Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Character Studies

  1. #1
    Marauder by Midnight
    Guest

    Character Studies

    Character Study
    Kingsley Shacklebolt

    A dedicated Auror. A hard worker. A doting husband?

    Your task is to find a story, or a chapter, featuring Kingsley Shacklebolt and discover the roles and adjectives associated with this character. The questions you should ask yourself as you explore this character should be:
    • What are his important characteristics?
    • How does he react in different situations and what does it mean?
    • What words would be used to paint his picture?
    • How did the author help you draw your conclusions (ie, did the author’s tone words/dialogue/descriptions play an important part in characterizing him)?


    When giving your report, please include relevant quotes from the story you read to support your conclusion.

    Do NOT use chapters from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. There are several stories on the Mugglenet Fan Fiction databases that feature this interesting character.

    You may use outside sources, such as The Lexicon, for a guide if it helps you. (Here’s the link to his rather short description)

    Do not waste time giving us a physical description of Kingsley Shacklebolt unless there is some significant detail that helps in your conclusion.

    A possible 20 points for a study of the character. One study per person please. Marauder by Midnight and myownmuggle will be the judges. We will look for:
    • clarity
    • creativity
    • accuracy
    • attention to detail


    If a story already has a study done on it, to do a study on the same story, you must add more to your study. Because you have the ability to see which story already has a study done on it AND what that member has said about Kingsley Shacklebolt, find additional information and do not repeat what has been said.

    An example:

    Quote Originally Posted by #1
    In Sheepskin Willy’s story, readers see Kingsley as an avid golfer with a mean streak, due to the fact that he uses magic on the golf course.
    Quote Originally Posted by #2
    As #1 pointed out, Kingsley is a golfer. However, the fact that Kingsley uses magic on the green shows that he, if he were a Muggle, doesn’t have much golfing ability at all and in actuality, just likes the attention he gets after winning a superb match.
    (#2’s report is what we like to see: more in-depth and more analytical)

    Use the following format please:
    Username:
    House:
    Story/Chapter Title and Author
    Link:


    You have until 11 PM EST on July 20th, 2007 to turn in your study. If you have a question, please PM me or Julie your questions. Good luck!

  2. #2
    bertiebott12
    Guest

    Kingsley S.

    Character Study-Kingsley Shacklebolt

    Username: bertiebott12
    House: Gryffindor
    Story/Chapter Title and Author: A Seed From The Ground by Seren
    Link: fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=34114
    Importantant Characteristics


    Report
    Kingsley Shacklebolt is a very interesting character in the books, but you have to really analyze him to get his true personality. It was displayed very well in this fic. Here are some things that I picked out to add on to him.

    Sighing heavily, he decided to take a brief respite before his feet decided to give out. Eyeing a small shop that appeared to be serving pastries and snacks, Kinglsey ambled over, hoping against hope that there was something extremely sugary there.
    This short passage actually tells us a lot about him. He doesn’t like to waste time, as you can see in the italicized text. If you were sighing heavily it could mean one of two things. One, he was very tired of walking, as it says later in the sentence. Two, it could mean that he doesn’t want to waste time on his Auror training, but knows he must in order to continue. I personally would root for the latter. Look towards the end of the passage, in the italicized text. This supports number two, meaning that if there wasn’t, he’d just wasted a lot of time.

    Another point about this passage is that he has a sweet tooth. Many times, people would just get water, but he decides to get something sugary. Read this passage, that supports what I just stated.


    Sighing heavily, he decided to take a brief respite before his feet decided to give out. Eyeing a small shop that appeared to be serving pastries and snacks, Kinglsey ambled over, hoping against hope that there was something extremely sugary there.
    It even says that he has a sweet tooth, so there’s another thing we can learn from a short passage.


    Halfway through his third bun, he felt something warm and wet on his knee. Cursing to himself, sure he'd spilled something all over his pants,...
    This shows that he gets angry at small things, and wants to look his best. Now, let’s look at this more closely. Who would want to look great if they were in a small cafe? That shows that he wants to be presentable for the people that are doing the training. That shows that he respects his teachers.

    A small Muggle girl was crying quietly, her tears falling all over his knee....”Hey," said Kingsley, trying not to be gruffy. "Hey. Kid. Are you alright?"
    This and several other passages show that he doesn’t really know how to act around kids. He seems to be very uncomfortable in this situation. Look at the short sentences. This suggests that he didn’t really know what to say. Also, if a child were standing there crying, would you call them kid? It wouldn’t be a very good way to comfort them. This shows, again, that he’s not around children very much.


    Kingsley was at a loss. 36 hour training sessions? Check. Battling against the most hardened veterans in the Auror field? No sweat. Going head-to-head with Dark Wizards? Not a problem.

    Dealing with weeping, barely coherent children? Kingsley started praying for something to strike him down with lightning.
    Here we have something that supports the above, but also adds a few new points of the analysis. One, hard things to most people seem easy to him (Auror training). Also, real-life issues that most people have to go through every day are very tough for him, because he hardly ever deals with them.


    Frantically, Kingsley tried to remember the protocol for when Muggles asked for his name. Deciding that a child probably wasn't going to press charges against him for bodily assault, he decided to give her his real name.
    This proves the he doesn’t act well under this kind of pressure. He gets nervous when dealing with these issues.



    So, I’ve come to the conclusion that Kingsley Shacklebolt doesn’t handle children or real-life issues very well, because he’s always training and doing Auror work.

