Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British #5

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hello!

I wanna ask about the most famous sport in Britain. Is it cricket, rugby or polo?

Thank you!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

CCCC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginny Weasley Potter
    Hello!

I wanna ask about the most famous sport in Britain. Is it cricket, rugby or polo?

Thank you!
    Depends on the area. In most of it (particularly England) it's football (as in proper football/soccer). Wales is more rugby orientated, unsure about Scotland and Ireland (which have their own additiional sports etc).

Safe option is football.

Polo's restricted to the upper class/rich.

Cricket to a lesser extent is also quite middle/upper class. Football is easily first, I'd guess at rugby second but it splits off differently depending on areas.

TyrannoLaurus
    Tennis is popular too during the summer. Wimbledon et al!

AurorKeefy
    While Tennis is certainly popular as a spectator sport during Wimbledon, it fails to draw in the mass participation (certainly where I am from) that football, or even Rugby or Cricket, pulls in. Tennis is generally played by very few people at only certain points of the year, whereas football is played (to some standard or another) by just about anyone at just about any point of the year.

Of, and if you'd like a little piece of canon Britishness, Soccer (ie the football I mention above) is exclusively referred to as football, while US "football" is referred to as American Football. Any British male (and arguably female) referring to the UK sport as "Soccer" is acting superbly out of canon, as is any British person excepting American Football as "Football".

In my experience of teenage (and not so teenage) British males, the greatest crime the US has ever committed was it's attempt to rebrand football as soccer, and rebrand it's own padded version of Rugby as football.

Just so you know.

Snape's Talon
    Christmas dinner is served when, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Seems silly to have to ask, but my husband's family does their big dinner on Christmas Eve while my family does Christmas Day. Between the two, we end up eating far too much food. And when do folks typically start decorating for that holiday? Here in the States, stores start carrying Christmas decorations before Halloween. It's downright unnatural!

To further elaborate on the soccer/football thing, it is arguably the world's most popular sport. Every four years FIFA holds the World Cup. It's so big an event that some countries come to a standstill when their team plays and a war was started over it once (in South America where it's referred to as futbol).

And yes, we're the only country (US) to rename the darn sport.

TyrannoLaurus
    Christmas Day. Some of us even work Christmas Eve *cough*mymother*cough*

It depends when it comes to Christmas decs just how fantically ridiculous you are. I know some families do start just a little after Halloween, whereas I simply insist upon ours being up for my birthday (22nd). I know some of the more traditional families put theirs up just before Xmas Eve and keep them up only until twelfth night. Whereas others have put their tree up so blumin' early it has no pine leaves come Boxing Day. You really have quite a degree of freedom with it ... anytime after December 1st is reasonable. A family with young kids would probably put them up earlier. And don't forget to include cheesy neon lights plastered to the front of the house and garage <.<

And yes, I know what you mean about the country coming to a standstill for footie. England is ridiculous. Everybody waves silly plastic red and white flags - and so they get egged if they cross the Scottish border - and all huddle around one widescreem TV with beer and oud voices. Everytime they're convinced they're going to win. Everytime they get no further than the quarter-finals.

And I am talking too much as always. Really should go before I am charged 10 yuan instead of 5.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Ooh, thank you so much! It's interesting to learn more about Britons. And to add, along with tips for one of my fic, I've received even academic help over here. I recently changed from calling football 'football' to 'soccer' and if I would have written it in any english exam (one of hich is tomorrow... ) *hackAmericanwordsnotallowed*

So football, right? I don't know, but I think I had expected it to be cricket . I enjoy watching the World cup and all. But this year, during the cricket world cup, was it all hyped up there? I know that there are die-hard Dhoni and Tendulkar fans in India, and I was wondering about the 'star players' in Britain. What's the atmosphere like, during the World Cup? And who are the most hero-worshipped players?

Football: Is football played a lot when it rains? In my area, I can actually hear the guys screaming 'goal' when the rains are really, really heavy. So is it like that there? Are guys all over the world same?

