Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Culture Help

cirelondiel
    Well, Rhi, there is also a French Language Help thread

But anyway:
    As kehribar said, "I don't know" would be "Je ne sais pas". In informal spoken French that could be abbreviated to "J'sais pas".

For "we'll see"... well, off the top of my head I can think of "Voyons..." which is like "Let's see...", but that may not be exactly what you're looking for...

I think my French books tend to use things like "Euh..." or "Eh..." for little pensive sort of sounds like 'hmm'. And I'm pretty sure my French friends (or one of them, at least) writes 'hum...' for 'hmm'. You can probably add more h and m's to those if you want.

It would be helpful if you could give us some more specific contextual details, especially as French has some large differences between formal and informal language and so on. You might want to go and post what you're looking for in the language thread I posted the link for, though.

OliveOil_Med - sorry, I don't know anything about French boarding schools. But I'm pretty sure your typical French school doesn't have houses, and house systems seem like a distinctly British thing to me. I'll try and find out, though.

I hope this helps you both! (I'm not French, though, so others might know better than me )

- Chelsea

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    For "we'll see"... well, off the top of my head I can think of "Voyons..." which is like "Let's see...", but that may not be exactly what you're looking for...
    "On verra" is a good bet for "we'll see". That means 'we shall see,' so that's probably the closest you can get. 'on' actually translates to 'one' (as in, one must do this), but I found that people in France tended to use 'on' to mean 'we' much more than they used the actual word for 'we', which is 'nous'. I hope that made sense...
    "My schedule's full," would most likely be, "Je suis occupé." Add an extra 'e' to the end if it's a girl speaking.
    Hope this was helpful
    Eliza

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Alright, so French schools do not have house-systems. That is just a British thing. How do the students live when they are away at school? Do they live in one small room that they share with maybe one or two other students, or in a suite with many more?

Perhapes there are actually houses on the school grounds where as many as a dozen students all live together.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    OliveOil_Med

I've been to a French boarding school for a school exchange. There, four students shared one room, divided into two wards with two beds in each ward. Boys and girls slept in different parts of the building, but you can easily make it two buildings - one for girls, one for boys. The rooms itself were relatively small. There was enough place for the beds and a wardrobe for each student, a desk for everyone also. But that's about it really. The place to walk was sufficient, nothing too wide or narrow.

EDIT: here's a photo - in two versions. It's dark, and the first has a red splotch on it. photo1 The second has been "unsplotched", but the quality is still not the best. photo2 I hope the photos help to get across what I meant with the wards though. That was the dorm I slept in during the school exchange.

Then there's the movie Les enfants de Monsieur Mathieu. It's a boys only boarding school, and there many boys (around ten to twenty) share one dorm. But then again, the story of the movie plays in the 1950s, so... *shrugs*

I know an anime series with a kind of "boarding school". It was an orphanage though. Like in my RL experience boys and girls were strictly divided, sleeping in different buildings. There I believe the younger ones shared a room as four to six, and the older children had rooms for two.

Hope I helped,

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Thank you so much, luinrina. Maybe you could share with me a few other little tidbits about French education that you believe may be helpful in writing a story, based on your own experiences.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Muggle French schools count their years in reverse (i.e. Their first year would be called
    7th year). You may be able to make this different in a Wizarding School, but I thought that you might find that interesting.

bling_baby
    I didn't see a French language thread so I'll post here.

I'm having a French person in my story, so I need some help here. There are a few I'm going to need in the future (though I hope that I have a beta for that later on).

Here are the two words.

Death Eater

Spell (I know it's an odd one, but I have two options in the dictionary and I was hoping somebody knew the word she used for it in the book.)

Striped_Candycane
    Death Eater: Mangemort. It is a word that has a feminine and a masculine form. So a male Death Eater would be a Mangemort, a female a Mangemorte, and more than two would be Mangemorts.

Spell: I think you can use a variety of words, but "un sortilège" or "un sort" seems to be the most common.

-Veronica

Midnight Storm
    This question is directed at anybody who lives in a country that uses Euros[sp?]

Is there 'slang' for the word 'Euro'? We Aussies (and maybe the Americans too, I dunno) use 'buck' for 'dollar' and I'm pretty sure the British use 'quid' for 'pound'. What about the Euro-users?

Thanks!
    ~Midnight Storm

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Well, we Germans sometimes say dosh or dough for money itself. For euros, we sometimes say "eus".

Hope that helps.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^