    The author did a great job writing this fic, and gave us so many doors to explore, concealing little details throughout the fic, even in the dialogue.

    *Claire*

    Beth: I like how you picked out small details, like Kingsley's sweet-tooth. My favorite part of your analysis was Kingsley's meeting with the girl. However, some of these details were minute and seemingly not important. For example, when Kingsley spilled something on his pants, 'angry' might have been a strong word. I think anyone would've had the same reaction if they spilled coffee too; those stains are hard to come out! 10 points for your analysis

  3. #3
    padfoot_returns
    Guest
    Username: padfoot_returns
    House: Hufflepuff
    Story/Chapter Title and Author: A Seed From The Ground by Seren
    Link: fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=34114

    What are his important characteristics?

    In this story, Kingsley showed a wide variety of characteristics.

    Muggles were a very strange lot.
    From that sentence right there, we can gather a lot from him. We can gather that he hardly knows anything about Muggles and the Muggle world. We can tell that he did not grow up with Muggles. That is not necessarily a good thing because being an Auror means that you sometimes may have to deal with Muggles, but isn’t that why he is doing the eight hour thing?

    Eyeing a small shop that appeared to be serving pastries and snacks, Kinglsey ambled over, hoping against hope that there was something extremely sugary there.
    Claire said that this quote indicates that he has a sweet tooth, but I would just like to add that this does not mean that he always has a sweet tooth. Perhaps he only wanted something sweet at that time because having to sit and do nothing for eight hours isn’t an easy task and one may want something sweet to pump up his energy.

    As he began to maul his way through the box, he considered the sheer irritation that came with Auror training.
    This quote shows that he is very ambitious. While he does not like waiting, he wants to become an Auror so much to the degree that he does not mind waiting for eight hours. This shows his great ambition to become an Auror.

    He frowned at his pants... jeans, they called them, and his shirt. He was so used to loosely-fitting robes. He decided that whomever had invented t-shirts did so out of pure malice and hate for all humanity, as he was sure he was going to suffocate from the neckline.
    This quote just proves what I said in my first point.

    Halfway through his third bun, he felt something warm and wet on his knee. Cursing to himself, sure he'd spilled something all over his pants,
    As Claire said, this shows that he always likes to look presentable when around people. I would also like to add that this shows that he has a lot self-discipline. A person with self-discipline would not allow himself to look untidy.

    Kingsley was at a loss. 36 hour training sessions? Check. Battling against the most hardened veterans in the Auror field? No sweat. Going head-to-head with Dark Wizards? Not a problem.

    Dealing with weeping, barely coherent children? Kingsley started praying for something to strike him down with lightning.
    This simply shows that he does not know what to do with children. He has never handled them and does not know how to. This also shows, while Auror work very hard, parents do also.

    "It'll be okay," he said in what he hoped was a soothing voice.
    This quote shows that he is at least trying to take care of the kid. Even though he has no idea what to do, he does not give up easily and will try his best to succeed.

    He looked regretfully at his sweets, put them back in the box, and took off at a hurried pace.
    This shows that he puts other before himself. He gave up his sweets just to help this girl he just met. He had no obligation to help her, yet he still did.

    "He taught you all that?" asked Kingsley suddenly, curious.
    He kind of seems surprised in this quote meaning that he surprises himself by his accomplishments. This may mean that he does not have a lot of confidence in himself.

    How does he react in different situations and what does it mean?

    Kinsley reacts differently to different kinds of situations. He does not react well to pressure shown by this quote:

    Frantically, Kingsley tried to remember the protocol for when Muggles asked for his name.
    While he may not react well to pressure, he tries his best to solve problems, even though he has no idea how. He decided to help the girl even though he’s had no experience with children. He decided to talk to the girl and not ignore and he tried his best to soothe her and help her out.

    What words would be used to paint his picture?

    I think the best words would be that he is a hardworking, selfless man who does not give up easily, tried his best in everything, and puts others before himself.

    How did the author help you draw your conclusions (ie, did the author’s tone words/dialogue/descriptions play an important part in characterizing him)?

    Everything the author wrote in the story helped me draw my conclusion. The way he reacted to different situations, what he said, and what he thought in reactions to those situations. The way he spoke to he girl and the way acted toward her all helped come to a conclusion about him.

    xxPaddy

    Beth: Interesting. Your analysis was well-rounded. You didn't need to actually answer each of my questions separately though; for example, I got a good idea of how Kingsley would react in different situations under your analysis of important characteristics I would've liked more depth in some of your analysis. Some of those one-liners could've been expanded. 13 points.

  4. #4
    Sour.Apple.
    Guest
    Username: Sour.Apple.
    House: Slytherin
    Story/Chapter Title and Author: Purgatory by AlexisTaylor
    Link: Here

    What are his important characteristics?

    It gave him an opportunity to create a new destination and mission each time. In less than five minutes, the Prime Minister had crossed the globe no less than three times. He had even cured world hunger.
    Honestly, I simply adore this line. Even though Kingsley is stuck to desk duty for half a day, he still finds amusement in it. An average person would just come up with a single bland story, yet Kingsley came up with several through-out the day. It takes a unique personality to find comedy in a boring situation.

    It was difficult, to say the least, to constantly lie to the press, Parliament, and everyone else about the truth of the war at hand. Constantly, he heard his grandmum in the back of his mind, scolding him for the life he’d chosen, one of cruelty, pain, death and ruin.
    The guilty tone in this excerpt, to me, is overpowering. Kingsley feels bad about his life choices, even enough to spend hours mulling over them, yet he stays in the business. He could easily resign his position as ‘secretary’ and find a quieter, less guilt-bringing job. Yet he sticks with it.

