Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rowena Ravenclaw

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Of course they had adoption! Due to the dangers of birth and childhood, many people adopted children just in case none of theirs survived (mortality rates were high in those days).

But yes, I am inclined to feel Helena had a lot to do with it (this may just be because I absolutely hate the only girl I know with that name )

bling_baby
    With Rowena, I generally think that she was ahead of her time. Because she lived 1000s of years ago, women were brought up merely to be housewives to men. I can imagine this sounding very unappealing to Rowena, possibly meaning that she had the first school to accept women? Also - if you are discussing her adolecence - she could have a rather rebellious side to her.
    That's also why I agree with an early post talking about Godric and her. He had alot of courage so he probably would find something in Rowena which was attractive and mysterious to him - because she was so unlike other women. This could be the same the other way around. Rowena could find Godric attractive for the mere reason that he did not feel threatened by her modern thinking.

In looks, I do often imagine her with dark (black hair) but with blue eyes. This is usually because scottish are known for being fair so blue eyes would be common, but - just to make the point clearer - she is unlike other women, so blonde hair would not be so practical.

The name 'Rowena' origionates from Wales and means, "slender" and "fair." This just merely incorporates more of her features and that she comes from an area in the country. Some sites also discuss Old German roots, inwhich it would mean, "fame" and "happiness". This could possibly fit in with her character, but I think the Welsh meaning is more relevant.

The Eagle generally is symbolic in terms of power and freedom. Again, this shows about Rowena's aim to break away from the sexist society that she lived in. For a women - in terms of stero-types - she was a very strong character. There is no doubt that she would have alot of influence among the four. And even if she doesn't exactly fall into cunning like Salzar, being cunning requires alot of wisdom, so probably Rowena could find it easy to get her way with the founders. This also symbolised by the fact that the eagle is a bird of prey, so you would not see it being defeated by others easily.

As for adoption, they did have it. Pleantly of children were adopted because of how society and protection were in those days. Birth control was not as advanced and if a women was to get pregnant before marriage, it was frowned upon in society and the child would be too as it would be treated badly too because it was a b*****d (incase the forum think it still to be vulgar language.)

I don't think she was a bad mother. Helena was upset because she felt overshadowed by her mother. Everyone noticed Rowena's intelligence, beauty etc, and Helena felt that she was not given the attention she deserved from others. It was why she stole the diadem, as in a moment of jealousy she was convinced that Rowena used this for her intelligence and must not actually be as wise as she said.

It is true that she is very proud. But she also forgiving. While she would not admit it was stolen, she did wish to see her daughter again because she forgave her. If anything, Helena was more proud, as she refused to go to see Rowena because of the shame she had caused. Clearly, they were alike. But I'm not going to go into too much detail about Helena Ravenclaw as that is for another thread.

As for Phoebe Gruzelieur's love theory, I thought it was more like this:

RR loved GG
    GG loved RR (easy enough)
    HH had feelings for GG (because of his noble personality.)
    HH and RR were friends even with his because she was loyal to her.)
    SS took a liking to HH because she was more traditional (because of the purist attitude, I doubt he was have gone for a radical like Rowena.)
    HH married SS because she wanted someone to love.
    Something bad happens between GG and RR and they are pulled apart. (due to Lexicon saying something about Rowena dying from a broken heart.)

Okay...I think I'm done now.

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    It's funny all the different interpretations we have, isn't it?

I can't see SS falling for HH. I think he's the sort of guy who values independance and cunning - which I really can't see in HH. And I'm pretty sure HH was a Muggleborn/Half-blood. I'm not sure if it actually says in the books. But, you know.

I definitely think RR was rebellious. I think maybe Godric died, and that (and Helena's betrayl) caused her to die of a broken heart.

bling_baby
    Yes but SS seems like someone who wants to be in control. and HH is perfect for that. And (just to quickly say something about HH) she was loyal...of course. but who too? i think that meant proper pure blood witches. I think she was a pure blood and SS could use her to have more influence over the group.

Probably. But honestly, i don't think her and Godric ever married. I think - even if she loved Godric - she married ____ Ravenclaw, due to her surname. So perhaps even that she thinks that she is being distanced from her loved ones. This can then cause a depression and when she hears about the murder of the daughter...a broken heart.

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    I always thought Ravenclaw was her own surname!

But anyway, do you think Helga would sometimes feel she was living under RR's shadow, if they were friends?

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    I always thought Ravenclaw was her own surname!

But anyway, do you think Helga would sometimes feel she was living under RR's shadow, if they were friends?

bling_baby
    But if she was married - which she will have been traditionally if she had a daughter - wouldn't she take her husbands name? That was the traditional thing to do, even today.

cmwinters
    I don't know for sure about older English customs; I know in Italy women do not take their husband's names.

However, if she had already founded the school under her maiden name, then it's possible she didn't change it professionally.

Helga Hufflepuff was NOT a blood purist. Yes, the argument was primarily between Gryffindor and Slytherin, but from the word go, Hufflepuff said she'd be happy to take Muggleborn students. And Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw were best friends (much like Slytherin and Gryffindor were . . .)

Phoebe Gruzelieur
    Yes, English women do take their husband's surname, but I always thought she founded Hogwarts as a girl, and got married later, and just kept her surname during school for convieniance.

bling_baby
    But there is no canon proof of either.

And I did not exactly mean that Helga was against muggleborns, merely that I disagreed that she would be a muggleborn herself.