Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Nymphadora Tonks

NymphadoraLupin

Tonks in school

In response to how Tonks behaved in school,

I've actually been toying with the idea of writing a "Tonks era" school fic, seeing as how there are so little of them and so much creative room to work with, so to speak.

I imagine her as being (especially when she's younger) being known by the whole school for a few things.

1) quite obviously, she's a metamorphagus which we haven't encountered anywhere else in the whole book series, therefore she's rare in that way already.

2) What I think people forget is that she went to school after Voldemort's downfall and all those leftover Death Eaters were being caught. Also, we know that Sirius considered Andromeda his favorite cousin and it can be assumed that he might have visited at some point which may or may not have been known to the wizarding community. Add that to the fact that she's related to around half of the Death Eaters, it's likely she would have been seen as "the metamorphagus who's Bellatrix Lestrange's niece and Sirius Black's cousin"

If this is true, which there's a good chance it is, she must have felt compelled to prove herself and show where her loyalties lay which is where I think she got the idea to be an auror during school.

That is just my take on it though :]

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have been wondering something lately. Do we know exactly how many Metamorphagi there are in the world? I thought I might have heard something about Tonks and Teddy being the only ones in current history, but I am not sure if this is true.

Has anyone else heard anything otherwise? Just how many Metamorphagi out of six billion people seems like a logical number?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I have been wondering something lately. Do we know exactly how many Metamorphagi there are in the world? I thought I might have heard something about Tonks and Teddy being the only ones in current history, but I am not sure if this is true.

Has anyone else heard anything otherwise? Just how many Metamorphagi out of six billion people seems like a logical number?
    No numbers are given in the books, only that they are "really rare."

Since Tonks (and later, Teddy) are the only ones ever mentioned, it's impossible to know how many there are, so the best way to guess is to compare it to the frequency of some real-world, rare genetic conditions.

From Wikipedia:

• About 1 in 17,000 human beings has some type of albinism.
    • Achondroplasia dwarfism (which accounts for about 70% of all dwarfism cases) occurs in approximately 1 in 25,000 people.
    • Polydactylism (being born with extra fingers or toes) occurs in 1 in 500 births.
    • Hemophilia occurs in somewhere between 1 in 5,000 and 1 in 34,000 (depending on the type) births.

Extrapolate from there.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Hm...well, they say one in ten people have magical powers, so that makes for a world population of about six hundred million. In that case, we have the following possible calculations.

1 in 10,000=60 Metamorphagi
    1 in 20,000=30 Metamorphagi
    1 in 30,000=20 Metamorphagi

Wow! A lot more than I thought there would be!

Thanks for the info, Inverarity! I have no idea where you find these bits of info, but it makes my life easier!

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Hm...well, they say one in ten people have magical powers, so that makes for a world population of about six hundred thousand. In that case, we have the following possible calculations.
    1 in 10 would mean six hundred million wizards, not six hundred thousand! If you're assuming six hundred thousand wizards worldwide, that means 1 in 10,000 people, which is probably more realistic.

Thanks for the info, Inverarity! I have no idea where you find these bits of info, but it makes my life easier!
    Knowing how to use Google and Wikipedia is a useful skill for anyone wanting to instantly produce random bits of trivia.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    There goes my selective math dyslexia again!

Let's see...

\ 10,000

\ 20,000

\ 30,000

\ 50,000

Seems like a really freakish amount, doesn't it? Do think it is possible that Metamorphagi are even more rare than any of these figures say?

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Seems like a really freakish amount, doesn't it? Do think it is possible that Metamorphagi are even more rare than any of these figures say?
    Yes, I think they are. Again, Metamorphmagi are mentioned as being really, really rare, and much rarer than Animagi. I can't remember the exact number, but Hermione said that there were about less than ten known Animagi in Britain during their century, and from the series we only see two Metamorphmagi - Tonks and Teddy.

So, if we say that there is one wizard per 10,000 Muggles, Great Britain would have a wizarding population of about 6,100. Out of those six thousand witches and wizards, we have TWO Metamorphmagi, which is just TINY. In fact, that works out to be 0.03% of the British wizarding population.

If we just assume that the magical population of the entire world is 600K, then 0.03% of that is 180. So there would probably be less than 200 Metamorphmagi in the entire world at any one point, assuming that all other wizarding nations have the same concentration of Metamorphmagi as Britain.

However, we must remember that the number of Metamorphmagi in Britain doubled from exactly one to two with Teddy's birth in Deathly Hallows, so having two Metamorphmagi per 6.1K wizards could be an inflated statistic. If we go by pre-Teddy figures, then the number of Metamorphmagi worldwide would be less than one hundred.

But personally, I would pin the number of Metamorphmagi worldwide at a number between 100 and 200.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Well how do we know that there aren't any other Metamorphmagi in the WHOLE of GB? Only because no one around Harry and Tonks knows about them doesn't mean they aren't there. If I showed you a picture from a random person in your country and you wouldn't recognise them, that doesn't mean they don't exist. There could be three or four more Metamorphmagi in Britain, and then we're looking at very different numbers when it comes to how Teddy's birth influenced the statistics. Sorry if this is OT and not very Tonks-specific...
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

AReader
    Well, if there is at least one other metamorphmagus in Britian, and Teddy was a metamorphmagus because Tonks was, does that mean that there will be more metamorphmagi in later generations?

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I think that it depends on whether the metamorphmagi-gene (let's just call it the 'MG') is reaccuring or not. For example, just because a metamorphmagi has children doesn't mean the MG has been passed on. In Teddy's case, it was, but it most likely won't always be.