    Also, so far in the Harry Potter series we haven't seen many —if any— wizards who regret lying to Muggles. After all, they are considered the a sort of defenseless enemy since the wizarding world has to hide themselves from them. They erase Muggle’s memories, protect their buildings against them, and manipulate their thoughts so they won’t accidently come across a magical object, yet Kingsley feels bad about lying to them. Lies that are for their own protection against a swell of panic. Does this sound odd to anyone else?

    There was never anything quite like a beautifully rounded arse to distract a man from undying guilt.
    A very ‘guy’ thing to say. I just like how his personality is rounded out.

    Kingsley planned to leave exactly ten minutes after the former, timing it so that he would have the perfect amount of time for securing the premises and checking on the situation in the village of Châtel without any curiosity from other guards. He would be waiting at the gate as the Prime Minister arrived, impeccably dressed and ready to assist. He felt at his front pocket for the pad and pen he kept on hand to appear the dutiful secretary, but felt no lumps...He cursed to himself before dashing a retreat around the corners, angry that his schedule would be off for the rest of the day.
    He’s very prepared, although I suppose this is a must considering his job. His promptness is notable. Also, his anger over his forgetfulness is an important point. Obviously, if it is something that angers him, it doesn’t happen very often.

    A short nod was all that came in answer before Kingsley left the room, let out all the air in his lungs, and hated himself for every step he took away from that room, knowing he assigned a woman to her death without knowing her circumstances. Such power over a person’s life felt grotesque. Grandmum would have been ashamed of him.
    Again, with the guilt-factor, although this one is more dramatic. The point must be made, however, that he was thinking clearly when he mentioned the name of who had been working with the Death Eaters to eliminate the Prime Minister. Even after thinking if over and reevaluating his options several times, he still made the same decision. Although guilt seems to be an influential part of his life, he doesn’t seem to take too much of it to heart, does he?


    How does he react in different situations and what does it mean?

    Kingsley’s face went deadpan. His hand moved to his forehead, kneading his temple. Unthinkingly, he rambled his thoughts aloud in a tone no stronger than a steady, gutteral whisper.
    This is his description as he divulges his conclusions over what had happened the previous morning. Although some might have been happy they had solved the mystery, Kingsley seems unable to find pleasure in the fact since it turned out to be bad news. I find it surprising that a man who worked as an Auror and has presumably been faced with their bad share of news still has so many issues sharing it with others.

    Kingsley stood ramrod straight, and appeared to be the picture of patience and regality while his mind was churning and ticking away inside.
    He’s good at hiding his emotions. Even though his insides were quivering, and he was having hard times keeping his thoughts straight, to an average on-looker he would have appeared completely at peace. We can assume from this that he has faced his bad share of anxiety problems and has consequently conquered them.

    What words would be used to paint his picture?

    Your eyes have the look of a frozen monster, Shackles. The devil himself would want for them, if you would only willingly give yourself to him.
    Does this send chills up anyone else’s spine? This, by the way, is Kingsley thinking to himself. If someone can admit their own frightening appearance to himself with such ease, it makes you wonder how many times they have heard it from someone else.

    Geoffrey’s eyes widened slightly when he spotted Kingsley, just as they usually did. The man that used to be known as Shackles was certainly a formidable sight. Tall, dark, and with a shining smile, he was usually the most noticed person in a room; unless he was in a room with a world leader, that is.
    Imagine a person who you see every day and each day their appearance shocks you. That’s an odd thought for me to fathom, although it is extremely powerful.

    Also, I feel the cunning would be a good descriptive word for Kingsley in this fanfic. He uses his wits to find comedy in his boring situations and to solve his problems.

    How did the author help you draw your conclusions (ie, did the author’s tone words/dialogue/descriptions play an important part in characterizing him)?

    My conclusions were mainly drawn from the dialogue. AlexisTaylor displayed Kingsley’s personality around different characters with varying influential power extremely well. Consequently, the reader could infer how his personality differs around, say, a close friend or a powerful boss. Through this we can get a complete overview of his personality.

    Beth: Excellent analysis. I loved how you looked beyond words into the core of Kingsley's character, like your analysis of his emotions and ability to overcome anxiety. You seemed to have gotten a lot out of the story that focused around Kingsley. You say that you had gotten a lot from dialogue, but all of your examples were descriptive. I would've liked to see Kingsley's interaction with people, but overall, it was a great analysis. 17 points.

  5. #5
    meryal
    Guest
    Username:Meryal
    House:Gryffindor
    Story/Chapter Title and Author Kingsley and the Giant by Rain Darkwood
    Link: here

    What are his important characteristics?

    gliding like solid ghosts over the gnarled tree roots and rotted leaves that covered the forest floor. They did not speak to each other as they walked; they simply trudged on, their long black cloaks hiding their forms so that they appeared as no more than a short man and a tall man, the taller one leading the way.
    Kingsley is quiet as he leads the shorter man. The shorter one does not know what the plan is, or what they are going to do, to achive their mission, but he still follows Kingsley anyway. It is very telling on how Kingsley garners so much respect that people will follow him, despite not knowing what they are fulling getting into.

