Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Drabble Challenge - Inner Thoughts - Results!

Hybrid View

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

The Weekly Drabble Challenge - Inner Thoughts - Results!

This drabble will be set in Professor Dumbledore's office. Present will be Professor Dumbledore and one other character of your choosing.

Professor Dumbledore looks at the other character and says, "Is there anything you would like to tell me?"

You must now explore the other character's thoughts as they deliberate whether to tell their secret or keep it hidden. You must not use dialogue in any form, this must be purely the thoughts of the person being questioned.

You must then finish the Drabble with Dumbledore saying the words, "I see."

The secret can be any degree of seriousness, and this can be set during any era. The drabble must be entirely contained within the two sentences that Dumbledore speaks. And those two lines are the only speech throughout.

And the rules...

Drabbles must be between 100 and 499 words.

All MNFF's normal standards apply, including grammar,
    spelling and formatting. Points may be deducted for
    badly presented drabbles.

You can earn 5 points for your house for entering no
    matter how many drabbles you post. The winner will be
    awarded an additional 20 house points, second place 15
    and third 10.

Challenge closes Wednesday 14th June.

Use this form...

Author Name:
    House: [you must enter this or you will not gain points]
    Title:
    Word count:
    Warnings:

If you have any questions, please ask them in the "The
    Question Corner" thread, NOT this one. This is for the
    drabbles only.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

MorganRay

A Thousand Words Couldn't Do It

Name: MorganRay
    House: Hufflepuff
    Words: 395
    Title: A Thousand Words Couldn't Do It
    Warnings: None, but this takes place after Harry sees Tonks in the hallway in HBP

“Is there something you would like to tell me?”

‘Where to begin?You sent the person I care about on a dangerous mission. Tell me what he’s doing. Don’t ask me. You’re a Legilimens. Just read my mind and soak up my sorrow. Don’t let me hold it in because I can’t really say it all. No, I’ve tried. The words just aren’t there for something so deep. I told him, but he hesitated and said that my feelings weren't justified. How you someone say that? My feelings aren't justified? Maybe my word are just wrong.’

‘I can’t speak my thoughts. God knows I’ve tried. The words just aren’t right when I speak. They can’t convey how much I really need him to be okay. I really never had anyone to make me feel safe. My mother and father never did. I told Remus that, but he said he wasn’t safe, either. It’s a lie, but even when I say that, it makes no difference. He's so much better at putting thoughts into words.’

‘I’ve been unable to sleep. You can see that! Don’t ask me rhetorical questions. Just read my mind. I can’t explain it all to you. Did you ever need anyone this badly? Do you sit up at night and wonder where they are? Do you think about what will happen if they hurt someone?’

‘Dear God . . . if Remus bit somebody, I would blame you. Yes, you sent him with that horrible Greyback, so I would blame you. You’ve taken the responsibility for us all. You too responsibility for Remus. Is it too much to bear for you? Is that why you ask me to tell you what I’m feeling? Can you not bear to pry into my mind?’

‘It gets harder everyday. I try to work, you know, but I can’t do my job. They know something is wrong with me, and they ask, but I can’t tell them any more than I can tell you. You should know that. It’s written across my face and etched in my eyes. I try to hide the secret that I, the strong Tonks, need somebody. Needing somebody is such a hard thing to keep hidden, but I still can't speak those needs out loud.’

‘Just read my mind! Everything I say is jumbled.’

‘No words can express the secret need I hide.’

“I see.”

HermyRox12
    Author Name: HermyRox12
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Weddings for Two
    Word count: 297
    Warnings: None
    Edited to follow directions.
    [QUOTE] "Is there anything you would like to tell me?" Dumbledore said as he looked up at Remus. He was in for it now.

Of course I should tell him. But I canít! Remus thought to himself. If he turned in Sirius and James again, they would be expelled! I canít lie to Dumbledore, though. Just because James, Peter, and Sirius went a little overboard with the Wedding invitations for McGonagall and Slughorn, which were very decorative, by the way, doesnít mean they should get expelled. They were letting their creative juices flow. Remus let out a small chuckle to the memory.

