Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Voldemort

lily meet ginny

the end dh spoiler

DH Spoiler

Question: Does anyone who has read book seven think that voldemort might have had death eaters in other places while the last battle was going on, or would he have summoned them all to his side as soon as he thinks the fight is beginning? Would he have left his followers in important places, arrogantly thinking that the battle would be short and was already won? Thanks for your input.

kathyhermy123
    lily_meet_ginny, I think that your suggestion is very likely. However, I feel that it would be more a matter of prudence than of arrogance - it would be the highest level of foolishness to move all forces to one point and expect that there were no other rebellious souls in England.

~Kathy

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by lily meet ginny
    DH Spoiler

Question: Does anyone who has read book seven think that voldemort might have had death eaters in other places while the last battle was going on, or would he have summoned them all to his side as soon as he thinks the fight is beginning? Would he have left his followers in important places, arrogantly thinking that the battle would be short and was already won? Thanks for your input.
    This is a matter of some debate. We know that Karkaroff was a Death Eater and that they teach the Dark Arts at Durmstrang, and Lucius Malfoy seriously considered sending Draco there. It's somewhat reasonable to assume that some of the Death Eaters did go to Durmstrang or send their children there when Karkaroff was Headmaster.

Snape told Fudge that the Dark Lord marked them so they could identify each other, and Karkaroff said during his trial that none of the Death Eaters knew who all the others were, but the ones that were MOST important to him; Snape, his literal right hand; Malfoy, previously entrusted with a Horcrux; Bella, entrusted with Horcruxes *and* the tool to destroy them, and Wormtail, his (apparent) errand-boy: they were all at Hogwarts.

Despite how he was portrayed in Deathly Hallows, the Dark Lord was the consummate Slytherin, and not just by bloodline. He was sly, cunning and manipulative, and with immortality on his side, the type to lay in a plan and be perfectly happy to wait the fifty or hundred or thousand years or whatever for it to pan out.

So while I think the Dark Lord was likely to have plans in place to eventually take over the entire Wizarding World and subjugate all Muggles worldwide, and while I think he at the very least sent out feelers and established some contacts, I sincerely doubt that his most adept, loyal and trusted followers were anywhere other than at the battle.

On the one hand, from a strategic standpoint, it is more advantageous for him for him to have his "tropps" (for want of a better word) see how he wants things done so he could, theoretically, deploy them out to different countries at the same time (Snape to Spain, Malfoy to France, Bellatrix to Italy, for example) so they could take over all of them at the same time. On the other hand, they can see how all powerful he is, and he can have them in better control that way so they don't get any ideas about attempting a coup.

The wizarding world isn't all that big, anyway, so it's not like there are an infinite number of people to convert to being a Death Eater. Not every pureblood is a Death Eater sympathiser, not ever sympathiser is a supporter, not every supporter is actually a Death Eater.

So while I think it's possible he had Death Eaters in other locations, I think it's most probable they were all with him.

Beth: Good discussion. 5 points. - awarded

I_LUV_MOONY
    For the Patronus question, I don't think Voldemort can have one not because he doesn't feel love, but because he doesn't need to feel protected. A Patronus is supposed to be your guardian, something you feel safe with. Voldemort feels like the ultimate wizard; he doesn't need to rely on another being (whether human, magical, etc.) to protect him.

wewillmissyou
    I gree with I LUV MOONY, I doubt Voldemort would have a Patronus! But if you really want him to have one it would be a snake..

Stubbornly_appeared

Arrow Patronous and Lily and World Domination- oh, my!

Okay, first things first (and I may be behind the times here):

I really don't think Voldemort would have sexual relations with anyone. The only reason I could see would be for toture, but a Crucio works as well. Unless he wanted something more henious then that, as rape pretty much is....

As for a Patronous, riddle (pardon the pun) me this- what would the dementors suck from him? Since none of his happy memories would be the sort of thing they would want to take away... would he need a Patronous?

And on the topic of him taking over the world. Of course he would of, I'm sure, but after he had completely destroyed England and Harry. Also, it takes some time to get around. As of DH, he's really only been back in a body for 3.5 years. Grindelwald never made it out of Germany/eastern Europe, and people in England have heard of him. Imagine how much everyone around the world fears Voldemort. Compare how Americans felt about Hitler/Saddam Hussien. Plus, in Potterwatch, they mentioned Voldemort sightings abroad (when he was looking for the Deathstick). So he moves around a bit.

