Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FRENCH Culture Help

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by hermy_loves_ron
    Sorry if this belongs in the language thread instead, I wasn't sure!

In and around the time period of the French Revolution (more specifically 1792) what languages would it be plausible for the French to speak? I'm aware that centuries ago it was pretty normal for children to be multi-lingual, especially in Europe. The languages I'd thought of were French (obviously), English, German, and Italian. Not every French person would be able to speak all of those, of course, but overall, those seemed like they might be relatively common. I just need a way for the students of Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, and Hogwarts to have only one language in common with all three of them: English. Am I totally off on this?

Thanks!
    French was spoken pretty much in every country of Western Europe, at least among the noble, the rich and the powerful; and the French living near the Spanish, Italian and German borders probably knew these languages as well. Given the existence of the Triwizard Tournament, it is however likely that the European cooperation was quite developed in the magical community, therefore the students would have at least one language in common. I don't know which, of French or English, is the most probable; so you might choose either. Both are possible, although it would be a good idea to have the students from the two foreign schools to have foreign language classes.

hermy_loves_ron
    Oh, that's a good idea about the language classes. I understand that it might be likely that they all spoke French at the tournament, but I have just a few little problems: a) I don't speak French and b) all the fanfics on this site are in English. I'm not sure many people would be able to read it if all the dialogue was in French. I guess I just wanted to know if it was at all plausible that they'd all be speaking English.

I suppose I could just write it out in English and say things like "she said in French", but that just seems a bit odd to me to do for the whole fiction. Especially since I'd probably have to indicate accents, and at that point it just gets so confusing....

SiriuslyMental
    For most things, if the entire fic is spoken in French, you wouldn't have to say anything about French. They could speak normally. Then, if someone was to say something in English, you would say "she said in English", etc. And then every once in a while have something French in italics, like, if the person is speaking to someone who does not understand French. I think that that would work.

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyMental
    For most things, if the entire fic is spoken in French, you wouldn't have to say anything about French. They could speak normally. Then, if someone was to say something in English, you would say "she said in English", etc. And then every once in a while have something French in italics, like, if the person is speaking to someone who does not understand French. I think that that would work.
    Indeed. I don't think foreign authors bother to say, "They said in English" in their fanfictions ^_^. Don't worry about accents either... Most of the time they're poorly done and annoying to read. If you need specific French words, you might ask for them in the language help thread, but that would be it.

pureblood.princess
    Hi everyone!

As Bill and Fleur's wedding, do you think it would be plausible if Gabrielle was drinking wine? Even if she was thirteen or fourteen? Also, would it be wierd if she had drank it before as well? Not necessarily often, but she had.

Just to make something clear, is there anything special about how the bridesmaid and bride's dresses would look? Any particular thing on colour or design?

-Laila

Eowyn89
    As Bill and Fleur's wedding, do you think it would be plausible if Gabrielle was drinking wine? Even if she was thirteen or fourteen? Also, would it be wierd if she had drank it before as well? Not necessarily often, but she had.

Just to make something clear, is there anything special about how the bridesmaid and bride's dresses would look? Any particular thing on colour or design?

I can try to help with some of this....

It is not uncommon for European children to begin drinking at a younger age than American ones because the legal drinking age is lower (I think), but they are not going to be guzzling down alcohol either. I can see her drinking maybe one glass of wine or champagne, out of respect and as a social thing. It is not uncommon for Europeans to take wine with their meals, just like the States.

I don't think it would be weird for her to have tasted a drink before. People here do the same thing--if there is alcohol in the house, more than likely she has tried it before. Not to mention, the French are famous for their wine

I was a bridesmaid in a Swedish wedding just last weekend, and really the only "faux pas" on color was black and white. You could not wear black because that was the color of mourning, and you could not wear white because that was what the bride was wearing. I'm sure French weddings are similar in that aspect, but you would also have to look into the religion Fleur practices. If she were having a Catholic wedding there would be different customs than, say, a Lutheran wedding.

There are my two cents. By the way, to all the French natives here---your country is amazingly beautiful! I was just there on holiday, along with Germany, Italy, and Sweden. It definitely allowed me to experience more French culture, and practice the langauge as well

I hope I helped, and if I have any errors, please feel free to correct them! Salut!

~Katie

pureblood.princess
    Thanks so much!

-Laila

**plotbunnies**
    Just in case you're still wondering,

I don't think it would be too suprising for Gabrielle to be drinking some wine, but not that much. It would be reasonable for her to have tasted it before. I think that the drinking age would be about the same as the US, but early teens would probably have tasted it before, considering how big a part wine is in French Culture.

I am not French, but I live in a nearby country (Ireland) and visit Paris about twice a year.

~Anne

CopLopARopA
    About the wine thing, my French teacher told me that kids in France often start drinking at a very young age, possibly as young as nine or ten, but they drink watered down alot, and in very small amounts, and would never get near to drunk. Hope this helps!

Lobena Bricatta

Wine

I have been drinking wine for as long as I remember, when I was young my grandfather and I would make win together. Drinking in excess was never allowed, but drinking was never a big deal.