It was mean, and I need to tell the truth. Iíve lied before, and it hurts. Everyone know that staff marriages are banned, and I need to prove this is a joke so they can stay and teach. A look of pain stretched upon his face. He hadnít faced this big of a decision since first year when he had to decide to weather or not to tell his friends about his Lycanthropy.

This decision was hard. He took a lollypop from Dumbledoreís desk. Sucking on Muggle candy always helped him make decisions. [I] I wonít tell him. I know that James, Peter, and Sirius would do it for me. Iíll do it for them. Iíd take an Avada Kedavra for them.

Remus looked up at Dumbledore. Remus knew that Dumbledore knew what he was thinking. He looked as though he was pleased with Remus, though. Then it dawned on him. Because of his loyalty, Dumbledore would let the Marauders go again. It was the last day of school, after all. To let Remus know of his understanding, he ended the meeting with the words, ďI see,Ē

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Guys, you need to read the rules of this drabble very carefully. None of these drabbles adhere to the rules so far.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

joanna

And where are the others?

Author Name: joanna
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: And where are the others?
    Word count: 348
    Warnings: none

And where are the others?

"Is there anything you would like to tell me?"

What should I answer to that question? He obviously wants me to admit that I—or rather we—did something wrong. Besides, where are the others? Why is it that it’s always me he cites here? Why? And what does he know exactly? Does he know about our recent tour into the Forbbiden Forest? Or the recent visits to the kitchens?

I don't think he knows about that. I can’t picture him to question the house elves. And I don’t think that any of them would tell on us. They are always so pleased when we go there. Always very polite and they always have something to offer. I think they would make rather good spies, but Dumbledore wouldn’t use them for that. It’s just not like him.

So what is he trying to get at? And where are the others?

And I’m sure that no one saw us in the Forest. Well, except for some animals. Or the centaurs might have spotted us. But it’s very unlikely they told Dumbledore. They are just not that forthcoming.

I think he wants to trick me into admitting something, but that’s not like Dumbledore. What could have happened? It must have been something very important and it’s obviously not out yet, or else he would ask me directly. No, I’m sure he doesn’t want to know about the kitchens or the Forbidden Forest. So, do I tell him about those? Nope, it wouldn’t bring anything. He surely doesn’t want to know about that.

On the other hand, I don’t want to lie to him. But is remaining silent a lie? And where are the others when you need them?

Okay, I won’t say anything. Would a hesitant shake of the head do? I think it would the safest thing to do. He can ask me further questions if he wants.

He smiles as if he knew that I would do that. Why didn’t I tell him about the Forest and the kitchens? Now, he will tell me off for lying.

“I see.”

the nutty imp
    Author Name: the nutty imp
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Which Prank?
    Word count: 328

Fred and George has been in this office plenty of times before so this was a common occurrence. As always the Headmaster sat behind his desk with a simple question, “Is there anything you would like to tell me?”

The brothers looked at one another blankly, Normally, they could come up with a good excuse the problem was - they don’t know which prank landed them here.

Fred nudged his brother and pointed to his head and started to scrunch his hair to indicate a certain prank which involved a shampoo bottle and rubber glove that had followed Professor Snape around and washed the Potion Professor’s hair all day.

George shook his head, for he was sure that Professor Snape was at least a bit grateful (although he doesn’t want to show it), after all his hair did look a little less greasy today. He looked his brother straight in the eye and wiggled a finger to indicate the other prank they had pulled. They were extremely generously and anonymously left some candies in the Slytherin table. Ones that change into slugs the moment it touches their mouths.

Fred shook his head for something that minor would have landed them in McGonagall’s office and not the Headmaster’s. He placed his fist under his arms and flapped them. This was to indicate an incident where they accidentally sent Professor Flitwick floating up the ceiling. They were aiming for Lee, but the dolt ducked.

George shook his head for Flitwick was too much of a softie to send them to the Headmaster for such a small accident. He pinched his nose to suggest that it could be due to the stink sap in the Slytherin’s water tank.