Thank you!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

apollo13
    So football, right? I don't know, but I think I had expected it to be cricket . I enjoy watching the World cup and all. But this year, during the cricket world cup, was it all hyped up there? I know that there are die-hard Dhoni and Tendulkar fans in India, and I was wondering about the 'star players' in Britain. What's the atmosphere like, during the World Cup? And who are the most hero-worshipped players?

Football: Is football played a lot when it rains? In my area, I can actually hear the guys screaming 'goal' when the rains are really, really heavy. So is it like that there? Are guys all over the world same?
    Oooooh, yes - it rains a lot in England, but people will play their sports in all sorts of weather. Yesterday, we had hail stones the size of marbles coming down, and I found out this morning that the school netball match still went ahead.

Star players, well, it depends a lot on the team you support, but I'd say... David Beckham, but not so many people like him anymore,maybe because he went over to Spain, then back toEngland, and now over toAmerica, so it's pretty obvious that he's only after money... Peter Crouch - people either love him to bits (my cousin) or hate his guts (my dad)... Terrie Henry(sp? He's French), but he's just left Arsenal (c'mon Arsenal! )... um... I'm sure some one who knows more about football can tell you more...

Unless... Johnny Wilkinson is really big, but I think he's a rugby player... yeah, I'm sure me and my mum were chanting his name while we watched the rugby world cup - the only thing I've ever seen England win.

~Evie

AurorGirl101
    What would be the proper term for a maternity dress in Englad? Here in the USA we call them...er...moo-moos. They are really loose-fitting and usually a soft very breathable fabric (IE cotton ). I think I've heard the term 'house dress' before, but I would just like to confirm.

Thanks in advacned!!

CCCC
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13
    Oooooh, yes - it rains a lot in England, but people will play their sports in all sorts of weather. Yesterday, we had hail stones the size of marbles coming down, and I found out this morning that the school netball match still went ahead.

Star players, well, it depends a lot on the team you support, but I'd say... David Beckham, but not so many people like him anymore,maybe because he went over to Spain, then back toEngland, and now over toAmerica, so it's pretty obvious that he's only after money... Peter Crouch - people either love him to bits (my cousin) or hate his guts (my dad)... Terrie Henry(sp? He's French), but he's just left Arsenal (c'mon Arsenal! )... um... I'm sure some one who knows more about football can tell you more...

Unless... Johnny Wilkinson is really big, but I think he's a rugby player... yeah, I'm sure me and my mum were chanting his name while we watched the rugby world cup - the only thing I've ever seen England win.
    Thierry Henry.

Crouch isn't really much of an icon.

Beckham effectively had a argument with his manager and got the chance to play with the best players in the world (Zidane etc) so he went to Spain. He didn't come back to England but has gone to America, some say for the money, some say for the hollywood lifestyle (and back to an English speaking country).

Possibly because American Soccer is of a much lower standard so his diminishing talents won't get shown up as much (and he can stay playing football as long as he wants rather than having to fight for his place at a top club). He says he wants to be the face of American Football, expand the soccer schools he has over there and develop the game.

Football is a winter sport, so gets played in all but really heavy rain. Rugby matches are played under just about any conditions (I've played rugby matches on pitches it was possible to swim on in places).

Wilkinson is indeed a rugby player, probably the best known rugby player in Britain, but's been injured for the last 3 years or so. Still very famous.

Cricket world cup was quite hyped, nothing to compare to the Football or to a lesser extent the rugby ones though. Main famous players are Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff and Kevin Pieterson. But compared to India it's minimal.

It's important to mention the place in terms of heroes though, English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish fans would have heroes from their own national teams (exceptions made for players at the fans' preferred club).

What would be the proper term for a maternity dress in Englad? Here in the USA we call them...er...moo-moos. They are really loose-fitting and usually a soft very breathable fabric (IE cotton ). I think I've heard the term 'house dress' before, but I would just like to confirm.

Thanks in advacned!!
    Only term I've ever heard is maternity dress.