Of course, you do have a fair bit of creative license, but it's always good to keep nicely in canon.

-Stubby

queen fan
    Quote Originally Posted by wewillmissyou
    I gree with I LUV MOONY, I doubt Voldemort would have a Patronus! But if you really want him to have one it would be a snake..
    Voldemort wouldn't even need a patronus. Patronus's are meant to protect you from dementors, they are on his side. Why would they be attacking him? The only other thing a patronus is used for, is sending messages. Dumbledore invented that for the OOTP, and only they know how to conjure that. But if Voldemort would have a patronus, the patronus would be a snake. He talks to snakes, part of him is in a snake (horcrux=nagini), and he has a snakelike heir (I think?).

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by queen fan
    Voldemort wouldn't even need a patronus. Patronus's are meant to protect you from dementors, they are on his side. Why would they be attacking him? The only other thing a patronus is used for, is sending messages. Dumbledore invented that for the OOTP, and only they know how to conjure that. But if Voldemort would have a patronus, the patronus would be a snake. He talks to snakes, part of him is in a snake (horcrux=nagini), and he has a snakelike heir (I think?).
    The Dark Lord has no heir, but he is the last known descendant of Salazar Slytherin, who was also a Parselmouth.

I, too, agree the Dark Lord wouldn't have a practical use for a Patronus, for two reasons:

1. He commands them. This is borne out in canon by:
      • In Goblet of Fire, the Dark Lord says the Dementors will rejoin them (the Death Eaters and the Dark Lords) as the Dementors are their (the Death Eaters') natural allies.
      • In Order of the Phoenix, they allow the Death Eaters to break out of Azkaban
      • In Half-Blood Prince, it is announced that the Dementors have abandoned Azkaban and have indeed joined the Dark Lord
      • In Deathly Hallows, they more-or-less fight along side the Death Eaters
      • And last, but certainly not least, and you'll forgive me for posting this out of order, in Prisoner of Azkaban, after Wormtail transforms into his Animagus form, he dashes off. As a rat. With reasonably short legs. Sirius Black, within a *MINUTE*, is advised of this, likewise transforms and dashes off in pursuit. Transforms itno a HUGE DOG. With a good nose and much longer legs. Yet, before Padfoot can catch up to Wormtail, the Dementors attack him. The only decent explanation for this, given that Sirius had been in and out of the grounds all year in his Animagus form, is that Wormtail tipped them off, but they wouldn't listen to "just anyone".
    2. Even if he were inclined to "attack" him, as an Occlumens, he can defend against them without it. This is also borne out in canon by:
      • The Dark Lord employing Occlumency against Harry (so Harry can't see what the Dark Lord is "up to"), in Half-Blood Prince
      • Also in Half-Blood Prince, Snape and Harry have an argument over the "best way to tackle a Dementor". Harry, who can, and has, repeatedly cast a Patronus successfully against a Dementor believes that to be the best way; Snape, the Master Occlumens, disagrees
      • And finally, from Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, Bellatrix not only survived fourteen years of Azkaban and the Dementors, she also knows Occlumency

However, I'd still stay shy of saying (ooh, say that five times fast! </random>) that the Dark Lord is *incapable* of casting one; he may well have learned how to cast it, used it go get his grades (remember, he had top grades in all his exams—that's not something you get by charm alone), and then simply not have cast one again because he thought the entire idea was foolish.

pokethedevil
    DH Spoilers

On the night that Voldermort first attacked Harry, when he fired the curse at him and it rebounded, why did the part of his soul inside his body not vanquish? Why did it have to attach itself to the only other living creature around? Why didn't that part just die,wasn't the killing curse supposed to finish it?

mattyjam
    I was always a bit confused about this part myself, and the logistics of Voldy making Harry into a Horcrux.

There is so much JKR did not answer about the Killing Curse. The effects it has on near misses and the like, or effects if rebounded.

Protego supposedly can repel anything, which justifies Lily being able to protect Harry, but it doesn't explain any of the "how to's" or "effects" of the process.

JKR said a misfired sectumsempra severed Georges ear...so if it was AK that grazed him...would anything have happened?

I guess I just needed more explanation of the Lily, Harry, Voldy stuff too. What I would really like to know, is how...