Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 167

Thread: Being British #5

  1. #141
    Just a spot would be fine, or a pimple or boil.


  2. #142
    zit really isn't an english word. I've only ever called them spots. Or blackheads if that is what they are.

  3. #143
    Would the word "Aunt" be converted into something else, partically in the Cotswolds region? Would using the word "Auntie" be appropriate? It's spoken by a little girl, if you were wondering.

  4. #144
    Yes, Auntie would be prefectly fine. I still call some of my aunts (the ones I have strong relationships with) Auntie, and I'm fourteen.


  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRayne
    I wanted to ask about Social Security and Life Insurance - how does Social Security work in Britian? For example, if someone died, would their family get a certain amount of money each month, or is it only for people who retire, e.t.c?

    Also, is it even called Social Security, or is it known by another name?
    Copy-and-pasting from an IM from someone who used to be known round these parts as GaryF:

    You don't get anything if someone dies, unless they were covered by life insurance which would be paid to named peoples in the policy as instructed by the deceased.

    If you don't have a will, you are said to have died "intestate" which means a court decides how things are done, how any property is distributed and who the beneficiaries would be.

    If you die without children or a spouse, but are survived by your parents, they will usually receive all of the assets.

    If you are survived by a spouse, they would receive everything of the estate

    If you are survived by a spouse and children, it is divided between them, as determined by the courts.

    If you aren't survived by any children, parents or a spouse it is split equally among your siblings.

    It isn't a legal requirement to have life insurance, and only 40% do - and are covered by a work insurance policy which pays out in the event someone dies while working for that company.

    If you retire, you are entitled to a state pension, which is £350 a month.

    If you die the state gives you nothing (since you're dead). They might help with funeral costs as long as your taxes and national insurance was paid, but that would be about itóand then the amount the family would get would come from the deceased's national insurance contributions.

    (Then he posted this):

    Bereavement Benefits
    What are they?

    There are three types of bereavement benefit. These may be payable on the death of a husband, wife or civil partner. Whether you are entitled will depend on the National Insurance contributions your partner paid.

    The three benefits are shown below.
    • Bereavement Payment is a lump sum of £2000 we pay to people who have been bereaved who qualify.
    • Widowed Parent's Allowance is a weekly benefit we pay to widowed parents who qualify.
    • Bereavement Allowance is a weekly benefit we pay to people who have been bereaved who qualify.

      Basic State Pension (per week from 9 April 2007): Based on your own or your late husbandís, wifeís or civil partnerís NI contributions, £87.30 Based on your husbandís NI contributions, £52.30 Non-contributory Over 80 pension, £52.30 Age Addition, £0.25

    Ultimately, they give you nothing that will ultimately help with bereavement; I think the current bereavement benefit is £87.30 a week.

  6. #146
    I am asking all ye Londeners whether or not there is a street that's fairly big in the middle of London which is mosltly pedestrianised. Like Grafton Street, in Dublin Ireland, if that's any help. If there isn't, I'll just make up one, but I wouldn't like to make one up if I don't have to.


  7. #147
    oh, i do love grafton street.

    there's Carnaby street, which is pretty famous.
    It's in Soho and is right by Oxford and Regent street. It's not that big... but it is also surrounded by smaller pedestrianised streets and a plaza.

    I think there are also plans to pedestrianise Oxford Street (totally ridiculous, how am I supposed to get the bus from one end to the other) so that could work if you are writing after 2010 or something.

    and there is also Covent garden. Which has a few markets and indoor areas and then some pedestrianised streets.

  8. #148
    Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?
    Magical Maeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    North Yorkshire
    I agree with Emma, Carnaby Street would be your best bet. It's now a fairly dull street compared to the mad rush that is Regent Street and Oxford Street, but it's pretty much at the heart of the shopping district, and it's the closest thing to Grafton Street I think you're going to get. (and if you continue down towards Golden Square there is a GREAT bead shop, but I digress... )

    Leicester Square is also pedestrianised and is usually a very busy area. It has a lot of cinemas, restaraunts, ticket sellers etc. I'd say it had more of a buzz about it than Carnaby Street, but it's a square rather than a street.
    I'm not lost to you. You'll always be able to find me in your words. That's where I'll live on..

    The Book Thief

  9. #149
    Thanks!! I'll go and change my street names now.

    Thanks again,

  10. #150
    Another question:

    So when you have a crush on someone, in America we would say, "He has a thing for you", which I'm not entirely sure is common in Britain. Is there anything unmistakably British that would work in this case?

    This is for a Marauder Era story, if that makes a difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts