Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nymphadora Tonks

cmwinters
    That wasn't a stupid question!

How are you supposed to know about the Lexicon if someone hasn't told you? Most people aren't that good at tapping into the Akashic record.

The Lexicon is fantastic. It covers all kinds of craziness.

And there's all kinds of craziness it doesn't cover, too.

Beth: Though there is a thread entitled "Looking for Character Help? Read this first!" But now you know about the Lexicon and all its goodness.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Hey guys!

I just wrote a Tonks/Sirius fic. It was called Who Knew / The Best-Kept Secret, and it was rejected for OOCness.

It was from Tonks' point of view, and feaured her interacting very tenderly with Sirius for a couple of scenes. basically she's discussing Snape with him, and how he mustn't let Snape provoke him, and how she is so frightened that something will happen to him. Then there was the scene where he died and she was powerless to help him. In this scene she mostly felt an overwhelming need to get to him, and she strains to do so until the point where her battered body blacks out. Then when she comes round she's basically shattered for many minutes, and then resolves to keep on fighting, for him.

I think where I must have gone wrong was the bit about her expressing her worriedness for him. She never says anything straight out like that in the real books, and I guess it goes against her character. But I needed her to say it!

“Sirius, no! You don’t understand what it’s like at work. I mean, sure Kingsley’s head of the hunt for you, but half the other Aurors are reading into your case on their days off! Every day I worry that there’s going to be another tip-off, that someone’ll twig to where you are. There’s dozens of Detection Charms all over London ever since Lucius Malfoy said that you’re here, and I doubt even your dog form’d be safe! Once the dungheads realise that You-Know-Who is back you’ll be able to get out there and fight him but until then you are needed here! Do you understand me?”
    And another of her more dubious lines (WARNING- this one's a bit PG rated)

“Sirius Black, if you really think I’ve spent this much time in your arms and your bed without being able to know you and your ways in the least, then perhaps I don’t know you!”
    Can anyone help me fix this lines, make them Tonks', without losing the meaning?

Anyway, since it's a problem with the overall fic, I don't suppose there's much anyone can do for me in this thread. BUT- if you are a keen Tonks writer, and a beta, and would like to give me a hand with just this fic, I would be forever in your debt!

Phia Nix

(Avvie and banner by me, quote from Fancy, by John Keats)

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    In your fist excerpt, I think it seems a bit long and gushing for her. She's a strong girl and knows that grabbing onto Sirius' ankles to try and stop him from fighting isn't going to help matters. Make it into more of a conversation, because she has to have very strong lungs to be able to mange to say that much.

I think she would be worried for him, yes, but I think you should try cutting it down slightly. She's not going to loose her head that easily, and I think she'd point out to Sirius all the dangers in a practical, sensible way.

Hope your fic works!

Beth: Good help! 5 points. - awarded

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Thanks very much, that's really really helpful. I've now gone back and made it like, at the start, she sort of sighs and says "Sirius, you know you can't do that. Dumbledore says you can't." Then Sirius argues, she tells him off again, he argues again, she starts getting annoyed and gives a less gushy version of that speech. I would post it here, but it's on the laptop, which dad took to work this morning.

I will probably be back.

Phia Nix

(Avvie and banner by me, quote from Fancy, by John Keats)

AshNight
    Nymph---er---Tonks is a character that is not easy to fully grasp. She's strong, and yet is girly enough to be comfortable around Ginny and Hermione. She loves a werewolf, has one of the most dangerous jobs in the wizarding world as an auror...

So here is a question I've been trying to figure out all day...what is her biggest fear?

I don't think her fear would be anything little and silly so spiders, water, dark...etc are marked off the list. She is a strong girl and when confronted by spiders would only squash them. Which leaves me scratching my head, wondering what sort of fears she would have.

I started to think, rejection, but than I realized that someone who feared rejection would probably have been even WORSE off when someone rejected their love (Remus). Yes, Tonks took it hard, but someone who's biggest fear just came true would probably hold up in their house and have a mental breakdown. Tonks is not afraid of love, either, because she was the one who told Remus first that she liked him.

Any help? My brain is about spent...

cmwinters
    If I had to take a guess, I'd say it would have something to do with her, her parents, and/or her husband and child being tortured by Death Eaters for being (varying degrees of blood traitor, half-blood, Muggleborn and half-breed). She was sufficiently disturbed by the potential outcome of the war to abandon her child to ensure the child had a world to grow up in at all.

Further, between her Metamorphamagus status and her husband's Lycanthrope status (and her child's apparent Metamorphamagus status), they could easily be targeted even more.

And even brave people can have irrational fears. I was a paratrooper and adore animals, even snakes and spiders and mice, but raccoons will have me standing on the table shrieking like a little girl.

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    I think some sort of dark creature. Something she's come across in Auror training and has frightened her half-silly. What about --- acromantula (they're pretty scary) or a vampire (seeing as vampires hate werewolves, she might be scared of them for Lupin's sake rather than her own). Her boggart/deepest fear having her loved ones die is starting to annoy me in fics. For me, I think Boggarts represent more something your paranoid about. Everyone's scared of their loved ones dieing. It's used too commonly in stories. If I were you I'd think of something different. But of course I'm not.

If I were you (again) I'd look through Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's dead useful for finding quite disturbing animals that can be really scary!

cmwinters
    I sincerely doubt she'd have even seen an Acromantula. Ron was already afraid of spiders in the first place, but the existence of the Acromantula colony was only rumoured, and Ron & Harry only saw it because of a mission they went on that Hagrid told them about. Tonks wasn't there, and didn't see it.

AurorKeefy
    I'm repeating myself again, consider me mugglenet's broken record.

When it comes to fears that manifest themselves in the form of a boggart, it is worth pointing out that these are not necessarily the worst fear of the person in question. I know it might be citied as being so in the books, but it certainly doesn't work like that. Does Harry care less for the lives of Ron and Hermione than encountering a dementor? Does Ron care less for Harry and Hermione than encountering a spider? Of course not. The fear that manifests itself in the Boggart is very different from characters worse-case-scenarios. In this way, Mrs Weasley - an absolute mother (and mother figure) who is scared to death of what happens to her children - is very much the exception to the rule, rather than the rule itself. There is a much greater deal of simplicity to the Boggart than is usually accounted for.

To be direct to this question, I think that Tonks would be scared of something that had manifested itself during her childhood. Spiders are not completely out of the question, nor are snakes, or if you would like to take a magical - and rather soppy IMHO - bent, then werewolves might be one to offer up. What fairy tales did Tonks read as a child? What imparted a fear within her that young?

In reality, what does she want least? The death of her son and husband. Unlucky for Tonks on the latter. That is not exactly a fear though, and Tonks' trade and surroundings make for a very different set of obvious fears than Mrs Weasley.

I_LUV_MOONY
    Quote Originally Posted by AurorKeefy

To be direct to this question, I think that Tonks would be scared of something that had manifested itself during her childhood. Spiders are not completely out of the question, nor are snakes, or if you would like to take a magical - and rather soppy IMHO - bent, then werewolves might be one to offer up. What fairy tales did Tonks read as a child? What imparted a fear within her that young?
    I think Tonks being afraid of werewolves could make sense. Maybe she didn't warm up to Remus quite as much as we all like to believe. Maybe it took a while for her to understand that he wasn't a monster all the time. Perhaps as a child she read some fairy tales, like AurorKeefy said, that had the werewolf as the bad guy who kidnapped the princess and was killed by Prince Charming. Or if you wanted a Beauty and the Beast type thing, maybe the princess and werewolf did fall in love, but Tonks didn't think that was possible.

Hope I've helped!