Fred frowned for surely they couldn’t be blamed for that. They gave Peeves the stink sap and offered the Poltergeist free samples of their wares for this small favour…

The Headmaster watched this exchange with an amused twinkle in his eyes, “I see.”
    Author Name: the nutty imp
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Place to buy socks?
    Word count: 151

“Is there anything you’d like to tell me?” Twinkling blue eyes warmly acknowledged the House Elf in front of him.

Dobby had thought that this was a good idea, but Dobby thought this no longer. Surely the Headmaster was a busy man, yet Dobby has needs and had Dobby never had money before … Dobby likes those purple socks and Dobby wants to get a similar pair. Dobby can surely afford it, now that he had just received his salary, but Dobby knows not where to buy nice purple socks.

Dobby now feels guilty for wasting the man’s time for a frivolous question. Surely Professor Trelawney who waits outside has more important issues to discuss than where the Headmaster buys his socks.

The Headmaster’s eyes twinkled knowingly, he wrote a note in a piece of parchment paper and offered this to the House elf. He gave Dobby a smile, “I see.”

cmwinters
    Author Name: CM Winters
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Thoughts of Indecision
    Word count: 497

"Is there anything you would like to tell me?”

I can't believe he asked me such a question. Does he think I haven't thought about it? Of course I've thought about it! I thought about it a good long while before even deciding to come here. I best not roll my eyes in front of him, but really, would I like to tell him something? No. Should I? That's another matter entirely.

I can't believe what happened last night! I fought with them all about changing their decision. I KNOW what disaster this can wreak!

On the other hand . . . it certainly may make things very, very good. At least for me.

It's funny, that my insistence that they stick with the original plan only served to further cement their opinion that I'm the right choice after all.

Ouch! My finger hurts. I've been gnawing on it a lot for the last few hours and it's starting to become raw. Maybe, since I'm at the school, I should go to Severus for something. Pickled tentacles, or something along those lines? He is here, after all. On the other hand, we've all steadfastly avoided him, and he us, for the past two years. He'd get suspicious if I suddenly went to him for something. And he doesn't know about me. If I brought myself to his attention, he might figure out what's going on. I simply cannot have that.

Blast! Dumbledore's looking at me expectantly. Well, I'm NOT going to meet his eyes, I won't! I've heard what they say about him, that he's nearly as gifted a Legilimens as the Dark Lord. I'm not stupid, no matter what everyone else thinks!

I'd better make a decision, quickly. If I continue to dally, it will only make him more suspicious.

You know, in the long run, I think this really will be better for everyone. Well, except for the boy, but he is hardly my concern.

His parents - well, that's another matter entirely. But they'll get over the initial shock, people always do. No matter how convinced they are that they will not. And besides, they're young, they can have another child. This game they've been playing is dangerous as well as foolish, they can't honestly hope to come out on top! Better to get it out of the way now, then we can all go on with our lives.

I'd better just hand the parchment over. Sirius is such a fool. He honestly thinks that by writing the address in his hand, it will lead the pursuers to him, even if I'm the one that has to
    give them the parchment, thereby revealing the Secret myself. He still thinks everyone will think he was the Keeper.

No, there isn't anything I want to tell Dumbledore.

They'll all see that I was right, eventually.

I need to just leave. I . . . have other places to be today.

"I see."

Sour.Apple.
    Author Name: Sour.Apple
    Title: Wallowing in Silence
    Word count: 216

“Is there anything you would like to tell me?”

Yes professor, I thought sarcastically to myself, I would love to spill my recent doing with you. I mean, it’s not like you would give me a detention or anything.

As if.

Maybe I should make something up? He probably wouldn’t believe me even if I did tell the truth.

Yes professor, I visualized myself saying. We were only doing it for the welfare of the school. He really did need to take a bath. Okay, so maybe the pink bubbles were slightly unnecessary. But you must admit, pink really is dear Snivillus’ color.

So we might of gone a little far with the potion, but that was the best part! You can’t punish us for showing Gryffindor spirit, can you? The dye will wash out in a few days...a week. Actually, now that I think of it, the state of how long it remains slips my mind currently. I’ll have get back to you on that one.

Now that I think of it, professor, why did you call on only me to come down to your office? Are you trying to let me wallow in my thoughts, with no one to talk to save you, so I admit the whole scheme?