    The taller man, revealed in the sunlight, was black and wore a stony expression as he stared unblinkingly ahead and listened.
    Kingsley is focused, planning, and careful. He is observant and doesn't overlook anything. By listening for signs, he is double checking what he already thinks is true.

    Shacklebolt answered this as though he had answered the same question ten times already, the smallest trace of impatience showing through his normally calming tone.
    However, he does get irratated. Kingsley seems to be the type of person, that when focusing, doesn't like to be distracted, until he's finnished. While he gets impatient, he doesn't get angry or rebuke him, which shows his patience.

    "You heard me, Callidus. I won't explain it now, but just stay here, and I will be back soon."
    Yet again, when orders are followed, Kingsley shows his skill as a leader.

    It couldn't be plainer that the short man was not used to hearing his first name from Shacklebolt.
    As a leader, he doesn't seem to befriend people. He isn't cruel or rude, but he does seem to keep his distance, if usuing the younger Auror's first name is such a shock to him. His job is his job, and seems very seperate from the rest of his life.

    Without hesitation, Kingsley walked into the cave.
    Here Kingsley shows how brave he can be. He is walking into the cave, by himself where he knows he will face a giant. Without hesitation he is able to walk into the cave, not knowing what will come of him. He is confident in himself, and capable, which is what makes him a good Auror.

    Kingsley shook his head wearily. "The giant had to underestimate us, so only one of us could approach him. And I never would have dared to fight it in that cave."
    He preplanned how they were going to capture the giant, knowing what the giant's weakness was. Kingsley is intellegent, and is able to think analytically to get what he wants.

    How does he react in different situations and what does it mean?

    Kingsley remained rooted to the spot for a full minute before making his move. With his wand at the ready and his legs bent, prepared to move, He shouted loudly into the silence of the cave.
    "Kroz!"
    The giant suddenly rolled with amazing agility onto its back and began to rise, Kingsley nearly toppled to the floor despite his careful stance. As it rose to nearly its full height, the giant's head turned in every direction, searching for the noise so wildly that it took seevral seconds for it to realize where Kingsley stood. It stared at his for a few seconds, and then reached for him with unlikely dexterity.
    No matter what the mission is, he always acts with a calm demeanor. In the quote, before he wakens the giant, he is already prepared to move, if the giant reacts to him negatively. He doesn't tend to lose his head at all. Being an Auror is a very suitable profession for him.

    What words would be used to paint his picture?

    Kingsley is an intellegent, brave, focused, careful, impatient, but without real temper. He is a good planner, and not rash, knowing what he want to do and how to achieve it before he runs into danger. He is a good leader, who is able to garner respect, and doesn't abuse that while still being a leader. However, he not particuarly close with the people he leads on missions, which gives the impression that he keeps his job life seperate from the rest of his life. He seems to be the type of person that doesn't like having his life disorganized, and likes to have a firm handle on what is going on in his life.

    How did the author help you draw your conclusions (ie, did the author’s tone words/dialogue/descriptions play an important part in characterizing him)?

    Yes absolutely. The description that Rain Darkwood used was very strong. However, while we don't see him in family sense, we do see him and how well he works.

    Beth: A very comprehensive view of Kingsley. You are able to look beyond words and into the characteristics of Kingsley that are implied. However, you have quite a few spelling mistakes that took away from the analysis. 12 points.

  6. #6
    Marauder by Midnight
    Guest

    Character Study - Narcissa Malfoy

    Character Study
    Narcissa Malfoy

    It's been a while since we had our first, and last, character study. So let's revive it

    Narcissa Malfoy is a very complex character, as we can see in HBP and DH. But how do your fellow writers interpret her? Do they see her as a fragile wall flower or a powerful woman who has more to lose than gain? Does she have eyes for only her family or does she have a secret love?

    Your task is to find a story, or a chapter, featuring Narcissa Malfoy and discover the roles and adjectives associated with this character. The questions you should ask yourself as you explore this character should be:
    • What are her important characteristics?
    • How does she react in different situations and what does it mean?
    • What words would be used to paint her picture?
    • How did the author help you draw your conclusions (ie, did the author’s tone words/dialogue/descriptions play an important part in characterizing her)?


    However, do NOT limit yourself to these questions; they serve only as a guide in your analysis of this character.

    When giving your report, please include relevant quotes from the story you read to support your conclusion.

    Do NOT use chapters from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. There are several stories on the Mugglenet Fan Fiction databases that feature this interesting character.

    You may use outside sources, such as The Lexicon, for a guide if it helps you. (Here’s the link to her description)

    Do not waste time giving us a physical description of Narcissa Malfoy unless there is some significant detail that helps in your conclusion.

    A possible 25 points for a study of the character (5 points for participation). One study per person please. Marauder by Midnight will be the sole judge for this activity. I will look for:
    • clarity
    • creativity
    • accuracy
    • attention to detail


    If a story already has a study done on it, to do a study on the same story, you must add more to your study. Because you have the ability to see which story already has a study done on it AND what that member has said about Narcissa Malfoy, find additional information and do not repeat what has been said.

    An example:

    Quote Originally Posted by #1
    In Sheepskin Willy’s story, Narcissa's love for sour worms reflects her enjoyment of candy that tingles her tastebuds.
    Quote Originally Posted by #2
    As #1 pointed out, Narcissa does show a liking toward something Muggle-made. This not only shows that she secretly admires her headmaster's opinions, but also that she herself is beginning to give into the ideology she had long been taught to hate.
    (Though #1 and #2 wrote on the same story, #2 went more in-depth and could therefore earn the same number of, if not more, points as #1.)

