Attorney at law is just a fancy way to say lawyer. Here is the Wikipedia definition:

An attorney at law (also known simply as an attorney or lawyer) in the United States is a person licensed to practice law by the highest court of a state or other jurisdiction. Alternative terms include attorney-at-law and attorney and counselor (or counsellor) at law.
It then goes on to say that the American legal system has a fused/united profession,and therefore does not discriminate between lawyers that do/do not plea in court. The British system does, so there is the solicitor and barrister/advocate split. The barristers rarely become involved in a case unless they are needed to provide advocacy for their client; the barrister give the solicitors specialized advice and solicitors have more direct contact with the client.

As you've probably already guessed, I'm doing the August One-Shot Challenge. I think I've figured it out now, so you don't really need t make a comment unless you've got something you need to tell me.

-reads up on British court procedure and realizes why I don't want to work in law-

-Stubby