Sirius, you’re losing it.

“I see.”

Author Name: Sour.Apple
    Title: Haunting Decisions
    Word count: 212

“Is there anything you would like to tell me?”

Do I turn them in? He wouldn’t blame me for something they did, would he?

I knew I shouldn’t have let them go through with it in fifth year. I should of just told them no, that I was fine transforming alone. We could have hurt somebody gallivanting around the Hogwarts grounds.

I made to spill out my(or rather my fellow Marauder’s) secret to him, but couldn’t bring myself to do it.

I’ve betrayed him. He won’t trust me if I tell him. I’ll be out of here before the sun sets, with nowhere to go.

But, what if Harry dies because Black is sneaking into the castle as a dog. It’s hopeless. I’ve already messed up once and it cost Lily and James their lives, I can’t do it again and kill their only son.

If only I had insisted they use a different secret keeper, then they could still be standing today and I wouldn’t be in this mess.

So, I either tell Dumbledore and get sent out of Hogwarts and rejected completely by society, or I don’t tell him and risk the possibility of Harry being murdered.

Oh Remus, look at the messes you get yourself into.

“I see.”

Lily_writes
    Name: Lily_writes
    House: Ravenclaw!
    Title: Is There a Problem, Professor Dumbledore?
    Word Count: 219
    Warnings: None, anymore...

"Is there anything you would like to tell me?"

James Potter and Lily Evans were both standing in front of Professor Dumbledore's desk.

Does he know what we were doing? Lily thought anxiously. I know it was inappropriate, but it was too much fun! I mean, it sounded like a good idea at the time.

I knew I shouldn't have persuaded Lily to do this, James thought, looking over at his nervous girlfriend. I mean, it's not something most teachers punish you for. We were only having some innocent fun, is all. I just wish we looked a little more presentable.

Oh no! I just remembered that some of the other kids said he could read minds! Oh man, we could be in so much trouble! Lily thought, panicking slightly now. What we did was far from dignified, and something I would never have thought I would do anywhere, let alone by the lake while it's raining out.

Oh, great, I just remembered that Dumbledore is one of those Leg...legi...mind readers, James thought. All I have to do is not think about Filch hauling us up here because we were having a mud ball fight in the rain. Oh no....

Dumbledore surveyed the Head Boy and Girl, who were dripping mud onto the floor.

"I see."

Mistletoe

Trust

Author Name: Mistletoe
    Title: Trust
    Word count: 367
    Warnings: none

“Is there something you would like to tell me?”

Should I tell him or not? Was it worth losing the trust of my best friends for the sake of saving myself? No, it was not worth it at all.

We had been carelessly roaming the grounds as we did once every month. Only this time, Remus got out of control, and even Sirius wasn’t able to tame him. He ran from us after Sirius had so desperately tried to calm him down at the site of a human.

The mere smell of this young boy set Remus off. He wildly launched himself in the direction of the boy, but Sirius carefully threw himself in Remus’ path which gave me just enough time to throw the boy on my back and take him safely and quickly to the Hogwarts steps. The boy ran inside, presumably to Dumbledore.

Once I returned to Sirius and Peter, Remus was nowhere to be found. We searched everywhere for the werewolf until the crack of dawn when we heard him whimpering by the Whomping Willow. He was just inside the entrance to the tunnel that Dumbledore so generously made for Remus’ escape during his transformations.

If I had been the young boy, maybe a first or second year, I would have gone directly to Dumbledore to tell him of the werewolf, black dog, stag, and rat that I had seen on the grounds.

Dumbledore isn’t dense,
    I thought quickly. He must know that the other three animals helping Remus were not real animals. What if he knows what we have done? But I cannot admit to it. It is against wizarding law to be an unregistered Animagus. But would Dumbledore really turn us in for breaking the law in order to keep our friend under control? He wouldn't-- would he? I mean, it is a serious breach of wizarding law.

Dumbledore has already risked so much by allowing Remus to go to school here, all we would be doing by admitting to it would be betraying his trust. We are threatening ourselves for the sake of our best friend, and nothing is going to stop me, or us, from still doing it.

“I see.”