Thread: FRENCH Culture Help

nikkiolapotter
    How would I say 'Take my hand'?

5050505050I love NBB

SiriuslyMental
    "Prends ma main." - informal

"Prenez ma main." - formal

Mnemone Radford
    For the title of a fic I'm writing, I was considering using "Soleil Sanglant", which I'm pretty sure means either "[A] Bloody Sun" or "The Sun Lies in Blood", or at least something to that effect. Sounds gory, I know, but this is an angsty fic. I just wanted to check with someone who actually knows French (aside from my mom, who I'm sure would be positively horrified if I asked her that!) that this is correct. If not, I'd appreciate an alternative phrase. Maybe you can even think up of a better title... o.O

Thanks so much!

~Mnemone~

Love_is_4ever
    I'm not sure how quick you guys are at answering questions, but I'll take a shot..

It snows at France, right? When does it start snowing? I mean, not something big, just a little bit of snow...

~ Samarie

SiriuslyMental
    Yes, it snows in France. But it depends on where in France.

Ghoul in Pajamas
    I hope this isn't too specific, but I was wondering about shopping in Paris for grocery items. Do you go to seperate bakeries, produce places, etc. or are there convenience stores where you can find most of what you need? If you know about another large city in France, it's probably similar. Thanks!

~Kristen

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoul in Pajamas
    I hope this isn't too specific, but I was wondering about shopping in Paris for grocery items. Do you go to seperate bakeries, produce places, etc. or are there convenience stores where you can find most of what you need? If you know about another large city in France, it's probably similar. Thanks!

~Kristen

I... don't want to sound chauvinistic or anything, but... France is a pretty well developed country, you know, and Paris has only few characteristics in common with a small village :P. Yes, you'll find "convenience stores" at about every street corner in Paris, or in any big city, or in any of the smaller ones, for that matter.

Now some people prefer to do their grocery shopping in small stores, since the products are of a better quality (although more expensive); bread, cheese and meat are good examples. But most don't bother and just go to the big stores.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me of any small quaint villages in France. Like ones that tourists have never really seen or heard of before.

Thanks
    x

Tinn Tam
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous_Ginny
    I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me of any small quaint villages in France. Like ones that tourists have never really seen or heard of before.

Thanks
    x

Google Map is your friend.

Just zoom on the region you want (West? South-West? Centre? South? South-East? North? Parisian area? Big differences) and look at the smaller villages... With the satellite images you'll even get the geographic characteristics. If you're not sure it's a touristic one, Google the name of the village, and see what you get. That's what I do for my stories. It's tedious, but it's the best way.

EDIT: Okay I'll do the work for you this time. :P

I zoomed on an area at random (Pays de La Loire - Bretagne, Western part of the country) and got: Croquemais, Le Pas-Guillaume, Le Chêne-Rouaud, Le Fossé Neuf, Penhouët, Le Val, Le Plat d'Or, Kervaly.

Striped_Candycane
    I know Tinn Tam already answered this question, but I have a bit to add…

As someone living in France, I can tell you that it is impossible NOT to find any small, quaint villages that tourists haven’t heard of. One way of finding them is like TimTam suggested, but I think you should also check out http://www.cometofrance.com/PBVF.html

“Les Plus Beaux Villages de France”, or the Most Beautiful Villages in France, are villages that have been chosen for their beauty and "quaint" atmosphere. There are actually quite a lot of them, so most tourists probably haven't heard of all of them. A sign like the one below marks the entrance to the villages chosen. The site above also gives you a small profile of every one of these villages, if you're looking for a little background as well...

Sorry if this is a little much, but since I've been dragged around the french countryside (and therefore around "Plus Beaux Villages" ) an infinite number of times by my parents, I thought that the knowledge might help you and eventually others!

~Veronica