Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a Question About Being a Beta? Ask it Here!

jenny b
    I was wondering if you have to be a part of the Beta Mentoring Program to become a beta here? I have never beta-ed before, but I have good English skills, so would it be necessary?

myownmuggle
    No, it's not necessary, but we encourage those new to betaing - and those new to betaing for MNFF - to get involved with the program.

irrevocably blair
    Hello! *waves excitedly*

So I've been a beta on other forums, and I'd like to think that I'm pretty experienced/qualified. Thus, I'd love to start beta-ing on MNFF ASAP. [I've just recently discovered the site and - what can I say? - I adore it already.] Just wondering: in order to start beta work as soon as humanly possible, I'd love to participate in 'Beta Mentoring'... However, the link in a previous post on this thread doesn't work for me, and I can't seem to find a thread dedicated to the 'Beta Mentor Program'. Could anyone help me out with this 'mentoring' thing?

Oh, and if anyone has any [other] advice on how to start a successful career as a beta on MNFF, I'd me more than happy to have it. [By the way, I think I get the gist of PI, and that it's important to be PI-accredited, but the site says that it's closed to new registration. Any input there?]

Thanks for listening to my [excitement-fueled] ramblings.

Enthusiastically yours,
    Blair

myownmuggle
    The Beta Mentoring Program has been discontinued. If you wish to offer your services as a beta here, I'd recommend you review this post before posting an ad.

Also, Perfect Imagination is closed to new beta applications and tests at the moment until the site administrator returns from leave.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I'm doing my first beta job using Track Changes, and am unsure how to insert comments. Help please?

Phia

(Avvie and banner by me, quote from Fancy, by John Keats)

myownmuggle
    Phia, I usually turn on the Reviewing Toolbar when I'm working with Track Changes. That allows me to see all of the buttons I can use in Track Changes. There is a button that looks like a piece of paper with an asterisk on it. That's the Insert Comments button. When you are done with a particular comment, use the little close button.

Alternately, if you are in Track Changes, you can go to Insert and click on comment.

Since we seem to get a lot of questions about Track Changes, would someone who is experienced with using them be interested in drafting a tutorial for new users? If you are, please contact me by PM.

Edit: Thank you, Sandy!

irrevocably blair
    Note: I love the idea of a Track Changes tutorial! That would be incredibly helpful.

Just for reference, if beta sets up a thread in this forum or the 'Beta Guild' forum, can he/she still respond to ads in the 'Betas Wanted' forum?

Snape's Talon
    In order to post a thread in the Beta Guild, you must request membership and meet the requirements; namely, you must first be PI Accredited. Both accredited and non-accredited betas are welcomed to respond to Beta Wanted ads.

irrevocably blair
    Quote Originally Posted by Snape's Talon
    In order to post a thread in the Beta Guild, you must request membership and meet the requirements; namely, you must first be PI Accredited. Both accredited and non-accredited betas are welcomed to respond to Beta Wanted ads.

Thanks, I realize that. So if a beta sets up a thread in the 'Beta Services, For Sale and Rent' forum, can he/she still answer ads in the 'Betas Wanted' forum?

Sandy: Yes.

Rose Wilts

This may sound stupid

I've never actually beta-ed before, but I would like to.
    The reason I may say this would sound stupid is because, I'm not really very good with the whole structural side of thing. My grammar isn't as polished as a betas should be.
    I would like to help people who are struggling to come up with a strong plot, or to help structure sentences to a way that sounds better. That's the kind of work I'd like to do.
    Are there many people who are after that?