon hasn't specified for us.

whomovedmyquil
    I have to agree with the consensus that a twenty-year-old witch would would be more likely to choose a muggle-inhabited area to live rather than a place like Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley.

But here's my two cents on the location: a twenty-year old is going to be looking for a place to live based on cheapness. If you're twenty, you're only three years out of school in the Wizarding World, so unless you find a job that immeadiately makes you a lot of money, you won't be exactly ranking in the galleons just yet.

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by your question about addressing letters, but I'll take a stab at it anyway:

It seems that, for the most part, in the Wizarding World, letters aren't addressed. Doesn't Harry just tell Hedwig who the letter is to be delivered to and Hedwig gets it there? I assume she knows where she's going because she's a magical animal, and as said in PoA, magical animals have "special powers" (and tend to live longer).

I was under the impression that to Apperate, you have to visualize your destination. So all, say, Hermione would have to do to Apperate to Ginny's flat would be to visualize the flat and then *pop* she'd be there.

Stubbornly_appeared

Diagon Alley

I think, if I were fresh out of school (Hogwarts, by three years) and looking for a place, I- unless I had a job in Hogsmede- would go to Diagon Alley or Muggle London. I get the impression people rent out flats above shops, and London is pretty central to everything (St. Mungo's, MOM, Diagon Alley). It depends on the job/job intrests, I suppose.