    Use the following format please:
    Username:
    House:
    Story/Chapter Title and Author
    Link:

    You have until 11:59 PM EST on December 18th, 2007 to turn in your study. That's quite a while. If you have a question, please PM me your questions. Good luck!

  7. #7
    bertiebott12
    Guest
    Hi Beth!

    Cissa is a great character to delve into.

    My username, obviously is bertiebott12. My house is Gryffindor, and I am basing my dicussion on the fic, Better off This Way by NorskHeksen.

    http://www.fanfiction.mugglenet.com/....php?sid=51750

    Narcissa Malfoy is portrayed mostly the same way in fanon; a confused young woman that loves her son, but is torn between the Dark Lord, a man who all of her relatives serve, or the good of her only son, Draco.

    But, in this story, she is written in a way that adds more demensions to her character: dimensions that make her mor lifelike and believable. She isn't as torn, and shows that she actually has a firm belief. Draco is more worth it than serving Voldemort. It also shows, what I think she really would be like. She still has remnants of her heritage. It didn;t ever leave her completely, but she isn;t as strict as the Black family name is known to be.

    She had come to a point of evaluating her life, and she wondered how much was really worth it. She had a son who was worth more than anything in the world to her. She knew he could be a bit rude, even arrogant sometimes, but she loved him without exception.
    Everyone comes to a point when they consider, am I doing the right thing? I think that Narcissa really wonders in HBP and DH, about her being a Death Eater. She creeps up to getting curious, and then realizes what she's been doing. Look at the dark text.

    This shows that the Dark Lord didn't matter to her anymore. The only thing that she lived for was for her son. This is going against her family, and her "friends". Narcissa has love, and she finally understands what she needs to do. Draco was not benefiting from her actions before, as it suggests in the purple text. He was watching his parents' actions.

    If she knows that her son is rude and arrogant, and she is strong enough to know whether it is right, then she has come to understand right and wrong. Before, when she served Voldemort, she was a follower. Now, she has come to have feelings for herself, to choose a different path.

    She had married Lucius Malfoy to make her family happy. Always harping on to her and her sisters about how they ought to keep their family blood pure and not disgrace her family with any Mudblood rubbish. Well, she'd done it. She loved the son she'd gotten out of the marriage, and she really tried to convince herself that she loved Lucius.
    Lucius was a waste of marriage. I believe that she thinks that Lucius has turned her son out the way he has become. He was never a decent parent, so he left her to care for him. He would just influence him to serve. Narcissa never said a word. But, like I said, now, she is not afraid to voice her own beliefs.

    Apparently, Lucius followed what the Blacks thought. I think that he married Cissa, mostly because of her family name. The Blacks had been serving his idol for ages, and were strong in the Dark Arts. Also, Narcissa is a beautiful woman. He would look good, and find a family that would make him a popular man in Voldemort's rankings.

    Now, though, Narcissa had more at stake than she'd ever had before. She knew Draco was in danger, and she wished there was something she could do. Here she could only sit and question herself. Was it right to raise Draco this way? To let him follow in his father's footsteps? Should she have let him join the ranks of his father and the Death Eaters at all? Did she even have a choice?
    This also presents another point. Does she care about herself more than Draco? Before, I would have said the latter, but now I'm beginning to change my mind. I think that she cares for them equally. She is a smart individual, and I think that she could find a way to save him. When she says this, she is pressured, and it shows that she can keep under control in difficult situations. Then, right after that, she begins to think about how they have raised her son, and doubting it. There have been several times that lead up to this point.

    The fic also suggests Abuse. I'm not going to quote it, as some members aren't comfortable with this topic. Lucius might have mildly abused her when they first got married, but after GoF, he probably wasn't around to do anything to her. I think that this is a perfectly plausible reason that she might have served the Dark Lord. She was afraid of Lucius.

    So, there are so many windows to explore of Narcissa Malfoy, and this story opens them up. It hits you, so you always ask yourself, why didn't I think of that? Well, you can!
    Thank you!

    I might come back and add more later.

    *Clairey Potter*

    Beth: A more vulnerable view of Narcissa. You certainly were thorough in your description about her relationship with her husband and son, which was the focus of the story. However, I think you also missed a key detail about the story: Narcissa's opinion about the Death Eaters' beliefs. There are small statements here and there in the story that not only show that Narcissa is more devoted to her son than anything else but also that she is hesitant to stand behind the Dark Lord. Five points for participation and twelve points for content.

  8. #8
    LucillaJoanna
    Guest
    Username: lucilla_pauie in the archive, LJ here *as shown above-y*
    House: Hufflepuff
    Story: In White by Striped Candycane


    Narcissa Malfoy.

    In the early days, before the Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows, back when we had nothing of her but that expression of distaste and disdain, when I see her name, the first things that come to mind are superficiality and snobbery. She seemed the perfect sheltered wife and mother then, a perfect sheltered daughter before, and spoiled by it.

    What are her important characteristics?

    After HBP and DH, Narcissa is given more dimension, made less shallow, and appeared more human. But — and this ‘but’ is the size of one of Hagrid’s handkerchiefs — before this, many of us perceived her as nothing more than a doll, regally dressed for appearances and incredibly beautiful, but never has a mind of her own, or if she does, never asserts it.

    I think a better question would be, what are her most portrayed characteristics?

