Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: U.S.A. Culture and Language Help

Inverarity
    We have Haribos, but we only use the generic name "Gummi bears." Most Americans wouldn't recognize the Haribo brand name.

Josh
    Thanks!
    Can youahve different types of "Gummi Bears" so to speak, like in England we have Tango ones which are coated in england, or do you just have the jelly sweets?

Anyway, thanks for your help, it's very useful in my story =]

~Josh

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    There are abunch of different companies that make gummy bears, but I doubt that anyone hear would be able to tell you what they are. Gummy bears are just gummy bears. If start added the brand name as well, you'll more than likely be getting some strange looks.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Josh
    Okay lol...

I had another question,

Are hall monitors widely used and what do they do etc. I'm not sure if it's just stereo-stypical or if it's common practice.

~Josh

cmwinters
    I was out of school before Harry Potter entered Hogwarts, so whether hall monitors were in use in public schools during that era, I couldn't tell you, but I never even heard of one except through fiction and I went to a number of different schools, public and private, in a couple of states.

It may depend on what era you're writing and where. If you're writing "Harry Potter at Hogwarts" or post that era, then maybe. If you're writing prior to that, at a Muggle school, you need to explain why you need one in the first place, I think. If you're writing at Salem or some other American academy of magic, I'd just use the portraits like they do at Hogwarts (since fhe suits of armour are a little less likely).

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    I was out of school before Harry Potter entered Hogwarts, so whether hall monitors were in use in public schools during that era, I couldn't tell you, but I never even heard of one except through fiction and I went to a number of different schools, public and private, in a couple of states.

It may depend on what era you're writing and where. If you're writing "Harry Potter at Hogwarts" or post that era, then maybe. If you're writing prior to that, at a Muggle school, you need to explain why you need one in the first place, I think. If you're writing at Salem or some other American academy of magic, I'd just use the portraits like they do at Hogwarts (since fhe suits of armour are a little less likely).
    It's set in a muggle school at the present time. I don't really need one, but it would be useful to know as it would help the plot.

Thanks for your post, but could anyone else shed some light on this?

~Josh

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    My elementary school (the first six grades plus kindergarten) had hall monitors, or, as we called them, safety patrols. Hall patrols would stand in the hallway and remind people to walk instead of running and stuff like that, but that was only before school started and after the bell rand for the end of the day. There were bus patrols who would enforce bus safety (where else?) on the buses. They would also be responible for making sure the students stayed out of the street when they were waiting at the bus stop.

Now that I'm in high school we just have administrators walking around. ("Do you have a pass?", "Get to class!", etc.)

I hope this helps!

Smiles,
    Luna

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville's Girl
    My elementary school (the first six grades plus kindergarten) had hall monitors, or, as we called them, safety patrols. Hall patrols would stand in the hallway and remind people to walk instead of running and stuff like that, but that was only before school started and after the bell rand for the end of the day. There were bus patrols who would enforce bus safety (where else?) on the buses. They would also be responible for making sure the students stayed out of the street when they were waiting at the bus stop.

Now that I'm in high school we just have administrators walking around. ("Do you have a pass?", "Get to class!", etc.)

I hope this helps!

Smiles,
    Luna
    So do the administers constantly walk around during lessons? What's exactly a pass, you get it from your teacher to let you go to the toilet etc. right?

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    A hall pass is a piece of paper signed by your teacher giving you permission to go to the restroom or your locker or the water fountain or another classroom or the library. It's so they can make sure you're not skipping class.

The administrators walk around the school throughout the school day. There not like prison guards or anything but they just want to make sure you don't leave school and go home during the school day or do anything against the rules.

Smiles,
    Luna

Josh
    Cool, thanks alot!

Sorry for sounding a bit dim, I just didn't want to use the stereo-typical image and get it completely wrong!

~Josh