Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowena Ravenclaw

harrypotterfangirl21
    According to J. K. Rowling's official website:

"One of the four famous Founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Rowena Ravenclaw was the most brilliant witch of her time, though legend has it that a broken heart - cause unknown - contributed to her early demise."

Without giving away any DH Spoilers, I believe that the "broken heart" was explained in Chapter 31 of Book 7 by... someone who told their "story" to Harry. According to what we are told, I assume that the person telling the story was responsible. I would go into more detail, but I fear the ever-present mods...

In terms of a Rowena ship, I can see Rowena/Salazar easier than Rowena/Godric. Slytherin, after all, was known for being cunning and sly, qualities that would blend well with the wit and intelligence of Ravenclaw.

Assuming that Rowena loved Salazar, her heart could also have been broken when Salazar left the school for good.

Hope that helped!

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Funny, I always thought the founders' love lives were like this:
    RR was friends with HH because she defended her from bullies at school.
    HH got a crush on GG (the school 'hottie' who everyone loved-except RR)
    GG kept on trying to impress her, which didn't work.
    After more talk, RR found out about GG's good sides. They get together and get married.
    SS loved RR secretly, but never told her.

Hope that makes sense in some vauge way!

pumpkin_juice
    The trick with Rowena is to make her sound intelligent, of course, but not over confident and cocky with her knowledge. I see here being quite a strong woman, not one to cower in the shadow of others and very well spoken.

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Yep. I see her being quite fiery and very ready to stand up for herself, or others. But also with a very caring and passionate side. But being quite vengeful if she was betrayed.

But Rowena is a good character to play with, as we probably know the least about her. (All we know from the Sorting Hat is that she was smart and prized learning.)

Ravenclaw_Soprano
    I always see a little bit of pride in Rowena Ravenclaw. According to the Sorting Hat, Rowena said that she would take on the task of teaching those "whose intelligence was surest". She is saying that she has even more intelligence, enough to still be able to teach her students something.

<<< Some Spoilers Below >>> <<<Warning>>>
    We also know she has some pride because when something was stolen from her, she didn't want to admit that it was stolen. Admitting that would say that she had some sort of incompetence in her ability to protect her stuff.

<<< End Spoilers >>>

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Yes, and we also have to wonder if she was a good mother. I doubt it, seeing as what happened in DH. If she had been a good one, then her daughter wouldn't have felt so bad about it all.

Does it state anywhere in Canon who Helena's dad was?

tha_looney_one
    I always thought of Rowena as a quiet, shy, almost withdrawn sort of person. We don't know much about Ravenclaw's except for Luna and Cho, so I think they, and possibly their founder, are tight-knit, maybe even suspicious.

I think both R/G and R/S would work, but I lean towards R/S. You do have a lot of freedom in this though; you picked a good character for creativity.

SPOILERS!!!!!
    As for Helena, I don't think her dad was a founder, but again, you can do whatever you want

pokethedevil
    I think it would be unfair to say that Rowena was not a good mother, you know, she loved her child dearly, but I guess she simply didn't have enough time for her, being the founder of Hogwarts and all, and I think that deep inside, she was aware of this, but couldn't do anything about it and she regretted this at the end.

Since DH, I have viewed her death as a great tragedy; she wanst so old, she was beautiful, smart witty, and the possible love interest of both SS and GG, and of course becaue of her,um, child....thingy......
    gawd i have to be lamely discreet about this....feh.

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Yes, but I think neglecting your child is being a bad mother. If she really didn't have enough time for Helena, she should have given her away to a relative who didn't have any children (there were plenty of them in those days because of the number of miscarriages).

Or failing that, she could have put her up for adoption.

pokethedevil
    er...did they have adoption back then?
    I suppose your right, but even if she didn't have eough time for her daughter, she still loved her, she was a caring mother who made a few mistakes.
    The blame for whatever happened is mostly Helena's, but I suppose that's just who she is...