    Well, as I'm only beginning to read outside the pairings categories, what little I have seen of Narcissa in fanfiction are her... most times overly done and often insincere social graces, cluelessness or biting sarcasm, pathetic or angsty whinging, and, greatest of all, apathy.

    But these are not accurate--they are the taken from the cardboard profile of the cardboard trophy wife.

    In Literature, it is a popular device to have siblings that vary from each other by degrees. Narcissa is the youngest Black sister. Bellatrix, the oldest, is portrayed as having the extreme of boldness-- she serves a Dark wizard, and even kills for him. It isn't often that a woman is capable of killing.

    Next, we have Andromeda, who has daring herself, but in the 'happy' medium, both literally and figuratively. She was able to defy her family for love... but we didn't see her as an early member of the Order of the Phoenix. I think she should have been, because her indignant sister was on the other side, and Bellatrix might have targeted Ted Tonks as soon as she was done with Voldemort's orders... Think about it. Andromeda defied them, and then rather hid, as though cowed by her disgrace.

    Following literary tradition, in the sisters we see the brothers' nobility levels in reverse. In the male siblings, it's usually the youngest with the most noblesse oblige. In the Black siblings, Bellatrix is loaded with the opposite of noblesse oblige, Andromeda is middling, and Narcissa is left with a little of everything. No audacity, no courage, just a little of both.

    In White by Striped Candycane showcases my own early observations and hypotheses above about Narcissa. We’ve seen how Lucius acted and treated people. He held no compunction goading anyone, not even his own son. This domineering attitude may well be extended to his wife, too. And what wife accepts and submits to that but a ‘weak’ woman?

    Furthermore, Draco’s own spoilt upbringing points to a fault in his mother’s part. Typically, whether a child is spoilt or not rests on the mother’s hands. A child as conceited and demanding as Draco has been shaped that way after years of being indulged and never contradicted by his insouciant mother.

    Here in this throbbing one-shot, we see Narcissa during her wedding, as the painstakingly molded and carven porcelain doll that she is, family tradition and family fastidiousness ingrained into her:
    But Narcissa has never been in love. So all she feels now is a slight anticipation and a little bit of boredom and a sense of relief. At least now she knows she won't be turned out from her family's house. She is doing her duty.
    How does she react in different situations and what does it mean?

    For a second, she foolishly panics about her clean white shoes getting dirty, but quickly quells her feelings.
    On the surface, this quote shows her assiduity about appearances, but in another level, it shows how Narcissa is so used to being repressed, of keeping herself inhibited, for the sake of upholding family honor, that not feeling must almost be a habit to her.

    And yet, she does feel.
    Generations of brides have walked down this endless aisle like Narcissa does now, step by step. Generations of white silk dresses and cream white shoes and doubt.
    She observes. She isn’t witless as she is shallow.

    Narcissa solemnly pulls the veil over her face, where it hangs like a spider's web.
    This comparison of her bridal veil to a spider’s web hints of some rebellion deep in her heart. She acknowledges that her wedding is tainted, as a room is if it has spider webs.

    She just keeps it all inside, however. Foremost in her priorities is to do her family proud, perhaps even to make up for her sister Andromeda’s failure:
    They have been watching her her entire life, and she will not let them down now.

    …because Narcissa is a good daughter, and has learned her lines.
    What words would be used to paint her picture? 'Porcelain doll' isn't appropriate anymore, is it?

    A butterfly with wings furled or even pinched, depending on the timeline. It is pinched when she is a Black. When she becomes a Malfoy, it is furled by her own choice. A choice she seems acquiescent and comfortable with.

    How did the author help you draw your conclusions (ie, did the author’s tone words/dialogue/descriptions play an important part in characterizing her)? I wouldn’t have liked Striped Candycane’s piece if it is not up to date with the newer aspects of Narcissa shown to us by Jo Rowling.

    The story tells of one event, and yet it is filled with scenes, simple but eloquently drawn snapshots from Narcissa’s point of view, which rang of both pensiveness and indifference, very Narcissa, very Black.

    The story holds with the popular premise that Narcissa and Lucius’s marriage is too ideal to have been spontaneous and unplanned. When they first kiss as husband and wife, I don’t think affection abounded. Yet.

    …a fast, soft kiss, like a butterfly has alighted on her lips but then flown away from lack of nectar.
    What they must have felt instead is relief. They have done what is expected of them, after all. To Narcissa, this goes deeper. She is a woman, and upon marriage, a woman becomes caged. To Narcissa, this goes deeper, deeper still, because as a Black, she has already been in a gilded cage. Striped Candycane captured this in the story.

    This is it, it is over. There is no point in feeling wistful now, no point in caution. She is merely unfurling her wings for a brief instant, tasting liberty. Yet to what end? She is already trapped in a web of society and values, a web that only the strong and fearless can escape. But Narcissa is weak. She will be forever bound to the mould they have made for her.

    So she submits to fate…
    And so one begins to sympathize with this butterfly, which has flitted out of her old cage, only to enter another.

    Even though this story doesn’t go past the wedding night, we see the promise of the passion Narcissa displayed in DH. She submitted to fate, yes, but she didn’t submit numbly. Her senses were open. Her heart was open.
    The crickets are chirping softly. A single firefly lights up the darkness. Everything is covered in midnight-blue velvet, and if she looks behind her, she can see the lights of the mansion sparkling.

    Malfoy Manor is truly beautiful by night.

