Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British #5

StaceyLC
    What's another term for "going up in smoke"? Like, a secret's been exposed. In the US, we usually say "the cats out of the bag" or "the whole thing's gone up in smoke". Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I thought that other than that, there was another saying that you have.

If anyone's confused, here's an example:

“How does he even know about the Order, at all?” Harry demanded. “I thought it was supposed to be secret?”

“Well, everything goes up in smoke eventually, Harry,” Lupin said. “Obviously, someone let slip.”
    Is that okay? Or, is there another way of saying it.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Letting the cat out of the bag or going up in smoke would be perfectly fine.

ETA: The posts below this were getting out of hand and completely spammy. They have been moved. Please, if you are going to disagree, do so with corroborated facts. If anyone has any questions, please PM me rather than add more confusion to this thread. Thank you.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Lobena Bricatta

Grandparents

What are the tittle most commonly used for grandma and grandpa in england?

I may be dense but at least I'm cute
    Lobena Bricatta

**plotbunnies**
    StaceyLC,

You could say that 'everything gets out eventually, Harry'. I don't know if that's much better, but I tried.

Lobena Brittaca,

Gran, Granny, Grandmother, Grandfather, Grandad, etc. I don't know exactly, since I don't live in England, but I do live near there.

~Anne

EDIT: Granny would probably be more Irish...

AurorKeefy
    Another expression, which may well be used more prominently on the American side of the atlantic, that is used predominantly by people amongst the working class (though hardly exclusively) is "Nan" (grandmother).

Personally, I always referred to my grandmother as my grandma, though many more of my friends have used the word Nan.

In my area, Granny is used, but rather to describe an older non relative informally. For example, Albus might refer to his "Grandma Molly", but is unlikely (again in my circles) to refer to Granny Molly - unless he is VERY young. Equally, Scorpius - ruling out any other prejudices, might not know who Mrs Weasley is, but would refer to her as "a Granny".

apollo13
    I've always called my Grandmothers "Nanna" - Nanna Brown and Nanna Todd. But Grandma and Grandpa would be perfectly fine.

~Evie

**plotbunnies**
    I would disagree with you, Keefy, abouy Granny. I live in Ireland, and a lot of my friends use 'Granny' to describe their grandmother. Actually, almost all of them do. This may be a difference between the US and Ireland, because I have never heard Granny used as an older female who isn't related to you personally. For Lobena Brittaca, however, Granny might be good to use because although it might be slightly more Irish than British it is from the same area of the world.

Here I am, rambling. Probably the same place I'll be in an hour or two.

~Anne

Atomic01
    Common titles in the South of England are Gran, Granny, Nanny and Grandma, also Grandad, Grandpa and Gramps.

Regarding the puddings.... Spotted dick, jam rolypoly, steamed suet pudding with jam on top, bread and butter pudding or indeed just bread pudding, apple/blackberry/rhubarb crumble or pie... all will go nicely with custard (we don't call it warm custard sauce tho... just custard )

Werewolf_sympathiser
    I would use gran or nan. Grandma is more formal but sometimes still used. Um for grandad it's generally just that- grandad. Although I called mine Gamp (because I never could pronounce grandad when I was little) and my other grandad (who's still alive) is Papa because he's Scottish and I believe that's more common there. My godmother and step-grandma I've always known as Nonni but I think that's a variation on an Italian name for grandmother since her son in law is Italian so I would stick with Gran or Nan (or maybe Nana if they're little).

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    When Prince Harry was once asked, as a child, if he was intimidated by the Queen when he went to see her, I believe his response was "you mean Granny?"

Hope that helps.
    ~Kristy