Thread: July Activities 2013

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph

July Activities 2013

I'm sure everyone’s come across a story featuring a pairing that can be, in some way or another, labelled as “controversial”. Whether that’s because of a big age difference, a cousin pairing, unrequited love, even a dubious or abusive nature, pairings are seen differently by readers because of a variety of factors — culture, religion, morals and conscience all play a part in how we view certain pairings.

We’ve seen unusual pairings in canon before, of course. Remus and Tonks had something of an age difference, about twelve years, and there was also the whole thing about Remus being a werewolf, of course. Sirius’s parents were second cousins, and Harry didn’t seem too grossed out by the idea of Tonks being in love with Sirius. Even if we look at the one SSP in canon, Dumbledore/Grindlewald, the influence Grindlewald was having over Dumbledore's outlook on Muggles was pretty disturbing.

So this month’s activity is to seek out a story featuring at least one “controversial” pairing. You get to be the judge of what makes the pairing unconventional; the only requirement is that at least one character must be a canon one.

~Why is the pairing you’ve reviewed unusual? Is this because of your own personal preference or more to do with canon characterisation?
    ~Do you seek out controversial pairings, both when reading and writing? Why is this?
    ~Besides MNFF guidelines (no incest/bestiality/rape glorification, etc), where do you draw the line in terms of pairings?

You must ask and answer at least one TQ, as well as leave a review for a story featuring a controversial pairing, by the end of the day on 15th July for this to count towards your monthly activity. Feel free to return to the discussion more than once

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Standing in Line for Gilderoy Lockhart's Autograph
    I may as well start this off... I never thought the day would come for me to be doing my own activity, hehe.

My review for Jess's Girl Beneath the Stars

Why is the pairing you’ve reviewed unusual? Is this because of your own personal preference or more to do with canon characterisation?

I guess it's a bit of both, really. Canonically, Teddy at least had some kind of romance with Victoire, and Lily did seem enthusiastic about him marrying Victoire in the epilogue, at least, so it's rather sad that she developed her own feelings for him later on. But also, in Jess's story, the pairing could perhaps be labelled as controversial because Lily was Teddy's "only goddaughter", so it's not really conventional for there to be a romantic relationship between them. I suppose that is partly to do with age difference, as well as the whole idea of Lily waiting for him, so to speak, by only telling him how she felt when she felt she was old enough.

Oh, and the fact that Teddy kisses Lily in this, on his own wedding day, was definitely something another reviewer found questionable. To me, though, I saw that more as proof that Teddy and Lily didn't really work together in this story as a couple, and Lily realised that when Teddy kissed her.

Do you seek out controversial pairings, both when reading and writing? Why is this?

Definitely. I liked writing controversial pairings ever since (you guessed it) Loulily. And, come to think of it, that very pairing stemmed from reading Jess's Louis/Lucy story and actually seeing someone else cross a line I didn't really think it would be a good idea to cross in fanfic. Having a controversial or in some way unusual pairing alone is sometimes what makes me read the story, especially if in some way it fits with that person's characterisation. Reading about Sirius or Mrs Zabini having affairs with older and younger people respectively is always something I find interesting, just because their canon characterisation implies it -- Sirius as the ladies' man and Mrs Zabini with an endless list of husbands.

New TQ: Conversely, what is it that makes a pairing not controversial?

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    Why is the pairing you’ve reviewed unusual? Is this because of your own personal preference or more to do with canon characterisation?
    I reviewed Soraya's One Last Night, and it is a cousin pairing. I think this is controversial because a lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea of cousins being intimate in any romantic way. While it is legal in the UK and Canada, it is not legal everywhere, and people who are exceptionally close to their cousins may find it simply bizarre for cousins to be together.
    ~Do you seek out controversial pairings, both when reading and writing? Why is this?
    Oh definitely. Almost all of my OTPs could be considered controversial in some way. Teddy/Lily has an age gap of 10 years and it appears that Teddy is almost like a brother to Lily. Hermione/Remus is a 20 year difference and Remus was her teacher. And I mean, in my Lily/Cormac, Cormac IS a teacher and Lily is a student. I think I like these sort of pairings so much because they are viewed as socially unacceptable and to be quite honest, I think they are just dramatic and fun.
    NEW TQ: Do you have a specific type of controversial that you like best?
    For me, it's student/teacher. I don't know why, but I just love it. Though a lot of the ones I like best occur after they have graduated...
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Tveiter Tot Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Can't Everyone Talk to Snakes?
    ~Why is the pairing you’ve reviewed unusual? Is this because of your own personal preference or more to do with canon characterisation? I reviewed a Quirrell/Trelawney (or I will...) but it was also Student/Teacher for most of it. That, and the fact of the age gap, made it controversial. It was also something I had never seen or considered before, so I guess that made it unusual. Personal preferences, though, also made it unusual. (any pairing before NG is generally unusual for me to read hehe)
    I don't really seek out odd pairings, whether I'm reading or writing. Yet again, I'm completely open when I read, and romance isn't something I really consider at all. That probably has a good amount to do with it, and to me an odd romance is a really nice touch. I do really enjoy Leddy and cousincest, so I sometimes seek those out, so I guess that counts. I'm literally the most horrible person to ask about tastes in reading or music; I read the same way I listen. And I have everything from hard core scream to Beethoven and Broadway on my iPod.
    ~Besides MNFF guidelines (no incest/bestiality/rape glorification, etc), where do you draw the line in terms of pairings? Student/Teacher really isn't my thing. I'm open to anything, but considering I'm a student it's really hard for me to believe that it happens.

Ellie's TQ: How big of a factor does canon have in a pairing being controversial?
    *~iBeta~**~iWrite~* *~iPoet~* *~iDrabble~* *~iDuel~*
    Beautiful avvie by Nadia (magestic_ginny), and credit for the lovely banner goes to Pooja.

I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life.
    (Neil ~ The Dead Poets Society)

Ellie