    …She starts walking towards the house, where she dreams her husband is waiting for her.
    Narcissa Malfoy, therefore, is not a weak woman, per se. She is a woman, that’s all. A woman aware and obedient to what’s expected of her, a woman conventional enough to be submissive to her husband and son, but also tender and ferociously loving enough to beg for them later, even with all that dignity and pride drummed into her.


    Beth: A very smooth and haunting study of Narcissa. The information you used to introduce your character study was a bit tedious; the long comparison between Bellatrix and Andromeda, while unavoidable, could have been more coherently related to the flesh of your review. You mentioned Andromeda - what role did Bellatrix play, if any? Your final conclusion about who Narcissa Black was was moving and powerful. Five points for participation and eighteen points for your study.

  9. #9
    leahsm2
    Guest
    Username:leahsm2
    House:Slytherin
    Story/Chapter Title and Author:Charity and Red Wine by Wings of the Morning
    Link:Link


    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder by Midnight
    Character Study
    Narcissa Malfoy
    I chose this story because it exemplifies the Narcissa I like best. This Narcissa is strong and capable and caught in between the receding previous generation and the emerging new generation of her family. I particularly like this story because of the neatly poetic way the author chose to frame her story.

    Narcissa knows exactly what death smells like - like burning wax and cloves and rain.
    The first segment deals with the death of Narcissa’s mother. Narcissa is taking care of her mother because Bella is already becoming unhinged and the other members of her generation have been disowned. This first portion takes place just after the events at Godric’s Hollow. Narcissa reflects on the events of that night while she sits with her dying mother. Lucius had burst into their room late one night, so overcome with emotion that at first Narcissa thought something was wrong with their son. She manages to calm him and fix the situation.
    And she did what her mother would have done, concocted a story of Imperius Curses and bribery and penance, and thus assured Draco a lifetime with his father.
    She handles the necessities of their upper class life, as well as her sister spiraling out to control. When she is called to administer to her mother, she hopes that the older woman can give her something to cling to, but she is too far-gone. It is during this segment of the story that we learn of the Black family tradition of allowing the invalid fourteen candles (roughly seven days) to either get better or pass. At the end of that time, the caretaker must take the sick person’s life.

    Narcissa knows exactly what death looks like - like brown leaves and red wine and white skin.
    The story moves forward a couple of years, and Narcissa is again called upon to take care of a dying family member. This time it is her father. Bella has been locked up in Azkaban, and she has left Lucius at home to watch Draco. She silently sits with her father, hoping she will not have to kill him. She dimly thinks of escaping her situation, but she, and the reader, knows she won’t.
    She will calmly walk away from here, leaving her father's house to its dust and disuse, and she will not return.
    This portion shows how Narcissa fells about her childhood, and the uncaring her parents taught her.
    .
    Narcissa knows exactly what death sounds like - like church bells and singing birds and the quietest wind.
    In the third portion of the story, Draco is now three-years-old. Narcissa has been called to her aunt and uncles house to administer to her dying Aunt Wallburga.
    Lucius is here, teaching Draco about his distinguished history upon the tapestry, aided by Uncle. She is struck, suddenly, by the callousness of it all.
    She is disgusted that her uncle would make her take care of her aunt, knowing what it means if the women persists past the fourteenth candle. He aunt murmurs Sirius’s name, which strikes Narcissa as either an act of lunacy or of a caring which comes a bit too late.
    In this portion, Narcissa puts the candle out a bit prematurely because of the lateness of the hour, in order, it seems to me, to get her young son out of a house clinging with death, but hesitates before doing the deed.

    Narcissa knows exactly what death feels like - like silken sheets and bloody hands and the shape of wood in her palm.
    In the final part of the story, Narcissa is called upon to administer to her uncle. She reflects on her son, Draco, now in his first year at Hogwarts. She pampers him and does all that is expected, but she is not proud of him, because he hasn’t lived up to her expectations of him. As she ponders her son, her uncle cries out his wife’s name. Narcissa looks into the old man’s gray eyes, the only thing he has in common with his own son Sirius, feeling his last thoughts are less than regretful, even tinged with malice.
    In periphery, the fourteenth candle dies. No, she whispers, Narcissa, and kills him.
    She has gotten better at upholding the family tradition.

    Beth: Very little actual analysis. All I got was the plot of the story; there wasn't any additional insight into Narcissa as a character. Five points for participation.

  10. #10
    padfoot_returns
    Guest
    Username: padfoot_Returns
    House: Hufflepuff
    Story/Chapter Title and Author: A Broken Wing by annie
    Link: clicky!!

    Narcissa Black was, in every aspect of her physical appearance, an angel.
    I somewhat agree with this. I would imagine Narcissa to be beautiful. She is Draco’s mother and look how he came out. But I wonder if she herself realizes her own beauty.

    Every women who passed by her on the street envied her and every man wished they could take her home with them.
    Again, does Narcissa realize how beautiful she is? It does not exactly say this in the story, but does she walk in the streets, seeming smug that the women envy her and that the men want her? Or is she completely oblivious to this?

    On the outside, Narcissa was perfect. But, as with everyone and everything, there is no such thing as perfection. If you looked deeper into her eyes, you would find a different story...
    I really like this. It makes Narcissa a human, just like the rest of us who are not perfect angels on the outside. This sort of answers my above question. Narcissa does care about her appearance. It also means that is somewhat ashamed of her flaws and tries her best to hide them with her physical appearance, perfection.

    From then on, they became close friends. Every moment she spent with him, and every laugh she shared with him.
    The first time I read this, I could not imagine Narcissa laughing and having fun and then I realized that at one point, she was a kid. Before all the Voldemort business, Narcissa was an innocent kid that laughed and played and had fun just like everyone else.

    When she started falling in love with him, she was worried that it would end their friendship.
    Again, this sort of backs up what I said before about innocence. Narcissa was once a girl who worried a lot about love when there was actually no reason to worry in the first place.

    On a cold October night, he asked her to be his girlfriend and she ecstatically accepted. That night, Narcissa believed she had found everything she could ever want.
    This shows that Narcissa did have the ability to love. It gives us a different input on how Narcissa may have been. The way a lot of people imagine her to have been in her teenage years is a person with no emotions and only followed what her parents told her to do. But this shows that she followed what her heart said.

    Lucius barely waited a week after their graduation to propose to her. Narcissa, equally eager to jump into an engagement with her true love, accepted immediately.
    A lot of people say that Narcissa was forced to marry Lucius for her reputation, but I like how this story shows that she did it because she actually loved him and not because he was pure-blood or anything like that.

    They were married a month later in the Hogwarts Great Hall. Dumbledore was the one who did the deed, and before the two newlyweds left to spend their honeymoon in Bulgeria, he wished Narcissa the best of luck with their marriage.

    "My two cleverest students married... Oh, how I've longed to see this day," he said with a twinkle in his eye just as they were leaving. Narcissa smiled and thanked him gratefully.
    I think this was a very important part in the story. The fact that Narcissa agreed for Dumbledore to do the deed shows that she liked the headmaster and that before and that no such hatred existed between them. Also, it shows that she also liked a Muggle-loving man and that it went against everything that had been brought up against. Another thing that shows that she liked Dumbledore is that when she “smiled and thanked him gratefully”. She wouldn’t have done that if she didn’t like him.

    Yet even though he began to go out every night, returning at the break of dawn, she still waited faithfully for him to return from work during the day. He spent at most 10 minutes in their huge residence before leaving again, but she treasured those 10 minutes more than anything. He was like a god to her: she worshipped the ground he walked on, and was willing to go to the end of the world to bring back a pebble if he asked her to.
    What can I say about this quote? I think it speaks for itself. Narcissa was blinded by love. When I read this, I got an image of slave, and in a way, she is. She has enslaved herself and only she can give herself freedom. This answers my previous question about whether Narcissa realized her own beauty or not. I think the answer is yes, but she is too blinded by her love for Lucius that she no longer cares to impress anyone but him.

    Narcissa would often talk to him about her day when he returned home from work. Sometimes, when he'd just experienced a particularly bad day, he'd slap her and tell her to shut up. "I don't want to hear any of your rubbish right now," he'd snarl. No tears escaped Narcissa's eyes; she simply nodded and obediently shut her mouth.
    I think that Narcissa not saying anything to Lucius shows a weak spot. Why didn’t she stand up to him? She is a Death Eater and has had to withstand Voldemort, but she cannot with someone like Lucius?

    When he left the house again, though, she would go up to their room, collapse onto the bed, and weep into her arms.
    Despite how said that she was weak for not standing up to Lucius, she is also in a way very strong for being able to keep in her tears for when he left rather then crying right there in front of him.

    Despite the nagging voice at the back of her mind that told her something was wrong, Narcissa let Lucius abuse her day by day.
    This shows that Narcissa knows something is wrong, but she just doesn’t want to except it. Even Narcissa isn’t that blind to know that Lucius does not love her anymore, but she just doesn’t want to hear the truth.

    Although his cutting words and sharp slaps wore her down both mentally and physically, she stood silently and took it in. "It's only temporary," she would tell herself whenever she was alone.
    As I said before, she doesn’t want to accept the truth that Lucius doesn’t love her and she even finds excuses to cover up the truth such as saying to herself, “It’s only temporary.”

    One afternoon, she told Lucius that a well-known wizarding musician was passing through town in an attempt to train any undiscovered talent as an apprentice. She eagerly asked him if she could go, not for a moment doubting that he would say no.

    To her shock and disappointment, he firmly told her to stay at home and forget about visiting the musician. Narcissa struggled to keep the tears in, but eventually they began flowing and she shamefully started crying into her hands. "Please, Lucius, this is my dream," she sobbed.
    I think this is the best quote to show that Narcissa is not her own independent woman. I take back what I said about her being strong for keeping in her tears. She couldn’t even manage that anymore.

    Narcissa lay completely still upon their bed. Her body was limp and one arm hung over the side of the bed. Her wand lay on the ground a few inches away, giving off the impression that it had fallen out of her hand. Lucius slowly approached her body, a dozen thoughts tumbling around in his mind but no emotions surfacing on his face. His eyes moved down from her closed eyes, to her slightly parted lips, to a small, folded note, lying on her chest. He picked it up with stiff fingers and opened it. Written on it were three words:

    "I loved him."
    Wow. She committed suicide. I think that this was her first and last act of independence. She didn’t ask Lucius if she could kill herself, but did it on her own accord. She had finally freed herself from her enslavement, but I think it foolish to do it in that way. If only she could have left Lucius, she would have also freed herself, but in a better way.

    xxRiham

    Beth: There were some very clever conclusions made in this study that were supported substantially by the (somewhat numerous) excerpts you provided. However, there were also portions of this study that I could not help but categorize as filler, with no real development or nothing really new or insightful. Five points for your participation and another ten points for your study.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •